Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Dayum wrote: »
    What I'm saying is that the less competitions Liverpool are in the better position the new manager will be in having less distractions. The Capital One/F.A Cups are a given. Liverpool haven't got a hope in hell of qualifying for the Champions League in May. They had one chance to cement their position this past summer and they bought overpriced, overpaid, overrated players. They've pissed away 120m. To get the Falcao's, Aguero's and Costa's of this world you have to be prepared to pay their wages - that's something Liverpool just don't want to do. If you want to hang with the big boys, then let's see how big your wallet is.

We don't have a Russian oligarch or a Arabian oil tycoon in the club. It's not that the club don't want to. They just can't afford to. Rodgers also tried before to sign players like Sanchez but he chose to move to London. The club can't afford to sign players like Falcao, Aguero or Costa.

It's bad enough we are doing a Tottenham. Do you want to do a Leeds on top of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dayum - who the heck are you? Why are you here who do you follow. I'm having trouble deciding what your motivation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we get knocked out of the CL getting into the EL this season is important as winning it gets you CL football next season.

It might be the the only way for us to get CL football next season as I don't see it happening from getting top 4 right now the way we are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Dayum - who the heck are you? Why are you here who do you follow. I'm having trouble deciding what your motivation is.

You wouldn't be trying to get me banned because you disagree with my posts would you, Harry? I'm a football fan. That's it.

5starpool wrote: »

Is he? I thought he was on the bench on Saturday, but presumably not then.

Ah, sorry. He was on the bench. Thought he was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You wouldn't be trying to get me banned because you disagree with my posts would you, Harry? I'm a football fan. That's it.

You're a football fan you say?

Stay away from the Liverpool thread and all things Liverpool for a while, because we're playing the furthest thing from football right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Put a couple a quid on Rodgers getting the sack.

You'll thank me in June. ;)

Pity you didnt have that pearl of wisdom last June...odds would have been much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

What I'm saying is that the less competitions Liverpool are in the better position the new manager will be in having less distractions.

Ask LVG, he has said a few times he's frustrated by so few games to bed his system in. Big clubs need to be trying to win every competition they are involved in. Europa League also has the big carrot of champions league for the winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I presume the musings on rawk have come from the daily fail article today which suggests Gerrard is unhappy about being dropped for the Madrid game and Ballotelli being pictured at the fight when we had the Palace game didn't go down well with the squad. It seems to be lots of random 2+2=5 stuff. Given though what we have seen on the pitch who knows.

Augmerson wrote: »
    We don't have a Russian oligarch or a Arabian oil tycoon in the club. It's not that the club don't want to. They just can't afford to. Rodgers also tried before to sign players like Sanchez but he chose to move to London. The club can't afford to sign players like Falcao, Aguero or Costa.

It's bad enough we are doing a Tottenham. Do you want to do a Leeds on top of that?

You have Gerrard struggling to run at 34 years of age on 150k/week. Glen Johnson is on stupid money too and the guy doesn't give a damn if they get relegated or not. You don't need an oligarch or an oil tycoon. Look at Mark Hughes when he was at City - all the money in the world but couldn't get the job done. It's about being shrewd.

Paying the nutty prices for those players over the summer was anything but shrewd.

• Advertisement

No, I'm just curious. I can't get a "fix" on you and I don't like that! :p

martyos121 wrote: »
    You're a football fan you say?

Stay away from the Liverpool thread and all things Liverpool for a while, because we're playing the furthest thing from football right now.

Oh, so it matters if I'm a Liverpool fan instead of a Al Ahly supporter?! What difference does it make? I'm not saying anything people can't already see....and I'm not throwing around insults.

Oh, so it matters if I'm a Liverpool fan instead of a Al Ahly supporter?! What difference does it make? I'm not saying anything people can't already see....

Right, when did I say it mattered if you were a Liverpool fan?

I'm just saying to you, a football fan, that if its good football you're in search of, run as far away from Liverpool as you can. We're playing like a League of Ireland team at the minute.

You have Gerrard struggling to run at 34 years of age on 150k/week. Glen Johnson is on stupid money too and the guy doesn't give a damn if they get relegated or not. You don't need an oligarch or an oil tycoon. Look at Mark Hughes when he was at City - all the money in the world but couldn't get the job done. It's about being shrewd.

Paying the nutty prices for those players over the summer was anything but shrewd.

Johnson is on the way out anyway, he wanted a new deal with increased wages and the club have firmly said no. Off he goes, no bother.

Which nutty prices are you alluding to?

I think only in Marko and Lovren did the club overpay. With Marko it was about potential. Lovren seemed solid but has completely fallen apart. Not entirely his fault considering how we play.

Crazy Crazy Crazy

B3NEWMOCcAAo1DJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Crazy Crazy Crazy

B3NEWMOCcAAo1DJ.jpg

The same type of dead brain fan produces both images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bibs in training suggest: Mignolet, Manquillo, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Allen, Can, Markovic, Borini, Sterling

So if thats correct Johnson & Skrtel will finally be dropped. Harsh on Lambert who played well Sunday.

Avoid the Europa Cup?

That's the comp we probably should be aiming for should be fail to make the latter stages of the CL. We aren't challenging for the league and by the time the Europa starts we'll know if a top 4 challenge is feasible.

I seen someone post the other day wed be better off out of the CL altogether!

Wtf? Maybe the club should just wrap up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

mosstin wrote: »
    "Talk on RAWK" should be considered in the same light as Jim Corr's musings on world affairs.

well at least Jim C was right about the water charges etc etc...

• Advertisement

I wonder does Gerrard put Rodgers rent up if he gets dropped/rested?

If a manager can't make big decisions he has no business being a manager at a big club tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gerrard is Rodgers' landlord ? That's pretty bizarre !

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If a manager can't make big decisions he has no business being a manager at a big club tbh.

A manager in any business really shouldn't have personal financial arrangements with a member of his staff which could effect either of there working arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Gerrard and Johnson need to be dropped. Sterling is playing too many games at the moment.
    The players at Rodgers disposal are not good enough. I thought the players he bought in the summer would be better.
    He has bought very poorly in general since he has been at the club.
    I will be surprised if Brendan Rodgers hold onto his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

For Champions league permutation see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92902930&postcount=644

As for Europa League it really is only 2 extra games in Feb so it is not that big of a deal

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

For Champions league permutation see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92902930&postcount=644

As for Europa League it really is only 2 extra games in Feb so it is not that big of a deal

Not quite. We can still go through if both us and Basel lose tomorrow night as long as we beat Basel by 3 and Real beat Ludogorets (and we don't lose by too much tomorrow night). I think it goes to a mini league between the 3 games, so Real results are excluded. If we lose 2-1 tomorrow, and win 3-0 in the last game and Real win both theirs I think it will end up something like this:

Liverpool F6 A3 GD+3
    Basel F5 A4 GD+1
    Ludogorets F4 A7 GD-3

Not a likely set of events, but possible. If the above happened but we beat Basel 2-0 I think we'd be out unless Real give them a tonking tomorrow night. It's hurting my head anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

T-K-O wrote: »
    The same type of dead brain fan produces both images

***k that! I got craic mileage out of the Moyes banner last year.
    Avoid the Europa Cup?

That's the comp we probably should be aiming for should be fail to make the latter stages of the CL. We aren't challenging for the league and by the time the Europa starts we'll know if a top 4 challenge is feasible.

The only reason I advocate a EL run is because it now offers a chance of CL football.

How many more games would the club play if it went into the Europa League? I know we'd parachute in at the round of 32.....so is it just 2 more games than if we went into the Champions League last 16?

2 more games then?

Still not keen, and I know I'm contradicting myself because I've said before the club should try to win everything it's involved in, but playing EL football in the arse end of Russia, flying players for over 16 hours to get there and then coming back into weekend football possibly wrecked tired? Nightmare scenario yeah.

Possible opponents should we get EL football:

Trabzonspor
    Club Brugge
    Tottenham
    Beşiktaş
    Salzburg
    Celtic
    Dinamo Moscow
    PSV Eindhoven
    Inter
    Saint Etienne
    Seville
    Feyenoord
    EVERTON
    Wolfsburg
    Napoli [Rafa]
    Sporting Prague

Plus you'd have to factor in the schedule of games with regard to PL fixture list you'd not want to be playing in Russia when the six pointer with Burnley is next up!

Augmerson wrote: »
    How many more games would the club play if it went into the Europa League? I know we'd parachute in at the round of 32.....so is it just 2 more games than if we went into the Champions League last 16?

2 more games then?

Still not keen, and I know I'm contradicting myself because I've said before the club should try to win everything it's involved in, but playing EL football in the arse end of Russia, flying players for over 16 hours to get there and then coming back into weekend football possibly wrecked tired? Nightmare scenario yeah.

Possible opponents should we get EL football:

Trabzonspor
    Club Brugge
    Tottenham
    Beşiktaş
    Salzburg
    Celtic
    Dinamo Moscow
    PSV Eindhoven
    Inter
    Saint Etienne
    Seville
    Feyenoord
    EVERTON
    Wolfsburg
    Napoli [Rafa]
    Sporting Prague

Don't think we could be drawn against English teams.
    In current form, we'd beat none of those teams mentioned.
    In good form though, only Wolfsburg would pose a threat IMO, maybe Napoli and Besiktas also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Avoid the Europa Cup?

I think this is gas. Club waits 5 years to get into the CL and some fans think they need to get knocked out of CL for the good of the club :pac:

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I think this is gas. Club waits 5 years to get into the CL and some fans think they need to get knocked out of CL for the good of the club :pac:

Liverpool need to get out now to get back in! :D Arsenal understand this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Its a bit like clubs fielding weak teams in the Europa league so they get knocked out early and concentrate on qualifying for it next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd love to get into the EL. Even use it to give the outside players games. What's the point spending €20m on Markovic if he's just going to spend his time on the bench? Looking how our "2nd string" performed against Real Madrid I'd be quite confident they'd do very well in the EL. It's not like we have to play our 'first teamers' like Gerrard, Skrtel, Lovern, Ballotelli in it.

No but Rodgers might do just that - Gerrard every ****ing game ;) If he played the bench/u21s I'd not have an issue.

• rarnes1 wrote: »
    Avoid the Europa Cup?

I would disagree on your first point, I think it doesn't help Liverpool if there trying to get into the top 4 by being in the Europa league unless Rodgers and his players are fully invested in trying to win the thing (which I don't believe they are, fact that Rodgers is struggling to motivate the team makes this even less unlikely). It only ends up being a bogus that just gives you less time between games and increases the probability of needless injury's.

On the second comment of Liverpool being better off out of the CL...now that's just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What's even more hilarious is we get into CL after 5 years away, the big return, back where we belong and the manager treats a game against the CL Holders like it's a Carling Cup fixture.

Now that, my friends, is a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its a bit like clubs fielding weak teams in the Europa league so they get knocked out early and concentrate on qualifying for it next year :)

Do people do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

kfallon wrote: »
    What's even more hilarious is we get into CL after 5 years away, the big return, back where we belong and the manager treats a game against the CL Holders like it's a Carling Cup fixture.

Now that, my friends, is a joke!

And it was one of our better performances of the season.

That makes it all the more depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

While I completely agree with the pragmatism Rodgers showed for the game against Real Madrid it must grate for some of last seasons team. You slog through a season in the PL to get into the CL exactly for those kind of big nights against the glamour teams and then you don't even get to play. If Rodgers had cleaned house over the next few games based on the Real Madrid match you could at least say well the players on the pitch are playing on merit but it seems from the managers perspective it was just a run out for the fringe players.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

While I completely agree with the pragmatism Rodgers showed for the game against Real Madrid it must grate for some of last seasons team. You slog through a season in the PL to get into the CL exactly for those kind of big nights against the glamour teams and then you don't even get to play. If Rodgers had cleaned house over the next few games based on the Real Madrid match you could at least say well the players on the pitch are playing on merit but it seems from the managers perspective it was just a run out for the fringe players.

It wasn't even that pragmatic, it was just admitting defeat before we started essentially, and despite his denials his selections in the following games confirmed that.

As for the Real away game being one of our better performances, the kindest I'll say about it is that it was one of our least bad performances. We still almost never threatened to score at any point despite having a reasonable share of the ball. If we had played like that in any game last season it would still have been in the bottom few performances, only above the likes of Hull away.

It really is a depressing state of affairs when I'm almost dreading a match against a team I had never really heard of 4 months ago.

My avatar really is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was wondering who he's a re-reg from myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

monkey9 wrote: »
    I was wondering who he's a re-reg from myself.
    And I've always assumed Harry Palmr was a re-reg of Mike69

Dunno who he was....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sounds kinky

B0Ql3LVIAAAehyg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Christ how we could do with someone like Didi now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was Didi perhaps a tiny bit underrated in his time with the club? I'd say he probably was, mainly because of the caliber of Gerrard in his peak, and the likes of Alonso and Mascherano coming in and being so good after him, but damn was he a fine player.

I could be talking out me hole, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

greendom wrote: »
    Gerrard is Rodgers' landlord ? That's pretty bizarre !

It's not really. Rodgers separated from his wife, needed a new house. Gerrard just moved out of his old house, still has both.

It's a mansion, in the right area for access to the club. Makes perfect sense really.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Was Didi perhaps a tiny bit underrated in his time with the club? I'd say he probably was, mainly because of the caliber of Gerrard in his peak, and the likes of Alonso and Mascherano coming in and being so good after him, but damn was he a fine player.

I could be talking out me hole, though.

Didi was so good people didn't appreciate his qualities until he was gone. No fuss - just win the ball, recirculate/pass and carry on. The goals he scored were crackers as a rule!
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's not really. Rodgers separated from his wife, needed a new house. Gerrard just moved out of his old house, still has both.

It's a mansion, in the right area for access to the club. Makes perfect sense really.

It looks bad though - regardless of how "professional" both parties are being about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement