Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp will manage Arsenal if he leaves soonish.

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 35s35 seconds ago
    Brendan Rodgers' position at #LFC is not under immediate threat despite the club's poor start to the season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dont know where to start with yesterday. I saw the team and immediately thought we'd get bullied. Suprised to see Can not starting in what was obviously going to be a physical encounter.
    Few points....Sterling was lost up front - we needed to bring him back into midfield and get him running at people (do what bolaise was doing!!) get at the full back one on one and have a go off him. After about 30mins playing him at the edge of the box wasnt working, Rodgers should have changed it.
    Gerrard - get him out of the DM position pronto. We've taken the best part of his game and nullified it. Get him up the field in behind the striker in his best position. People have been running off in behind him for the last 3 years - he has no idea of danger until its too late.
    Mignolet - please please please replace him. That free kick that led to their 2nd was abysmal. He should be docked wages and dropped for that alone!! Still dont know why we got rid of Reina and replaced him with someone worse.
    Lovren - disappointed to say the least. He was one player I wanted at the club and he's been very very poor.
    I could go on but I wont. Gerrard looks like he's psychologically gone . Losing the league the way we did and Suarez has broken the team by the look of it. Is Steven Peters still involved with the club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Klopp will manage Arsenal if he leaves soonish.

It's insane to think that after qualifying for the CL and coming within a whisker of the PL title he could be getting turfed out but he has brought it on himself - the same tactics, players and formations. I think he has Ludo on Tuesday and if we lose THEN his job is under threat.

Augmerson wrote: »
    It's insane to think that after qualifying for the CL and coming within a whisker of the PL title he could be getting turfed out but he has brought it on himself - the same tactics, players and formations. I think he has Ludo on Tuesday and if we lose THEN his job is under threat.

Referring to Rodgers I take it? :D

How long is immediate is the question, the mere fact the word is mentioned is telling. Like I said last night three games is probably his grace period. Get through them he's fine, fail to and he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Our biggest problem is we cant defend.....at all.

Why cant Rodgers play a back 4 with 2 protective DMs in front of them to at least make us harder to beat?

Manquillo Toure Sakho Moreno
    Lucas Can

Allows full backs to attack, and we have cover. Also allows us to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break, with the pace of Sterling & Moreno, Coutinhos vision, and the likes of Hendo who will run all day

Southampton have Schneiderlin and Wanyama doing that and they have the best defence in the league.

We need a few clean sheets, and at present our best chance of CL next season is the Europa League.....we aint getting 3rd or 4th

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rodgers is under no threat.

It's people in the media that want to make this happen to fill up column inches. As for Neville on MOTD2 last night, he finished the analysis, about to move on to next segment, and Neville then jumps in to say there is doubt around Rodgers now. I'd say he got a reminder in the ear-piece to say that.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

His position should be under threat, absolutely. We've done a Tottenham. Defence is horrendous despite the players he has brought in. Midfield is melted through by the opposition. Strikers don't score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My main issue with Rodgers is his seeming lack understanding of defending.

The defensive issues have been there since day one and it is not about the players it is about the lack of coaching and tactics the players seem to be getting from him.

Rodgers does not show any intent on fixing the defensive issues through coaching for some reason.

You can use all the stupid qoutes about spending £100m etc etc quotes.

The most important quote he used was after the Chelsea game...
    "Defending like Chelsea is easy to teach"

This is the quote that could cost him his job in the long term if he can't sort out the defensive side of football.

His job shouldn't be under threat, yet.

Semi of one cup.
    Still in with a shout of getting out of CL group.
    5 points from 4th.

The team is playing muck but a quick look at Newcastle shows how it can turn around very sharply.

Ffs, they even had banners at matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We'd be doing well to have done a Tottenham.

Kinda related, and haven't seen it mentioned but would AVB be a good fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Turtyturd wrote: »
    We'd be doing well to have done a Tottenham.

I dunno. But I'm sure there's some handy link floating around that could make a case for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The operative word in Ben's earlier statement was immediate. We are still in all 4 competitions and 4th place is still a possibility, so talk of dismissing him not is just ridiculous. However, this might change in a months time.

People really need to stop throwing that Chelsea quote around out of context.

It was a specific type of defending he was talking about, which he has never tried to do.

He is a fraud. AVB could very well be getting the sacked if Zenit don't progress past the group stages of the CL. No reason to go for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Our biggest problem is we cant defend.....at all.

Why cant Rodgers play a back 4 with 2 protective DMs in front of them to at least make us harder to beat?

Manquillo Toure Sakho Moreno
    Lucas Can

Allows full backs to attack, and we have cover. Also allows us to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break, with the pace of Sterling & Moreno, Coutinhos vision, and the likes of Hendo who will run all day

Southampton have Schneiderlin and Wanyama doing that and they have the best defence in the league.

We need a few clean sheets, and at present our best chance of CL next season is the Europa League.....we aint getting 3rd or 4th
    This is what he needs to do. Conceding 3 against Palace should scream defensive set up to Rodgers. Set up conservatively, move Gerrard forward to help Sterling and Balotelli in attack.

You don't just suddenly start playing expansive, quality football after a run of poor results. I said it about United this year and Liverpool at the start of last season are a good example of this. Make everything compact, grind out some wins and confidence, then the form will come.

The only worry for Liverpool is that they look light in attack without Sturridge. Instead of sacking Rodgers, they surely realise that if they get him good quality attackers, he is capable of making his team play good football. Skimping out and buying Balotelli was never the answer. If you were offering decent wages, you could have had Mandzukic, for example.

As a United fan, I'll be happy if you never back Rodgers in the transfer market and end up sacking him. As much as he's a spoofer, he's defo a good manager.

• Advertisement

Is anyone starting to think that Rodgers may actually have lost the dressing room? It's pretty clear that the team just aren't playing for him, so that assumption is natural enough. Quite frankly, I can see why some players might be aggrieved. GlenJo looks to be out the door, so you can see why he's just running the clock down on his contract. You could also look at the defence and ask yourself, has Rodgers unsettled it? Agger was treated very shabbily by Rodgers, apparently being reduced to tears last season in an attempt to be allowed to leave. We know himself and Skrtel are friends, having been at the club for so long. Perhaps Agger's treatment has rubbed off negatively on Skrtel? If not that, then the signing of Lovren and Sakho can't have instilled much confidence in him. Lucas has looked near the exit door for a year now. He's not getting games, but it's clear he's no longer wanted. I am sure he is frustrated, he after all was talked about by Rodgers as a key player when Rodgers joined. Gerrard is another whose contract is still up in the air. The uncertainty with his future can't be helping him in any way whatsoever. With Suarez and Sturridge gone, Sterling just seems to have lost his head. I am annoyed that he in all this has not been protected. He has massive, massive talent, but is being played far too much with too much being asked of him. Coutinho has looked a very frustrated player too. We know he blows hot and cold, but we have seen him react angrily to being subbed off on occasion. When you look at things from the back to the front, you can see many who look frustrated and unhappy. Borini is in a similar situation to Lucas, hailed as the saviour when he joined the club, he is no longer wanted.

A lot of players feathers have been ruffled in this teams. While result were going great last season, these issues were very easy to ignore. With a bad run of form though, old grudges and grievances will re-surface though and that is what I think is happening hear. I think anyone expecting for more funds to be made available in January will find themselves disappointed. The owners have been quite generous with Rodgers and I can't see them releasing new funds. I think Rodgers is going to have to try and turn things around with what he's got, and quite frankly, I am not sure what he's got is quite good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would you all play 2 up front against Ludo?

I'd probaably go

Manq---Sakho---Toure---Moreno (or Johnson)

Can
    ----Gerrard

Llanna
    Borini
    Sterling

Lambert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Get your money on Rafa coming back in Jan.

Is anyone starting to think that Rodgers may actually have lost the dressing room? It's pretty clear that the team just aren't playing for him, so that assumption is natural enough. Quite frankly, I can see why some players might be aggrieved. GlenJo looks to be out the door, so you can see why he's just running the clock down on his contract. You could also look at the defence and ask yourself, has Rodgers unsettled it? Agger was treated very shabbily by Rodgers, apparently being reduced to tears last season in an attempt to be allowed to leave. We know himself and Skrtel are friends, having been at the club for so long. Perhaps Agger's treatment has rubbed off negatively on Skrtel? If not that, then the signing of Lovren and Sakho can't have instilled much confidence in him. Lucas has looked near the exit door for a year now. He's not getting games, but it's clear he's no longer wanted. I am sure he is frustrated, he after all was talked about by Rodgers as a key player when Rodgers joined. Gerrard is another whose contract is still up in the air. The uncertainty with his future can't be helping him in any way whatsoever. With Suarez and Sturridge gone, Sterling just seems to have lost his head. I am annoyed that he in all this has not been protected. He has massive, massive talent, but is being played far too much with too much being asked of him. Coutinho has looked a very frustrated player too. We know he blows hot and cold, but we have seen him react angrily to being subbed off on occasion. When you look at things from the back to the front, you can see many who look frustrated and unhappy. Borini is in a similar situation to Lucas, hailed as the saviour when he joined the club, he is no longer wanted.

A lot of players feathers have been ruffled in this teams. While result were going great last season, these issues were very easy to ignore. With a bad run of form though, old grudges and grievances will re-surface though and that is what I think is happening hear. I think anyone expecting for more funds to be made available in January will find themselves disappointed. The owners have been quite generous with Rodgers and I can't see them releasing new funds. I think Rodgers is going to have to try and turn things around with what he's got, and quite frankly, I am not sure what he's got is quite good enough.

I'd imagine there is some discord among those who have been largely overlooked in favour of Johnson, Gerrrad, etc - luckily for the manager they are kids like Can and Manquillo so won't say anything. Lambert and Lallana are new, Borini is lucky (unlucky?) to still be at the club so between them they don't have much gravitas.
    noodler wrote: »

I'd probaably go

Can
    ----Gerrard

Llanna
    Borini
    Sterling

Lambert

If all fit I'd go for

Maquillo/Kolo/Lovren/Moreno
    Can/
    Hendo/Allen/ (swap Hendo for Lucas if not fit and move Can to flank)
    Lallana/
    Lambert/Borini

with Sterling to be unleashed with Coutinho later on.

If all fit I'd go for

Maquillo/Kolo/Lovren/Moreno
    Can/
    Hendo/Allen/ (swap Hendo for Lucas if not fit and move Can to flank)
    Lallana/
    Lambert/Borini

with Sterling to be unleashed with Coutinho later on.

Is Hendo fit?

Dropping Sterling and Coutinho may be necessary actually.

We have to buy a quality striker in January. Not doing so would be admitting we aren;t trying for top four (although at this rate I admit we could be out of the top four race by then).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The operative word in Ben's earlier statement was immediate. We are still in all 4 competitions and 4th place is still a possibility, so talk of dismissing him not is just ridiculous. However, this might change in a months time.

4th place looks a long long way off to me .

Lets assume City and Chelsea are 1-2

We are 5 points behind Utd ,who have 10 players out injured ,a new manager settling in and funds if required in January and able to attract big names. They are finding the way they want to play and while jammed against arsenal at the weekend have had periods of looking very threatening this season and starting to put a run together.

Arsenal
    We are 3 points behind ,while they have had problems at the back ,they know the formation they want to play and pretty much know there best team. They need a little bit of luck to get that team out together for a sustained period and they look very capable of putting a run together

Southampton
    We are 11 points behind ,they are in great form and have bags of money to spend in January if required.

And now us
    Our best players are out of form
    Confidence is shot
    Do not know our best 11
    Do not know what our best formation is.
    Have no indication that if funds were available in Janury we would ,go for the right player /able to sign the right kind of player.
    Manager appears to have lost the dressing room and his bottle.

4th looks a lot further away than 5 points to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

rarnes1 wrote: »

Semi of one cup.
    5 points from 4th.

The team is playing muck but a quick look at Newcastle shows how it can turn around very sharply.

Newcastle had 9 months of turgid muck before getting a small string of wins together. Rodgers won't get that kind of patience. And if I was a Newcastle fan I'd still want shot of Pardew.

I'd go for the same team I posted on Friday before the palace game..

Ming
    Manquillo-Skrtel-Toure-Moreno
    Can-Henderson
    Sterling-Gerrard-Lallana
    Balotelli

Its obvious Gerrard needs to be moved out of DM. Replace him with a double strong base of Hendo and Can. Both can do the covering, the nipping in the tackles, the spotting and following the runners from midfield. Leave Gerrard up to what he does best, balls around the corner, linking the play, one-two's...shooting! At the moment i think its our strongest team. People might not agree with Balotelli up front on his own, but I think given the right service he can bring the three attacking midfielders behind him into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'd go for the same team I posted on Friday before the palace game..

Ming
    Manquillo-Skrtel-Toure-Moreno
    Can-Henderson
    Sterling-Gerrard-Lallana
    Balotelli

Its obvious Gerrard needs to be moved out of DM. Replace him with a double strong base of Hendo and Can. Both can do the covering, the nipping in the tackles, the spotting and following the runners from midfield. Leave Gerrard up to what he does best, balls around the corner, linking the play, one-two's...shooting! At the moment i think its our strongest team. People might not agree with Balotelli up front on his own, but I think given the right service he can bring the three attacking midfielders behind him into the game.

My team would be:

Mignolet
    Manq--Toure--Sakho--Moreno
    Can---Lucas
    Sterling---Coutinho---Lallana
    Lambert

Gerrard needs to sit it out for a few games. Bring in Toure and Sakho for some leadership and physicality in defence, if Sakho isnt match fit then change him for Skrtel. Gerrard as an impact sub if we need him on around 60 mins. I cannot see any downside to that team - definitely would be more stable and solid defensively.

Wouldnt have thought Sakho was all that solid defensively.

noodler wrote: »

I'd probaably go

Can
    ----Gerrard

Llanna
    Borini
    Sterling

Lambert

I don't think Rodgers has any faith in Borini tbh. If he had he would have played quite a bit this season.

It'll be one up top again

Is it lack of faith or punishment for not going during the summer?

I don't think Rodgers has any faith in Borini tbh. If he had he would have played quite a bit this season.

It'll be one up top again

I think you are right in regards he seems to have an issue with Boroni ,but we are at desperation levels ,and maybe he gets some game time now as e need to try a different shape.

I would like to See

Moreno Toure Lovren Manquilo
    Can
    Allen Hendo
    Sterling
    Boroni -Lambert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is it lack of faith or punishment for not going during the summer?

It must be lack of faith, no point in punishing him to the detriment of the team.

Also
    How depressing is it seeing Eto's movement off the ball for Everton at the weekend ,considering we rightly called him as past his best this summer ,but he still ends up being better and more mobile than anything we had on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Also
    How depressing is it seeing Eto's movement off the ball for Everton at the weekend ,considering we rightly called him as past his best this summer ,but he still ends up being better and more mobile than anything we had on Sunday.

I dunno. Lovren was pretty mobile. He certainly wasn't where I would have expected him half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It must be lack of faith, no point in punishing him to the detriment of the team.

Theres definitely folk out there with tin foil hats on thinking BR would do that to the detriment of the team because he's on an ego trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

not yet wrote: »
    Get your money on Rafa coming back in Jan.

not yet

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Wouldnt have thought Sakho was all that solid defensively.

I like him in the centre.

But not all that solid defensively knocks the sh1t out of completelt inept which is what Lovren and Squirtle are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Theres definitely folk out there with tin foil hats on thinking BR would do that to the detriment of the team because he's on an ego trip.

That is tin foil hat stuff alright. BR himself desperately needs to turn things around for his own position to be secure and denying Borini a game to punish him would definitely be a strange attempt to read the situation. The more obvious reading of the situation is that he doesn't rate Borini all that highly.

Where are you getting this stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rodgers is still the man for the job. He is a very good coach but all the games means he doesn't have much time on the training pitch & thats a huge reason why we are struggling .He is showing too much faith in certain players also. But I wouldn't let him have control over signings as it is a major flaw of his.

Where are you getting this stuff?

From this thread, lots of conspiracy theorists and accusations of ulterior motives against BR.

From this thread, lots of conspiracy theorists and accusations of ulterior motives against BR.

Its the internet. I wouldn't take it too seriously! Especially on a Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Gerrard at 34 has no business being anywhere near the starting 11 - that much was obvious during the World Cup. Now isn't the time to be romantic...Rodgers has got to put the team first. Let him have a run around for 20-30 mins but he hasn't got the legs for 90 minutes nor is he intelligent enough.

Johnson is a sorry excuse for a professional footballer. Should have been shipped out in the summer. The same with Mignolet - not good enough for a team that supposedly should be challenging for titles.

Of all the centre-backs around Europe - Varane, Badstuber, Vlaar, Miranda, Alderweireld, Marquinhos - why did Rodgers choose Lovren?! :confused: He's been muck at best. Watching Lovren over the last few months fills me encouragement to seek out a career in the sport.

Remy would have been a better buy than Balotelli. Mandzukic?

Its the internet. I wouldn't take it too seriously! Especially on a Monday!

I was just responding to Jaykay, I'm not taking anything too serious.

Dayum wrote: »
    The same with Mignolet - not good enough for a team that supposedly should be challenging for titles.

Of all the centre-backs around Europe - Varane, Badstuber, Vlaar, Miranda, Alderweireld, Marquinhos - why did Rodgers choose Lovren?! :confused: He's been muck at best. Watching Lovren over the last few months fills me encouragement to seek out a career in the sport.

When you consider the number defenders bought from all sorts of clubs and how they are playing at Liverpool it might be wise to look at the coaching and tactics of the manager first and foremost.

The defense has gone to fcuk since Carragher left tbh.

Nobody organising the defence on the pitch, or off it by the looks of it.

When you consider the number defenders bought from all sorts of clubs and how they are playing at Liverpool it might be wise to look at the coaching and tactics of the manager first and foremost.
    We must have spent the most amount of money from any team in the league on defenders at this stage, yet people are saying we need to buy more, madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

4th place looks a long long way off to me .

4th looks a lot further away than 5 points to me.

For us A top Stiker, a top DM and a new RB and I believe 4th is wide open for anyone who puts together a small bit of a winning run.

• Advertisement

Semi of one cup.
    5 points from 4th.

I keep saying this to UTD mates who are goading me all weekend.

However, they are more confident than we are and with good reason. They have some amazing players and look like they are playing with confidence at least some of the time.

The gap feels alot wider than 5 points at the moment and I can only see us going one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

We must have spent the most amount of money from any team in the league on defenders at this stage, yet people are saying we need to buy more, madness!

It's not madness when the current one's aren't performing.

You could have Hummels and a roided up Cannavaro in there but if he's not doing anything...there's only one answer. Unless you want rid of the entire management setup.

The defense has gone to fcuk since Carragher left tbh.

Nobody organising the defence on the pitch, or off it by the looks of it.

Carra in as defensive coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Skittles as mad as he is and as prone as he is to tuggin the jersey looks a far better defender than Lovren for me.

Moreno is a signing and will prove so. Manquillo is on load but has done ok.

Johnson for me needs to be show the door sharpish. Why was he played a LB when we had Moren on the bench, is Enrique injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

You absolutely can't talk about Liverpools defence without including Gerarrd in that conversation.

He's meant to be the defensive midfield player!!! This in a system that asked the centre backs and full backs to spread out wide in possession. Therefore, he should be almost like a third centre back. I've watched him alot this season. You'll often find him jogging back as the other score, just abit hehind the ball.

He's no defensive instincts to cover the centre backs at all or read where the play is going.

I've been saying it for ages, got to take him out and put in Lucas, Can or Allen in that role for a while and give them a chance.
    I actually think Gerrard could still have a role off the bench in a more attacking role. Def not in this quarterback sytle role. This is the root of our problems this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement