Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I think he deserves til at least the end of the season. Lets not forget that he had us playing wonderful stuff at the end of the season 2 years ago when Luis was suspended. He's demonstrated that he CAN get the best out of his players. Thats not the case at the moment and i'm not attempting to say everything is rosey cause obviously its not remotely. But i think he's displayed enough potential to be a top class manager that we should stick with him until we're certain its a lost cause. Thats a full season at least for me. For all the joy his team provided us with last year its the least he deserves.

Meh, if there were 18 months when he looked like a great manager, there's a similar time frame in there between Reading, 2012 and 2014 where he's looked utterly hapless.

In any case, if we keep losing games and performing poorly you have to take action at some point.

It's disappointing that he was a false idol but I'd feel good about cutting him loose. He simply doesn't strike me as capable of turning this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Think the most frustrating thing for Liverpool fans is the fact that it is obvious that there doesn't seem like much needs to be changed in order for a potential turnaround to happen.
    Gerrard and Johnson need to be dropped, with somebody who can actually tackle(when did Lucas become so unpopular?) and a second striker joining the attack.
    Rodgers just seems to be very rigid in his tactical approach, its the same approach every week for 90 minutes.
    The team would probably benefit from Gerrard coming in for the last 15-20 minutes of a game, placed higher up the pitch where he can attack freely as he did in the past. Sure he'll be knackered by the end of it, but at least he won't be a passenger in the team on the pitch in a holding role which he can't perform, and you might even get a bit of vintage Gerrard.
    As regards Lovren, I think most had a good opinion of him after last season at Southampton. I guess some players just can't make that step up to a bigger club, where the games come quicker and the short-term expectation is far greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I think you are right in regards he seems to have an issue with Boroni ,but we are at desperation levels ,and maybe he gets some game time now as e need to try a different shape.

I would like to See

Moreno Toure Lovren Manquilo
    Can
    Allen Hendo
    Sterling
    Boroni -Lambert

Its quite sad to see this as our team, this must be the worst starting 11 for 20yrs, im not having a go at you op btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Rodgers just seems to be very rigid in his tactical approach, its the same approach every week for 90 minutes.

Which is the biggest disappointment for me, In the previous seasons he showed he could tack his sails to suit the breeze but for whatever reason this season he has panicked and frozen - we're heading straight for the rocks if he doesn't wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

For the defence you have to look at a number of various things combining to be the problem.

A goalkeeper who is a good shot stopper, however is especially frail under crosses and is not a commanding presence.

Centre halves that are not communicating or on the same wavelength. often see them going for the same ball. need to have a defensive coach to work with them on positing/organisation first and foremost.

The rotation in the fullbacks and the focus on having them attack over defending. Attacking fullbacks are important in the modern game however not at the expense of defensive solidity. they should be coached on what is required. also give manquillo and moreno a concerted run in their positions with the adequate coaching and they show the potential to be a decent set of full backs.

a centre mid that is more concerned with the defensive duties than attacking and that has the mobility to get around the pitch when needed to cover. A player like that added to Henderson/Can/Allen should have enough to compete with any midfield on workrate alone.

Once you have all of that in order you can look at the players quality. but the best defenders in the world without the right coaching wont work out. It may well be that Skrtel/Lovren dont have the quality required, same for Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno.

But the key would be to get the organisation and coaching correct first for open play and set pieces. work on who is organising and calling the shots and then see where you stand as regards quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Which is the biggest disappointment for me, In the previous seasons he showed he could tack his sails to suit the breeze but for whatever reason this season he has panicked and frozen - we're heading straight for the rocks if he doesn't wake up.

Don't think it's that surprising where Liverpool are tbh...that squad are playing at their level. They are where they should be...

The man that got Liverpool into the Champions League in the first place is no longer at the club. Without the Suarez goals, Liverpool would of been 5th or 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Dayum wrote: »
    Don't think it's that surprising where Liverpool are tbh...that squad are playing at their level. They are where they should be...

The man that got Liverpool into the Champions League in the first place is no longer at the club. Without the Suarez goals, Liverpool would of been 5th or 6th.

Eh ... we are not even playing at 5th 6th level this season ... not even close. Thus the reaction.

... you know City wouldn't have won the league last year if it wasn't for Toure ... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Brad Jones having a kip during yesterdays game

Don't blame him to be honest

https://vine.co/v/O1KPFXYl6X0/

Posted on Sportsjoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The key to our success is these 3 players playing in the following formation

DM

Henderson
    Coutinho

Sterling

CF
    CF

The rest of the year should be built around this imo as it gets the best out of all 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Eh ... we are not even playing at 5th 6th level this season ... not even close. Thus the reaction.

... you know City wouldn't have won the league last year if it wasn't for Toure ... etc.

Well with teams like Chelsea and City, they have a multitude of players that can step up to the mark in the absence of their best players. Liverpool don't look that way atall atall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Brad Jones having a kip during yesterdays game

Don't blame him to be honest

https://vine.co/v/O1KPFXYl6X0/

Posted on Sportsjoe

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The key to our success is these 3 players playing in the following formation

DM

Henderson
    Coutinho

Sterling

CF
    CF

The rest of the year should be built around this imo as it gets the best out of all 3

I have very little faith in Coutinho producing the goods on a regular basis. He gets bullied out of games far too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

From Bascombe:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11249546/Calls-for-Liverpool-to-sack-Brendan-Rodgers-premature-but-culture-of-negligence-at-Anfield-could-be-his-undoing.html
    The appetite from some to change after Rodgers’ first poor spell is uncharacteristically impatient and also rather suspicious, as many have not really like the cut of his jib since day one and are putting rather too much relish on their despair.

That sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I have very little faith in Coutinho producing the goods on a regular basis. He gets bullied out of games far too easily.

Coutinho has bags of talent but he only shows up when he wants to.

Would probably set La Liga alight where there is less physicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

And has done since day 1. He's a good player but lacks that consistency. IMO it's him or Lallana in the team.

At this time I would start with Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The defense has gone to fcuk since Carragher left tbh.

Nobody organising the defence on the pitch, or off it by the looks of it.
    We didn't even offer him a coaching role, could have been a real lost opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We didn't even offer him a coaching role, could have been a real lost opportunity.

Rodgers doesn't need a defensive coach though, remember?

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC · 4m4 minutes ago
    Lots of questions re Brendan Rodgers' future. I am told it is not even a talking point for #LFC owners. He is their man. Full stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Good, the man has earned a lot more time than 12 premier league games after last season. But he will be sacked if this continues, he has to stop been so stubborn and pick a different team and formation though.

Saying we sold the best part of last season is just too simplistic IMO, we have lost an even more vital player in Sturridge too which has been a huge blow. We are 5 points off 4th, if we had Sturridge fit all along we would comfortably be in the top 4, possibly even challenging Chelsea. We never replaced Suarez with quality even half as good, that why big problem with the summer transfer business. Remy, Bony would both have been welcome.

The confidence from the manager and players is just so low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That puts the whole "immediate" thing to bed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Rodgers for me lost a LOT of credibility when he supposedly 'dropped' players for the madrid game because of their poor display the previous weekend against Newcastle. You're just conning yourself, the players and the fans when the same players get back in against chelsea despite not warranting it. He needs to have a serious hard look at himself and his ideals in order to fix the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Rodgers for me lost a LOT of credibility when he supposedly 'dropped' players for the madrid game because of their poor display the previous weekend against Newcastle. You're just conning yourself, the players and the fans when the same players get back in against chelsea despite not warranting it. He needs to have a serious hard look at himself and his ideals in order to fix the team.

What was even worse was that we put in a relatively decent defensive display that night and he goes and drops Touré to bring in that useless cúnt Loveren. You pick players based on form, not price tag. Loveren is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen at the club and that's saying something.

If Rodgers gets the bullet in the next couple of months he'll have nobody to blame but himself, even a blind man can see our problems but he's done nothing to fix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is this the dreaded vote of confidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Talk of Rodgers deserving the bullet is premature.

However, this is as bad as anything under Rafa/Hodgson/Dalglish.
    He needs to start turning this around or it will become increasingly difficult to defend his position.

While his job should be safe, everything else should be up for discussion re: transfer committee, DOF, defensive coaching etc etc. The current set up clearly isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Mr Alan wrote: »

He needs to start turning this around or it will become increasingly difficult to defend his position.

While his job should be safe, everything else should be up for discussion re: transfer committee, DOF, defensive coaching etc etc. The current set up clearly isn't working.

Pretty much how I feel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Gerrads quarterback role needs to be put to an end. Last season we had sterling, sturridge and suarez wreaking havoc in attack, and gerrard had the quality to pick them out from deep with hollywood passes. Conceding a lot of goals was acceptable because of the ridiculous amount we were scoring. This season gerrard has had balotelli, lambert, borini and co to aim at and it clearly isnt the same. Our leaky defence isnt entirely down to gerrard, but i believe he is a big part of the problem. Its not really his fault, he never was a holding midfielder and never will be. The experiment just about worked last season because his ability to pick out a long range pass resulted in a quite a few opportunities and goals for us. This season were not gaining any benefit from having him so deep and are conceding just as many goals as last season, if not more. The most worrying thing about rodgers this season is how he persists with gerrard playing 90 minutes as a holding midfielder twice a week. It makes no sense at all. Either rodgers doesnt see it, or he just doesnt know what else to do with gerrard. I think its time for gerrard to be used more sparingly, further up the field.

Ralf Honnigstein talking about Klopp - he thinks Liverpool would be more likely a destination IF he moved - he thinks he is angling and doesn't really want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Rodgers is well and trully snookered when the sh*t hits the fan and his positive approach (i.e telling everyone they are brilliant) no longer works. Its great when you are riding the crest of a wave but when you need a bit of variation in your approach (issue a bit of a boll*cking) it causes friction.

Daniel Agger made an interesting point about Rodgers when he left, in that he never knew where he stood with him. On the face of it, Rodgers would tell him hes fantastic and couldn't be better, and also very much part of his group plans (when Agger would seek advice as to improve his chances of selection), but come squad selection time the pre chat would be at complete odds with what would be the actual selection outcome.

He does strike you as a fella who likes being mates with the players, and he doesn't want to put noses out of joint. But if you are a big character you will have no problem putting noses out of joint, sometimes its for the good of the "group" to lay down a marker and command that bit of respect.

Its a cliche at this stage, but the Axis of Lovren, Skrtel and Gerrard, flanked by 2 offensive full backs is leaving us wide open to counter attacks.

Rodgers simply has to see Gerrard's limitations and also has to respect that particular position on the field in that its a key position and not one that anyone can just be shoe horned into. Gerrard is REDUNDANT in that role when we do not have the ball. Right now, our first XI are clueless when we don't have possession, large pockets of space are left between the lines for opponents to exploit, misjudged positioning also when second balls are there to be won.

English premier league football requires some pace and muscle in the middle of the park and our manager doesn't buy into this philosophy. Maybe he fancied himself as a little Xavi who was under appreciated due to his lack of size and holds the belief that pure footballers will always win the war despite losing a few battles. This is of course true, but you are in for a serious land if you believe Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson are of this quality. Even Coutinho is not at that level despite his flashes of brilliance.

Also having some athleticism, power and tenacity does not exclude you from being able to play football aswell. I reckon Mascherano would not be a Rodgers type player, but he is the type of player this team is lacking more than anything. Someone capable of dropping of and anticipating where danger will pop up between the lines in the final third of our own half. Its actually an art in itself making these interceptions and tackles, interceptions that are anticipated before a pass if even played, the art of positioning.

We don't have it. Our philosophy is based entirely on what we do when in possession. The weaker characters will look for Gerrard when the chips are down and in some ways Gerrard revells in this aswell. Its noticeable that performance levels in midfield increase tenfold when Gerrard is omitted from the starting XI as the other realise there is no place to hide.

Gerrard is an absolute legend but he is selected on sentiment at this stage. there still a place for him, let him be a luxury player at this stage of his career. Give him a licence to do damage on the edge of the opposition box and give him zero defensive responsibility. But to let sentimentality see him selected week in week out in an absolutely crucial area of the field, is simply bad judgement and respecting a philosophy thats a busted flush. With this group of players it is.

We could play the best 2 central defenders in the world in our system and they would be living on their wits such is our system of almost going man for man at the back. One ball in behind our DM and its full on assault on the centre backs who are being pulled all over the place.

Take Lovren's positioning yesterday for Ledley's goal. He is dragged wide due to our full backs positioning and by covering (very poorly) he is automatically out of his comfort zone and open to making gross errors of judgement. Now personally, id like a more adaptable defender for the price we paid but thats another argument.

Overall, we have a manager who is incapable of keeping things tight without sacrificing his attacking threat. The balance wasn't there last season either (50 goals conceded despite the plethora at the other end). And the balance certainly isn't there this season. He can certainly be judged on his tactics and acquisitions at this stage into his tenure.

Tactically, we ran aground on occasions when team selection needs to be creative, when he needed to chose horses for courses. Thats managing a squad, learning to use different players at different times in order to get results. Even last season he had his blips, and we had our most success when they team picked itself in essence.
    This season was going to be a challenge managing a squad for domestic and european fixtures and you have to say he has got it wrong on alot of occasions. Dropping Sterling for supposedly being tired, and now seemingly flogging a kid who has been out of form for the guts of 6 weeks. Makes no sense.

In terms of his acquisitions, the list doesn't make pleasant reading even before this summers business.

Allen, Borini, Assaidi, Mignolet, Apas, Luis Alberto, Sakho have yet to show any real promise. Coutinho and Sturridge have been very good additions and added real value.

This summer Balotelli, Markovic, Lambert, Lovren, Lallana, Moreno and Can have also yet to fire, in fairness a few of them will in time.

But if he doesn't get his act together we may only see the best of them under a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hard Case: The Autobiography of Jimmy Case https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1782199942/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Lk2Cub16Z8P5T

Amazon deal that some of you might be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

At least it's easy to get tickets now anyway. Basle tickets still available for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Rodgers is well and trully snookered when the sh*t hits the fan and his positive approach (i.e telling everyone they are brilliant) no longer works. Its great when you are riding the crest of a wave but when you need a bit of variation in your approach (issue a bit of a boll*cking) it causes friction.

Daniel Agger made an interesting point about Rodgers when he left, in that he never knew where he stood with him. On the face of it, Rodgers would tell him hes fantastic and couldn't be better, and also very much part of his group plans (when Agger would seek advice as to improve his chances of selection), but come squad selection time the pre chat would be at complete odds with what would be the actual selection outcome.

He does strike you as a fella who likes being mates with the players, and he doesn't want to put noses out of joint. But if you are a big character you will have no problem putting noses out of joint, sometimes its for the good of the "group" to lay down a marker and command that bit of respect.

Its a cliche at this stage, but the Axis of Lovren, Skrtel and Gerrard, flanked by 2 offensive full backs is leaving us wide open to counter attacks.

Rodgers simply has to see Gerrard's limitations and also has to respect that particular position on the field in that its a key position and not one that anyone can just be shoe horned into. Gerrard is REDUNDANT in that role when we do not have the ball. Right now, our first XI are clueless when we don't have possession, large pockets of space are left between the lines for opponents to exploit, misjudged positioning also when second balls are there to be won.

English premier league football requires some pace and muscle in the middle of the park and our manager doesn't buy into this philosophy. Maybe he fancied himself as a little Xavi who was under appreciated due to his lack of size and holds the belief that pure footballers will always win the war despite losing a few battles. This is of course true, but you are in for a serious land if you believe Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson are of this quality. Even Coutinho is not at that level despite his flashes of brilliance.

Also having some athleticism, power and tenacity does not exclude you from being able to play football aswell. I reckon Mascherano would not be a Rodgers type player, but he is the type of player this team is lacking more than anything. Someone capable of dropping of and anticipating where danger will pop up between the lines in the final third of our own half. Its actually an art in itself making these interceptions and tackles, interceptions that are anticipated before a pass if even played, the art of positioning.

We don't have it. Our philosophy is based entirely on what we do when in possession. The weaker characters will look for Gerrard when the chips are down and in some ways Gerrard revells in this aswell. Its noticeable that performance levels in midfield increase tenfold when Gerrard is omitted from the starting XI as the other realise there is no place to hide.

Gerrard is an absolute legend but he is selected on sentiment at this stage. there still a place for him, let him be a luxury player at this stage of his career. Give him a licence to do damage on the edge of the opposition box and give him zero defensive responsibility. But to let sentimentality see him selected week in week out in an absolutely crucial area of the field, is simply bad judgement and respecting a philosophy thats a busted flush. With this group of players it is.

We could play the best 2 central defenders in the world in our system and they would be living on their wits such is our system of almost going man for man at the back. One ball in behind our DM and its full on assault on the centre backs who are being pulled all over the place.

Take Lovren's positioning yesterday for Ledley's goal. He is dragged wide due to our full backs positioning and by covering (very poorly) he is automatically out of his comfort zone and open to making gross errors of judgement. Now personally, id like a more adaptable defender for the price we paid but thats another argument.

Overall, we have a manager who is incapable of keeping things tight without sacrificing his attacking threat. The balance wasn't there last season either (50 goals conceded despite the plethora at the other end). And the balance certainly isn't there this season. He can certainly be judged on his tactics and acquisitions at this stage into his tenure.

Tactically, we ran aground on occasions when team selection needs to be creative, when he needed to chose horses for courses. Thats managing a squad, learning to use different players at different times in order to get results. Even last season he had his blips, and we had our most success when they team picked itself in essence.
    This season was going to be a challenge managing a squad for domestic and european fixtures and you have to say he has got it wrong on alot of occasions. Dropping Sterling for supposedly being tired, and now seemingly flogging a kid who has been out of form for the guts of 6 weeks. Makes no sense.

In terms of his acquisitions, the list doesn't make pleasant reading even before this summers business.

Allen, Borini, Assaidi, Mignolet, Apas, Luis Alberto, Sakho have yet to show any real promise. Coutinho and Sturridge have been very good additions and added real value.

This summer Balotelli, Markovic, Lambert, Lovren, Lallana, Moreno and Can have also yet to fire, in fairness a few of them will in time.

But if he doesn't get his act together we may only see the best of them under a new manager.

Fair play, good read that. Would you advocate a change of manager now?

niallo27 wrote: »
    At least it's easy to get tickets now anyway. Basle tickets still available for anyone.

Wasn't easy to get league tickets unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Is anyone starting to think that Rodgers may actually have lost the dressing room? It's pretty clear that the team just aren't playing for him, so that assumption is natural enough. Quite frankly, I can see why some players might be aggrieved. GlenJo looks to be out the door, so you can see why he's just running the clock down on his contract. You could also look at the defence and ask yourself, has Rodgers unsettled it? Agger was treated very shabbily by Rodgers, apparently being reduced to tears last season in an attempt to be allowed to leave. We know himself and Skrtel are friends, having been at the club for so long. Perhaps Agger's treatment has rubbed off negatively on Skrtel? If not that, then the signing of Lovren and Sakho can't have instilled much confidence in him. Lucas has looked near the exit door for a year now. He's not getting games, but it's clear he's no longer wanted. I am sure he is frustrated, he after all was talked about by Rodgers as a key player when Rodgers joined. Gerrard is another whose contract is still up in the air. The uncertainty with his future can't be helping him in any way whatsoever. With Suarez and Sturridge gone, Sterling just seems to have lost his head. I am annoyed that he in all this has not been protected. He has massive, massive talent, but is being played far too much with too much being asked of him. Coutinho has looked a very frustrated player too. We know he blows hot and cold, but we have seen him react angrily to being subbed off on occasion. When you look at things from the back to the front, you can see many who look frustrated and unhappy. Borini is in a similar situation to Lucas, hailed as the saviour when he joined the club, he is no longer wanted.

A lot of players feathers have been ruffled in this teams. While result were going great last season, these issues were very easy to ignore. With a bad run of form though, old grudges and grievances will re-surface though and that is what I think is happening hear. I think anyone expecting for more funds to be made available in January will find themselves disappointed. The owners have been quite generous with Rodgers and I can't see them releasing new funds. I think Rodgers is going to have to try and turn things around with what he's got, and quite frankly, I am not sure what he's got is quite good enough.

I think you make some very good points. Add in the attitude/ manner of Balotelli to that. The other new signings are probably wondering what they've just signed on for.

I saw.an interview with Lovren on SSN the other day and he was going on about how he still has confidence (what?) and how he would thought he would be a good captain in the future - what the actual fucķ! Dozy cunț shouldnt even be starting and he is daydreaming about being captain!

There's some serious issues to be dealt with. I'm desperate for Lucas to get back to DM and Rodgers to admit that the controller role.was not a fit for Gerrard - let him finish out his career in his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

this is all sounding Davey Moyes. You have your crazy posters who are calling for him before december, most posters will defend him, and say its premature and cop on. Slowly by slowly these posters will fade off into the crazy knee jerk camp.
    He should be able to grind out a few wins and get back up to 6-4.

A lot of players are suffereing from nearly winning the leaugue, and losing a player who will knock 4 past norwich.
    They have zero confidence, an inspired signing is what was needed in the summer, but instead went for the classic liverpool players who will get 6-4th place.

Who can they pass the ball to, that will look at the goal and score? An arrogant Balotelli who huffs and puffs but farts at the goal?

Utd went off and bought Di Maria (and a world class Mata), who can Liverpool bring in next summer? will they have the money to be able to buy someone like Di Maria? or the attraction?

Dont think lucas is really the answer to our midfield woes either but at this stage id give him a run there, or can. Anybody but gerrard there at this stage.

this is all sounding Davey Moyes. You have your crazy posters who are calling for him before december, most posters will defend him, and say its premature and cop on. Slowly by slowly these posters will fade off into the crazy knee jerk camp.
    He should be able to grind out a few wins and get back up to 6-4.

A lot of players are suffereing from nearly winning the leaugue, and losing a player who will knock 4 past norwich.
    They have zero confidence, an inspired signing is what was needed in the summer, but instead went for the classic liverpool players who will get 6-4th place.

Who can they pass the ball to, that will look at the goal and score? An arrogant Balotelli who huffs and puffs but farts at the goal?

Utd went off and bought Di Maria (and a world class Mata), who can Liverpool bring in next summer? will they have the money to be able to buy someone like Di Maria? or the attraction?

Liverpool have never bought "world class" players in ages, balotelli is probably the biggest name transfer for a long while. I don't see it changing in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

If there is one minor 'positive' from this season's ongoing abysmal form then, for me, it's the rooting out of all the rent-a-fan types picked up last season when we were sweeping all before us after Christmas. So often over the past few weeks I've spoken to and read lads on Twitter, Facebook and here state '**** this ****, I can't be arsed watching them anymore'.
    I can't fathom that mentality. I'd love to be able to switch off sometimes from being crushed by what's been happening this season but it isn't an option. All this noise about 'Rodgers out' etc - horse****, reactionary crap and most of it fuelled by lads who came out of the woodwork last season after 'hibernating' their allegiance. If he hasn't sorted things out by the end of the season, let's think about things again but, for now, painful as it is to watch them week after week, surely the only option is to get behind them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

klose wrote: »
    Liverpool have never bought "world class" players in ages, balotelli is probably the biggest name transfer for a long while. I don't see it changing in any case.

Balotelli is/was a big name more due to his behaviour than anything he's consistently achieved on the field, particularly in recent years.

mosstin wrote: »
    If there is one minor 'positive' from this season's ongoing abysmal form then, for me, it's the rooting out of all the rent-a-fan types picked up last season when we were sweeping all before us after Christmas. So often over the past few weeks I've spoken to and read lads on Twitter, Facebook and here state '**** this ****, I can't be arsed watching them anymore'.
    I can't fathom that mentality. I'd love to be able to switch off sometimes from being crushed by what's been happening this season but it isn't an option. All this noise about 'Rodgers out' etc - horse****, reactionary crap and most of it fuelled by lads who came out of the woodwork last season after 'hibernating' their allegiance. If he hasn't sorted things out by the end of the season, let's think about things again but, for now, painful as it is to watch them week after week, surely the only option is to get behind them?

these are the same fans who were giving it large to utd fans and proclaiming themselves as the peoples champions.

Blow ins. Like a lot of fans for rugby, especially Munster rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

these are the same fans who were giving it large to utd fans and proclaiming themselves as the peoples champions.

Blow ins. Like a lot of fans for rugby, especially Munster rugby.

2 digs for the price of one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've seen a few solution formation or lineups in the thread with Gerrard not playing or Toure in or Lambert in but does anyone think Gerrard is not going to be picked though or Borini actually going to be played..the solutions have to be within what Rodgers has shown that he is prepared to do.

So the solution has to include Gerrard deep in central midfield, Mignolet at the back, Johnson, Sterling and Lambert as sub. It has to be a solution containing two of Lovren/Sakho/Skrtel/Toure and you can't keep swapping them in and out.

Perhaps the Madrid game would enlighten Rodgers with players out of favour or not picked as first teamers put in the best recent performance, but it doesn't seem like it.

Augmerson wrote: »
    2 digs for the price of one!

Haha. Nah.

I live in limerick so a lot of gowls around here see limerick as the home of Munster and Irish rugby. My mother is an awful gowl for it. Only getting involved when they get to the quarter finals.
    Just reminded me of a lot of Liverpool 'fans' last year

They are starting to piss off now which is nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Haha. Nah.

I live in limerick so a lot of gowls around here see limerick as the home of Munster and Irish rugby. My mother is an awful gowl for it. Only getting involved when they get to the quarter finals.

Your fondness for the word gowl feels me with glee good sir. May you live to be a thousand years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

rarnes1 wrote: »
    His job shouldn't be under threat, yet.

Semi of one cup.
    Still in with a shout of getting out of CL group.
    5 points from 4th.

The team is playing muck but a quick look at Newcastle shows how it can turn around very sharply.

Ffs, they even had banners at matches

Eh? Mistaken or thinking bournemouth will roll over in the quarters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't believe I am saying this, but in certain circumstances, Rodgers leaving might be the best thing.

So much about what's going on just looks wrong. It's not the tactics and transfers that worry me most. What scares me is just how poorly the players are doing. There seem to be plenty of stats doing the rounds, and they all seem to suggest that the team just isn't trying as hard this season. If he's lost the dressing room, then he's finished, as the owners certainly won't sanction him bringing in another new squad. If that is the case, then it's already too late for him.

Before people say I am a fairweather fan, I was one of Rodgers biggest supporters from the beginning, even after the very disappointing 12/13 season. When most wanted him gone that Summer, I said he needed to stay and said he needed time. I believe this is the first time I am ever even talking of sacking him.

I can't believe I am saying this, but in certain circumstances, Rodgers leaving might be the best thing.

So much about what's going on just looks wrong. It's not the tactics and transfers that worry me most. What scares me is just how poorly the players are doing. There seem to be plenty of stats doing the rounds, and they all seem to suggest that the team just isn't trying as hard this season. If he's lost the dressing room, then he's finished, as the owners certainly won't sanction him bringing in another new squad. If that is the case, then it's already too late for him.

Before people say I am a fairweather fan, I was one of Rodgers biggest supporters from the beginning, even after the very disappointing 12/13 season. When most wanted him gone that Summer, I said he needed to stay and said he needed time. I believe this is the first time I am ever even talking of sacking him.

They did? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Haha. Nah.

But Limerick is the home of rugby...

Eh? Mistaken or thinking bournemouth will roll over in the quarters?

Woops!

Fair play, not sure anyone else even noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I understand why Rodgers is under pressure but I don't think giving him the bullet is the answer.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Your fondness for the word gowl feels me with glee good sir. May you live to be a thousand years old.

You're not allowed be nice to me. I'm the resident gowl around here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement