Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I defended Rodgers strongly on this thread last week but his selections for the Palace game were mindblowingly idiotic.

Picking Johnson over Moreno on the left, dropping Can and leaving Lucas and Borini out was just insanity.

Then taking off Allen(MOTM) and leaving Gerrard on made it even worse.

We resorted to lumping long balls to Lambert who was up against 3 CB's if you include Kelly. It was the sort of stuff Neil Warnock would do.

I don't know what to say about our manager anymore tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

rob316 wrote: »
    Schurrle is fairly out of favour it seems, £25m for him and about £10m for Cech, plus maybe a discount for taking both :pac: £30m oughta do it.

No way would Chelski sell to a rival.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Augmerson wrote: »
    No way would Chelski sell to a rival.

:pac:

On what planet are we still a rival ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

On what planet are we still a rival ??

You missed the 'ol :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

martyos121 wrote: »
    Those would be great signings.
    Shame there's a 100% chance it will not happen.
    Expect Ochoa and Jay Rodriguez.

I'd take Ochoa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd take Ochoa

Doesn't even start for malaga i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

klose wrote: »
    20m should do it so yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

klose wrote: »

Well Cech's not a starter either! I like Ochoa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

U19s for Ludo

R. Fulton D. Cleary J. Maguire C. Whelan S. Hart O. Ojo .Pedro Chirivella J. Rossiter H. Wilson, Sergi Canós J. Sinclair

Bench A. Firth R. Kent A. O'Hanlon W. Marsh K. Polgar

3-0 Ojo, Sinclair, Ojo

Alas from a qualification point of view the win is probably meaningless - Basel have beaten Real and with the latter still to play Ludo again the top two cannot be caught unless Livepool beat Basel by a 4 goal margin.

Basel U19 +11 12
    Real Madrid U19 +6 9
    Liverpool U19 +4 9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We'll lowball offer for Cech and pay well over the odds for Ochoa.

Mind you I still think with a settled back four who know what to do with the ball, Mignolet would be a much better keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

jasonb wrote: »
    Things are so bad that even I was going to set up a Match Thread (my first), but thankfully rarnes1 beat me to it...

J.

Jaysus, we're screwed so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We'll lowball offer for Cech and pay well over the odds for Ochoa.

Mind you I still think with a settled back four who know what to do with the ball, Mignolet would be a much better keeper.

Agreed. I don't think we ever needed a new keeper, Mig just needed a consistent defence in front of him, the same four week in, week out. He has the shot stopping ability,and he's looked so much better coming for crosses and corners this season. His distribution is not good enough for our "Give it back to Mignolet" style of play however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

On the radio on the way home i heard (twice) that we had to beat ludogorets tonight and hope basel didnt beat real. Thats not correct is it? I thought as long as we match basels result tonight we can still qualify by beating them on the final day? Admittedly if we lose tonight then were fairly screwed, but we could still technically qualify i thought? Or am I completely mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We need to win and Real to beat Basel by about 10, just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

x43r0 wrote: »
    I don't really think that's a realistic price for both of those

I'd say Cech is still easily worth £12-15m and Schurrle must be worth at least £20m

Sure why would we pay £20m for an experienced player like Schurrle when we can pay £25m for a player for the future like Berahino.

As someone else we would low ball them for Cech and then go on and pay over the odds for another keeper not anywhere near as good as Cech.

I think some lads are forgetting it's not about goal difference though, that's where the confusion kicks in.

It's points, H2H results and then GD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there anything to be said for a good solid half-hour or reverse-jinxing a la last season?

Genuinely can't see us getting anything from the game tonight. Any team with a a bit of balls and bottle will roll over us these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for a good solid half-hour or reverse-jinxing a la last season?

Genuinely can't see us getting anything from the game tonight. Any team with a a bit of balls and bottle will roll over us these days

In the spirit of it. Really don't see us getting anything from this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I think some lads are forgetting it's not about goal difference though, that's where the confusion kicks in.

It's points, H2H results and then GD.
    How would a head to head work if three teams end on 6 points?
    Does it just go to GD in that case?

It could happen, if we lose tonight with real beating basel
    Followed by us beating basel and real beating ludo
    (A likely scenario bar us actually managing to beat basel on current form)

Connavar wrote: »

Honestly, I havent a clue. All I know is H2H takes priority in the CL, which is utterly stupid for the most part. This CL campaign is turning out exactly like the last one, away to the smaller team on matchday five, where we could face elimination if other results go against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Yes pretty much this !! I feel sorry for any keeper who has glen Johnson as part of a back four in front of him . The chap should be just left on the bench or in the stands .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Agreed. I don't think we ever needed a new keeper, Mig just needed a consistent defence in front of him, the same four week in, week out. He has the shot stopping ability,and he's looked so much better coming for crosses and corners this season. His distribution is not good enough for our "Give it back to Mignolet" style of play however.

Has he?? I've not noticed that at all.
    I've seen an improvement in his vocal abilities alright... every corner or free kick into the box listen out for "Away away!!!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Connavar wrote: »

If more that 2 teams are equal on points it goes into a Mini League, and goal difference then comes into it.

It is only head to head if 2 teams are equal on points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Honestly, I havent a clue. All I know is H2H takes priority in the CL, which is utterly stupid for the most part. This CL campaign is turning out exactly like the last one, away to the smaller team on matchday five, where we could face elimination if other results go against us.

how is head to head stupid, it can't be fairer if, 2 teams end up on the same points to have it like a knock out tie between those 2 teams.

how is head to head stupid, it can't be fairer if, 2 teams end up on the same points to have it like a knock out tie between those 2 teams.

It completely discourages attacking football. Jose Mourinho built a career off the H2H and away goals rules. How on earth could you possibly think it's a good thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Draw probably the best we can hope for. Unless Rodgers gets injured and someone else picks the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Slattsy wrote: »
    Draw probably the best we can hope for. Unless Rodgers gets injured and someone else picks the team.

Genuine lol at that,cheers!

Slattsy wrote: »

Perfect opportunity for Borini to exact some revenge then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So Cisse has come out on Twitter saying that Gerrard asked Benitez to leave the dressing room at half time in Istanbul so that he, "Could talk to my team".

Was not expecting that.

Never seen this 90min website before though

http://www.90min.com/posts/1586353-cisse-gerrard-told-benitez-to-leave-dressing-room-at-half-time-of-champions-league-game?a_aid=35322

Nor this twitter account

https://twitter.com/GFFNPressConf/status/536606776385630208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Confirmed #LFC XI to face Ludogorets: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Lambert.

Not too optimistic about tonight. Sterling apart very little pace in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No Can, no Moreno but Gerrard and Johnson get to stink the place out again. We might just sneak this but only because Ludogarets are the worst team in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

MD1990 wrote: »
    Confirmed #LFC XI to face Ludogorets: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Lambert.

Very little of anything in the team at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Christ that's an awful team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No Can, no Moreno but Gerrard and Johnson get to stink the place out again. We might just sneak this but only because Ludogarets are the worst team in the competition.

Gerrard could be up higher up the pitch though, with Sterling wide.

I'm willing to give that a chance. At least it's something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Worst team in the competition. ... so a 3 -1 defeat for us then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

That team selection makes me genuinely angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Base on Merit, my A$$!

If Moreno isn't injured, Rodgers should be sacked before kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What formation is that? The diamond with Sterling and Lambert up top I suppose?

Lucas is back and Toure, two players people have been shouting for. There'll always be someone ready to moan.

Gerrard is hopefully playing at the tip of a diamond?

• Advertisement

If Moreno isn't injured, Rodgers should be sacked before kick off.

Because he's so been brilliant this season?

Constantly caught out of position

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That's a better team then we've had out in the pitch in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

How does he not start Can and Lallana ffs

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Because he's so been brilliant this season?

Constantly caught out of position

Glen Johnson is playing at left back.

Do I really need to spell it ou....oh wait....I just did.

tok9 wrote: »
    That's a better team then we've had out in the pitch in a while!

Exactly.

If I seen no Lucas or Lovern I'd be ripping.

Two weak points recently have been Lovern at CB and Gerrard at DM. Both are changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How does allen keep starting? I like him but can should be ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

:(

Glen Johnson is playing at left back.

Do I really need to spell it ou....oh wait....I just did.

Yeah, not ideal but if he stays put behind the halfway line and lets Manquillo do the attacking it might not be too bad, as in sacking a manager bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Skrtel, Johnson & Gerrard in the team plenty of european experience there.

Should be an easy win with that kind of experience in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not at all confident looking at that team. Sick of seeing Johnson play week in week out. Very little pace in that side either. Can see this being a very turgid affair.

It's actually hard to believe after spending 120 odd million in the Summer that we start a must win CL game with Johnson, Kolo, Lucas and Lambert all starting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement