Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What I don't get with the transfers.

When we weren't in the CL we were trying to sign CL level players Mkhitaryan, Willian & Konoplyanka then as soon as we get into the CL we don't go for CL level players.

Oh we lost out on those players because we didn't have CL football.

When we do have it the club doesn't try to sign those type of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

When we weren't in the CL we were trying to sign CL level players Mkhitaryan, Willian & Konoplyanka then as soon as we get into the CL we don't go for CL level players.

True enough, though we did try for Sanchez, and at least to some extent Cavani and Falcao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Those clubs had a lot more going for them than just CL qualification. They were also teams who looked like they can win a CL and a league title. In the summer of 2013 we looked miles off that level. We still can't compete with Chelsea in terms of wages and ability to win things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I understand why Rodgers is under pressure but I don't think giving him the bullet is the answer.

He's pissed away 120m over the summer and now Liverpool are sitting 4 points off relegation. Out of the 25 players he's signed since his arrival - only Sturridge and Coutinho have shown promise.

Balotelli cost 16m. Could have got Remy (12m) or Bony (17m). Could have called Alderweireld (10m), Garay (6m). I'm not saying he should face firing squad - I'd give him the rest of the season. But it's clear the man is fundamentally incompetent when it comes to transfers.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True enough, though we did try for Sanchez, and at least to some extent Cavani and Falcao.

There are alot of top level CL players out there they don't have to be huge names the 3 I named weren't household names to a lot of fans.

Balotelli was the only player we signed out of the 9 summer signings with experienced CL football.

Can & Markovic had a small bit of european football experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There are alot of top level CL players out there they don't have to be huge names the 3 I named weren't household names to a lot of fans.

Balotelli was the only player we signed out of the 9 summer signings with experienced CL football.

Can & Markovic had a small bit of european football experience.

Totally agree we could really have done with more experienced purchases.

I'm still happy we got Can and Markovic to be honest, but they should have been 'bonus buys' along with more experienced players in their positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers deserved to have full control over transfers after such a great season last year, but he has to take responsibility if they fail now. After spending the first couple of transfer windows getting rid of overpaid mediocre squad players we are right back where we were with a squad of players that are good but nothing special, with three or four exciting players mixed in.

mav79 wrote: »
    Rodgers deserved to have full control over transfers after such a great season last year, but he has to take responsibility if they fail now. After spending the first couple of transfer windows getting rid of overpaid mediocre squad players we are right back where we were with a squad of players that are good but nothing special, with three or four exciting players mixed in.

Rodgers couldn't spot a footballer at the Bernabeu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

klose wrote: »
    Dont think lucas is really the answer to our midfield woes either but at this stage id give him a run there, or can. Anybody but gerrard there at this stage.

Lucas was very good against Madrid and deserves more of a chance based on that performance.

Attempted to sign Sanchez supposedly.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Attempted to sign Sanchez supposedly.

Attempted to sign one world level player end up signing 8/9 average or for the future players and one player on his last chance.

That really say it all.

There are plenty of players out there who can play at CL level and wouldn't break the bank on tranfers or wages.

Konoplyanka & Yarmolenko are both still available and both would probably cost less than Lallana and would improve the team straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ian Rush has his own website now.

http://www.ianrush.co.uk/

Would he be available to start up front on Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We missed out on the one Southampton player we actually really needed.

Morgan Schneiderlin.

And he was more than gettable.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Woops!

Fair play, not sure anyone else even noticed!

I did, but I'm sick of picking up after your mistakes. It's time you improved or your position will be under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

rob316 wrote: »
    Good, the man has earned a lot more time than 12 premier league games after last season. But he will be sacked if this continues, he has to stop been so stubborn and pick a different team and formation though.

Saying we sold the best part of last season is just too simplistic IMO, we have lost an even more vital player in Sturridge too which has been a huge blow. We are 5 points off 4th, if we had Sturridge fit all along we would comfortably be in the top 4, possibly even challenging Chelsea. We never replaced Suarez with quality even half as good, that why big problem with the summer transfer business. Remy, Bony would both have been welcome.

The confidence from the manager and players is just so low.

Whilst the absence of Sturridge is a massive blow and the effects are painfully seen week in week out,
    there's no guarantee he'll hit the same heights as last season.
    Both Sterling & Couthinho have struggled without the outlet Suarez offered. The threat of Suarez tied up so many defenders last season that it allowed Sturridge, Sterling and to a lesser extent Couthinho to flourish.

With no Suarez now defenses will be able to double up on Sturridge confident that the rest of Liverpool's attack is blunt. Similar to the way that when opposing teams win back possession now they counter attack in numbers as Liverpool pose less/little/no threat minus Suarez.

I'm concerned Sturridge won't be able to find enough space to do damage if he ever gets back playing.

SlickRic wrote: »

Morgan Schneiderlin.

Only one problem with that..

He's a DM and Brendan Rodgers doesn't sign DM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

I wonder is that Dr Peters , the sports psychologist, still at Liverpool, he was credited by many for players minds being in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

5starpool wrote: »
    I did, but I'm sick of picking up after your mistakes. It's time you improved or your position will be under threat.

rarnes1,
    rarnes1,
    OUT,
    OUT,
    OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just scrolling through the newsnow Liverpool links and apart from all the 5 things Liverpool must do type stuff this popped up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2847744/Real-Madrid-step-Liverpool-teenager-Pedro-Chirivella-billed-Xabi-Alonso.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Real Madrid after Pedro Chirivella! We've hardly had chance to see him due to surgury on ankle and he now just back. Feck off Madrid unless you want to do a swap for Modric.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »

Morgan Schneiderlin.

He'll be gone in the Summer IMO.

The Southampton board won't refuse ~£30m for him, especially after the success they've had with replacing other key players with lesser fees.

The only reason they didn't sell him in the Summer gone is because it would've tipped the fans over the edge at the time with all the other sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

dubdamo wrote: »
    I wonder is that Dr Peters , the sports psychologist, still at Liverpool, he was credited by many for players minds being in the right place.

**** it, the perfect scapegoat. If he's still there, what's he at? His fault.
    If he's gone, why did he leave the players so feeble minded? His fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Gbear wrote: »
    I dunno. But I'm sure there's some handy link floating around that could make a case for him.

aye fink Rick Ashley wrote a piece on it

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'd go for the same team I posted on Friday before the palace game..

Ming
    Manquillo-Skrtel-Toure-Moreno
    Can-Henderson
    Sterling-Gerrard-Lallana
    Balotelli

i'd agree with this team. However, the problem will be when Hendo and Can have the ball, Gerrard will drop back and want to receive the ball instead of moving forward. Hendo and Can will feel like they have to pass the ball to Gerrard.

The ball should be going to the wings and the team moving up, then it should go into the centre and back out to the wings or through the middle to the striker or Gerrard who should be breaking his ass to get into the box or just outside it.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    You absolutely can't talk about Liverpools defence without including Gerarrd in that conversation.

He's meant to be the defensive midfield player!!! This in a system that asked the centre backs and full backs to spread out wide in possession. Therefore, he should be almost like a third centre back. I've watched him alot this season. You'll often find him jogging back as the other score, just abit hehind the ball.

He's no defensive instincts to cover the centre backs at all or read where the play is going.

I've been saying it for ages, got to take him out and put in Lucas, Can or Allen in that role for a while and give them a chance.
    I actually think Gerrard could still have a role off the bench in a more attacking role. Def not in this quarterback sytle role. This is the root of our problems this year.

Yup I have said something similar... drop him for a couple of games and see.... he had a break with the internationals but he still looked wrecked (even in the first half)

Gbear wrote: »

that's all well and good but what happens if we dont win any of the next 3 and our competitors for 4th gain more ground on us.... when do we start getting worried? When we are 8 pts behind 4th, or 10 or 12 or 15 ? What happens if we are out of the CL and then into the Europa league ? will that be enough....

I'll back the manager but we can't be totally ignorant of the league table.. Hopefully we turn it around

~Rebel~ wrote: »

there should have been some cut off point and some kind of ultimatium.. will you sell to us, "no"... grand go for someone else... a long way before the window closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Southampton being beaten at least. Have to say they look very flat.

lol... i read the below wrong, i thought it was private singing lessons :pac:

Ian is available for the following commercial work:

Radio, TV & Media work
    Brand Ambassadorial roles
    Speaking Engagements
    Private signing sessions
    Corporate Golf Days and private events

• Advertisement

Koeman out :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ah ****, I decided I'm going to back Rodgers.

I'm not happy about the results so far, nobody is. I think Rodgers deserves a chance to turn things around. What he is trying isn't working, he can't keep trying it. He calls the shots and he should be able to make the changes. I really hope he makes those changes.

I'm nowhere near as football articulate and knowledgeable as some of the posters here but even I can see the changes that need to be made and I'm not going to go through them, there's been some great posts on the shortcomings so far this season. I reckon we are all on the same page.

Come on Brendan. Stick it out. Get us some results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mada999 wrote: »
    lol... i read the below wrong, i thought it was private singing lessons :pac:

Ian is available for the following commercial work:

Radio, TV & Media work
    Brand Ambassadorial roles
    Speaking Engagements
    Private signing sessions
    Corporate Golf Days and private events

I'd say the top footballers of that era are looking on with envy at even the mediocre players in today's game and the money they are pulling in. Not that he'd be short of money or anything.

The jinxing the result is back on the thread I see :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rodgers deserves time to turn things around but if he blindly continues with skrtel/lovren/johnson/gerrard as default starters despite how laughable they've been thus far i dont think many could complain if he got sacked if things kept going the same way.
    Ideally he would turn to the other players in the squad and switch things up but im not confident of that at all for wednesday. <insert einstein insanity quote here>

• Advertisement

After giving Southampton £50m for 3 players, 12 games into the season they are 12 points ahead of us.

Crazy crazy crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ah ****, I decided I'm going to back Rodgers.

I'm not happy about the results so far, nobody is. I think Rodgers deserves a chance to turn things around. What he is trying isn't working, he can't keep trying it. He calls the shots and he should be able to make the changes. I really hope he makes those changes.

I'm nowhere near as football articulate and knowledgeable as some of the posters here but even I can see the changes that need to be made and I'm not going to go through them, there's been some great posts on the shortcomings so far this season. I reckon we are all on the same page.

Come on Brendan. Stick it out. Get us some results.

I'd back him aswell but it would be foolish not to enquire as to whether Klopp would be at all interested.

Only those exceptional circumstances would deem it acceptable to let Rodgers go. Getting proven quality as a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

After giving Southampton £50m for 3 players, 12 games into the season they are 12 points ahead of us.

Crazy crazy crazy.

Im happy to have lallana here although we overpaid and lambert was bought for peanuts so im fine with having him in the squad. Lovren is looking like a disstster of a transfer so far unfortnately. Southampton made 8 million profit on him and then got a superior centre back to replace him for free in alderweireld. Well, its only a loan but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Crazy crazy crazy.

They havnt really played anyone of note yet though. They have a ridiculous run of 9 games coming up though which will really test them including man united twice, Arsenal twice, city a, Chelsea and Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Good tactic from Liverpool spending the Suarez money now, before other clubs know they have the added cash.

Liverpool have no chance of the title next year with Chelsea splashing the cash on the likes of Costa and Cesc, while Pools targets are the likes of Lallana and Lambert.

Top four will be a struggle next season

Back in June I was unjustly persecuted for the post above.

Ironically now it seems i was in fact too lenient as Liverpool have disintegrated far worse than I ever thought they would of this season.

If Rodgers doesn't pull something out of the bag soon they'll be in a relegation battle, it must be very worrying for Pool fans as the players look disinterested and dejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dayum wrote: »
    He's pissed away 120m over the summer and now Liverpool are sitting 4 points off relegation. Out of the 25 players he's signed since his arrival - only Sturridge and Coutinho have shown promise.

Balotelli cost 16m. Could have got Remy (12m) or Bony (17m). Could have called Alderweireld (10m), Garay (6m). I'm not saying he should face firing squad - I'd give him the rest of the season. But it's clear the man is fundamentally incompetent when it comes to transfers.

If I were the owners I wouldnt give Rodgers a penny for the next transfer window.

He will have to sell players to raise money for new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

mikeym wrote: »
    If I were the owners I wouldnt give Rodgers a penny for the next transfer window.

He will have to sell players to raise money for new players.

I'd be worried about which players Rodgers sells, and which he deems good enough to improve the team. I can see him selling sakho to buy Ashley Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Ironically now it seems i was in fact too lenient as Liverpool have disintegrated far worse than I ever thought they would of this season.

If Rodgers doesn't pull something out of the bag soon they'll be in a relegation battle, it must be very worrying for Pool fans as the players look disinterested and dejected.

'Unjustly persecuted'

The U.N really should be notified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The Southampton board must be absolutely laughing at the way their season has turned out after selling so many players for big money.

Joan of Arc in the building. Step away quietly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He has a point in fairness. That post looks spot on so far

Red Pepper wrote: »
    The Southampton board must be absolutely laughing at the way their season has turned out after selling so many players for big money.

The difference is that there's a bit of common sense at work down there in Southampton. Fair play to them I say. They're a savvy little outfit.

If Liverpool gave Rodgers 500m in January - he'd probably make the team worse.

8-10 wrote: »
    He has a point in fairness. That post looks spot on so far

Even a stopped clock.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement