Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

rob316 wrote: »
    I would perfer if we focused on our attacking play to be honest.

Agree.

Reckon at this stage, if we are playing the way we are to try shore up the defence and stop leaking goals, it's a failure.

Let's just go back to what we were good at. Yeah we don't have Suarez and nobody in the squad has his talent but we could still set the team up the same way and even if it was 50% as effective as last year it would be much better than the current strategy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augmerson wrote: »
    Agree.

Reckon at this stage, if we are playing the way we are to try shore up the defence and stop leaking goals, it's a failure.

Let's just go back to what we were good at. Yeah we don't have Suarez and nobody in the squad has his talent but we could still set the team up the same way and even if it was 50% as effective as last year it would be much better than the current strategy imo.

We're not doing either now though. If we were trying to shore up defense, we'd be playing high intensity in midfield to cut out the final ball. Instead, we just look lethargic everywhere on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Is Rodgers that full of himself though?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrgPDHUtHkQ7WhXs2KDiShmHc3LhoDSDk1Z8JXUQVdLyssigJF1g

Haha that tv show did a world of bad for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know who's name the British media believes in in the envelope this season :pac::pac:
    Mario Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

klose wrote: »
    Haha that tv show did a world of bad for him.

Just a ridiculous idea from the club, I'm not Rodgers would agree to doing a second season.

It was good for the supporters to get an inside look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

These are along the line of players I was hoping we would go for as well.

We could afford the transfer fees and wages for these players.

So be it if they didn't want to come we should be at least trying for them and getting turned down is better than not trying at all.

Who's to say we didn't make inquiries about the players listed above.

Not every attempted signing makes it into the papers. A simple phone call can gauge interest without wasting peoples time and money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

can anyone offer a brief rundown on what MNF said about Rodgers/LFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rodgers playing an unwanted player for almost 1/3 of the season while not getting results is tinfoil hat stuff imo

Im not the tinfoil type..throwing a thought out there is all.. its baffaling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I've just seen that Sturridge could be in the Real Madrid match squad, this better just be a Reus. Whats the point of risking him in a game Liverpool will lose and in truth don't need to try and get anything from - its the last two games he needs to play.

Nemo-seagulls.jpg

imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg3.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20100410000140%2Fdisneyvillains%2Fimages%2F8%2F8d%2FNemo-seagulls.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fdisneyvillains.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FFile%3ANemo-seagulls.jpg&h=331&w=485&tbnid=ZOjYAnmOmulejM%3A&zoom=1&docid=GSEYQY8kKr2l-M&hl=en&ei=UOhXVK7tN-KR7Aaj2ICABg&tbm=isch&ved=0CCsQMygAMAA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=984&page=1&start=0&ndsp=10

On a serious note...this is grim

B1i2gLyIYAE-Hmj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Im not the tinfoil type..throwing a thought out there is all.. its baffaling

I can't see it myself. You generally get one crack at a big club, why would Rodger's potentially fcuk it up to prove a point.

There are a massive number of factors at play as to why we are not playing well at the moment.

There is massive question marks over Mig and he does not inspire confidence in any of our defenders. Our defense leaking goals. Lovren does not look assured and in front of him and Skrtl is an aging midfielder with no legs left.

Henderson and Sterling have been no where near last years form.

We are missing Sturridge and Suarez has left, their presence and threat to teams last year cannot be overstated.

Coupled with the new signings not hitting the ground running it all looks like one big £150m cluster ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers bought Balotelli to prove he could change him and do something Jose couldn't.

The conspiracy theorists are out in force.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    We're not doing either now though. If we were trying to shore up defense, we'd be playing high intensity in midfield to cut out the final ball. Instead, we just look lethargic everywhere on the pitch.

What is Rodgers trying to do then? Is the current strategy just Plan B because Sturridge is out or the real deal?

On a serious note...this is grim

B1i2gLyIYAE-Hmj.jpg

Jaysus, we're lucky to be where we are in the table looking at that!

Very lucky. It's unacceptable really.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rodgers reckons our defensive problems are over-exaggerated.

excellent.

we're fúcked.

Just seen that there, massive lol.

donfers wrote: »
    can anyone offer a brief rundown on what MNF said about Rodgers/LFC?

We're sh!te basically :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Looking at the fixtures, we could be 12th by close of business Sunday. Things need to change fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rumour has it Kolo might start tomorrow.

that'd be worth watching purely for the lols.

Augmerson wrote: »
    What is Rodgers trying to do then? Is the current strategy just Plan B because Sturridge is out or the real deal?

This is a good question - I have absolutely no idea!

I mean, even when Sturridge comes back, most would argue that he plays better off another guy like he did with Suarez.

So why in that case are we persisting with this 1 up top formation, when we'll likely be reverting to two up when he's back anyway. At least if we played Borini up with Balotelli now, the new players would be getting more comfortable with the formation we'd be using long term - instead they'll have to get used to a new formation all over again.

I dunno, I'm just quite baffled by the whole thing. Not just tactics and formation, but general lack of tenacity and energy in our play. It's like everyone is doing the minimum possible.

Honestly, wouldn't mind this at all. He makes the occasional personal **** up, but at least he's organized. Our biggest problem is our defenders just not quite doing the normal defending well enough, rather than huge personal gaffes.

As it stands, our 3rd choice guy is injured, and frankly any defensive partnership is better than our current duo...i'd like to see Lovren and Kolo. Lovren's best games have come when he hasn't been next to Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its sad when Palace/Sunderland are playing far better football than we are now.

• Advertisement

This is a good question - I have absolutely no idea!

I mean, even when Sturridge comes back, most would argue that he plays better off another guy like he did with Suarez.

So why in that case are we persisting with this 1 up top formation, when we'll likely be reverting to two up when he's back anyway. At least if we played Borini up with Balotelli now, the new players would be getting more comfortable with the formation we'd be using long term - instead they'll have to get used to a new formation all over again.

I dunno, I'm just quite baffled by the whole thing. Not just tactics and formation, but general lack of tenacity and energy in our play. It's like everyone is doing the minimum possible.

In Rodgers first season we were rubbish until Xmas and then improved.

Last season,not great until Xmas and then went mental.

Are Rodgers teams just slow to get going?

I can't believe I wrote that tbh..it sounds mad. Maybe there's a tiny bit of truth in it...I dunno...

Id welcome it tbh.

Toure can't be as bad as Skrtel tbh. Or Lovern for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

klose wrote: »
    Id welcome it tbh.

I for one welcome our big arsed Ivory Coastian overlord.

I can't believe I wrote that tbh..it sounds mad. Maybe there's a tiny bit of truth in it...I dunno...

The difference this year though, is that there isn't really much of a hint towards what the end goal is.

In each of the past two years, we started badly results wise, but we could see what they were trying to achieve, and with more time doing it, the players got better at implementing the plan.

This year so far just looks like a whole heap of nothingness.

The difference this year though, is that there isn't really much of a hint towards what the end goal is.

In each of the past two years, we started badly results wise, but we could see what they were trying to achieve, and with more time doing it, the players got better at implementing the plan.

This year so far just looks like a whole heap of nothingness.

I agree. If anything,we're getting worse week on week.

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 2m2 minutes ago

Brendan Rodgers has admitted he's ready to rest Steven Gerrard for Liverpool's game against Real Madrid.

Unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Unexpected.

Subbed in the 85th minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

i like the idea of kolo starting tbh. Hes fairly over the hill but hes still a leader, something were sorely lacking in defense, or everywhere for that matter. His presence was noticeable against swansea, he was very vocal and trying hard to keep things organised. A bit of experience might help. I doubt itll make any difference to tomorrows outcome but it could help organise our defense for the next few games.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Subbed in the 85th minute.

Ha. Yeah probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Kirby wrote: »

Don't underestimate the manager too. Very few players from spain will know who Rodgers is where as Wenger has a reputation.

manager is key. how many players did moyes try to sign last summer and was rebuffed time and time again eventually having to settle for fellani at the last second. swap jose and rodgers around and there would be no talking about london or other stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Unexpected.

Id be delighted if thats true, not necessarily because i have anything against gerrard, but because it would show rodgers has the balls to make such a decision.

Yeah would be happy to see gerrard rested, hopefully the beginning of Rodgers not playing him every available minute of every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Team for tomorrow
    Mig /Moreno toure skrtel Moreno/
    Can lucas
    Sterling Henderson
    Lambert Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Team for tomorrow
    Can lucas
    Sterling Henderson
    Lambert Borini
    Moreno is going to be knackered for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Ok, so with these Gerrard and Toure musings, how about:

Mig
    Manquillo---Toure--Lovren---Moreno
    Allen
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Borini---Balotelli

Maybe swap Lallana for Coutinho, but to be honest i'd rather we have as many of last seasons midfield as possible, guys who know each others games and can pressure together.

Team for tomorrow
    Can lucas
    Sterling Henderson
    Lambert Borini

That's a putrid team.

Lucas, Toure, Lambert, and Borini no where near the quality required.

Playing two up top against the European Champions is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I'd be definitely starting Enrique tomorrow night . Better defensively than Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hoki wrote: »
    I'd be definitely starting Enrique tomorrow night . Better defensively than Moreno.

Isn't he injured?

Ok, so with these Gerrard and Toure musings, how about:

Mig
    Manquillo---Toure--Lovren---Moreno
    Allen
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Sterling
    Borini---Balotelli

Maybe swap Lallana for Coutinho, but to be honest i'd rather we have as many of last seasons midfield as possible, guys who know each others games and can pressure together.

Considering lallana and can didnt play atall at the weekend i would be pretty surprised if atleast one dosent start.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    That's a putrid team.

Lucas, Toure, Lambert, and Borini no where near the quality required.

Playing two up top against the European Champions is a recipe for disaster.

I agree the team above shouldn't be an option, but in general, playing two up doesn't need to be make you defensively weak though. We know that allowing Real possession in the middle of the park will result in them cutting us to pieces like they did in the last game, and like inferior teams have done to us.

The only way to go for this game, imo, is to press high up the field. Someone like Borini will do this, and track back to help Manquillo as much as anyone too.

Also, the more we give them something to worry about up front, the less players Real can commit to attacking. Our 5 man midfield doesn't stop teams scoring on us. We know that. Worth trying something a little different in a game which is effectively a write off anyway.

Playing two up doesn't need to be make you defensively weak though. We know that allowing Real possession in the middle of the park will result in them cutting us to pieces like they did in the last game, and like inferior teams have done to us.

The only way to go for this game, imo, is to press high up the field. Someone like Borini will do this, and track back to help Manquillo as much as anyone too.

Also, the more we give them something to worry about up front, the less players Real can commit to attacking. Our 5 man midfield doesn't stop teams scoring on us. We know that. Worth trying something a little different in a game which is effectively a write off anyway.

5 in midfield, sit back and counter or nick something from a set piece would be the best approach imo.

Something similar to what Chelsea did to us at Anfield last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In game mangement not really working thought.
    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says his side "haven't reached the speed or intensity" needed in their game this season.

The Northern Irishman admits that "more games, less training time" means he is "having to work out things in the game".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29889961

djPSB wrote: »
    5 in midfield, sit back and counter or nick something from a set piece would be the best approach imo.

Something similar to what Chelsea did to us at Anfield last season.

I just have absolutely no faith in this team managing that, or nicking a goal like that. That Chelsea team was as defensively resolute as they come. Ours is amongst the weakest in the league - I think if we invite them on, we're heading for an absolute hammering. If there's one team that should avoid giving the opposition all the possession in the final third, whipping in cross after cross or def cutting passes, it's us. We crumble under those circumstances time and again.

Also I think it's a bad message to send to the players on what will be one of the biggest experiences in many of their lives so far - playing Real Madrid in the Bernabeu; "Hang on for dear life lads"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Maddock also reports that Rodgers is considering resting Raheem Sterling too.

This Is Anfield are reporting the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rodgers wrote:
    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says his side "haven't reached the speed or intensity" needed in their game this season.

The Northern Irishman admits that "more games, less training time" means he is "having to work out things in the game".

:rolleyes:

From what I can see he has worked out **** all pre-game, during game or post game. Nonsense excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

We were top of the table at Xmas !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Team for tomorrow
    Can lucas
    Sterling Henderson
    Lambert Borini

That team makes me feel physically ill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

In game mangement not really working thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29889961

Of all the crap Rodgers occasionally spouts, his new mantra of 'more games, less coaching time' is the one that pisses me off the most. I mean, what's his point? We'd be better off out of the CL? Successful managers deal with the frequency of matches - it's part of being successful.
    To be suddenly coming out to say that he hasn't enough coaching time with the players is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We were top of the table at Xmas !

And we're currently ahead of 3 of our main top 4 rivals.

It wasn't until November when we really got going.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement