Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

B3ZtRD3CAAInkLA.jpg

Shower of useless shítes.

It's like they seen the photo from the Chelsea game and said we need more people in the box, but didn't actually say what they should do while in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I thought lucas henderson and allen did alright.
    FAir play lambert he scores goals.
    If we could get johnson out of that team we could be on to some thing.
    Need to get Skrtel out of it as soon as sakho is fit.
    i would play gerard where he did tonight

Lucas has to start the next three matches so does toure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard was average at best, lets be honest.

I'd rather him there than at DM tbh. Leave Lucas there and see what happens.

And that's the Crux of the Problem. Why are we Accommodating him to the Detriment of the Team?

Last I checked, it's Liverpool Football Club and not Gerrard FC.

Cou and Lallana are much better at that Role.

Not to mention, it's much better for the Club to Develop those 2, than trying to Shoehorn an Ageing 34yo, in every which way possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to say, that although Gerrard did not play great, that I was much happier with where he was playing.

The mistakes he was making were generally poor touches, not typical Gerrard errors, and so I'd be confident he wouldn't make them often.

But when he plays DMF there is a fundamental problem which he does not have the toolbox to solve.

Much happier to see him get on the ball and actually spray the ball around a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd just like to say again that Rodgers' treatment of Lallana and Moreno is disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Another scary statistic. We've only won one game in all competitions by more than a single goal this season.

After that performance, the pressure on Rodgers has just ratcheted up another notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'd just like to say again that Rodgers' treatment of Lallana and Moreno is disgraceful.

They are not the first he has a history of treating players like that since he took over at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Yes even as a time wasting tactic. Gerard was bet after 70 minutes.
    Bring on can.
    Bring on Markovic for Sterling. We need a bit of pace up front to pin them back . the minute sterling went off the where able to get forward

You'd need to have Markovic on the bench in the first place in order to bring him on though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

#blamegerrad

It's not just a one player issue. The whole team is a bit of a shambles and are trying to build on confidence but are set back by many individual mistakes.

Allen and lucas looked ok tonight but still gave away needless free's, would you trust them against half decent opposition?

Kolo is one of our most experienced players and put in a ok performance but early on in the game he was shouting move up, seconds later after we lost the ball, kolo was 3 or 4 yards deeper than any other defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I thought lucas henderson and allen did alright.
    FAir play lambert he scores goals.
    If we could get johnson out of that team we could be on to some thing.
    Need to get Skrtel out of it as soon as sakho is fit.
    i would play gerard where he did tonight

Lucas has to start the next three matches so does toure

Lucas was very poor for the first goal. If Gerrard had let their midfielder travel 30 yds with the ball I can only imagine the criticism he would be getting in here.

SlickRic wrote: »

Totally agree the two players he signed in the summer that would actually improve our starting eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

martyos121 wrote: »
    Johnson doesn't look like a professional footballer at all. In fact, he doesn't look like professional in any sense of the word.

I wouldnt even hire the lad to paint the shed.

Alan Shearer once creosoted my fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard was average at best, lets be honest.

I'd rather him there than at DM tbh. Leave Lucas there and see what happens.

Drop Lucas put Emre can in there and be done with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Drop Lucas put Emre can in there and be done with it .

Can is more of a box-to-box midfielder than a DM. Leave Lucas where he is and bring Can in for Allen. Can is fairly dynamic so no point in restricting him to the DM position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Watched the game with a load of Liverpool fans and the one question we all had is: Why did you retreat back in the last 20? Keeping them in their half was the order of the day once you went a goal up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Absolutely bloody delighted to see he moved Gerrard from 'controller' to AM. Felt he played well enough but tired badly towards the end, should have been subbed for Lallana.

Delighted Lucas started. Felt he did a decent job. He's our only natural DM and think he needs to start next game.

Delighted to see the self proclaimed 'future captain' Lovren dropped, Toure deserved his start. He does make mistakes but he has a presence that Lovren just doesnt have and provides a bit of leadership even if he can be shaky. Seems the best bet at CB for the moment which obviously says a lot. The Sakho situation needs to be clarified.

Seems Rodgers obstinancy has finally abated and he is listening to the fans cries.

Mind boggling that he didnt sub off Gerrard or Lambert though. They were knackered and we needed legs up front to press - Borini or Lallana. Strange to put Moreno on for Sterling? Sterling should be given an extended rest in my opinion but why put Moreno on out of position for him? That sub was bizarre and why not use the others?

You could see the team had more belief with the changes. Actually delighted Rodgers has fùcking relented in bullheadedly pushing his plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I would hate to see the man hounded out of his job but this is increasingly reminding me of both Houllier and Benitez's final days - persistently selecting out of form players, odd substitutions and bizarre comments in interviews.

Watched the game with a load of Liverpool fans and the one question we all had is: Why did you retreat back in the last 20? Keeping them in their half was the order of the day once you went a goal up.

Because we had no legs up front to create an outlet. We were fine up until the last 15/20, but we subbed off our only real outlet in Sterling, kept our others in Lallana, Coutinho and even Borini on the bench, and as a result couldn't even try to press.

Between his weird decisions and 'excellent performance' nonsense, I think Rodgers is losing the plot slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why wasn't Lallana on when Lambert was!? They have built an understanding FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Player performances have not been good enough this season, but the lack of structure and discipline in the team is worse. I can't remember watching a game this year where the back four held a solid line with proper spacing, players are always getting dragged all over the place leaving huge spaces that even poor opposition are finding easy to exploit. Players have to trust their teammates to deal with someone with the ball and watch the space that's left vacant. Is it too much to ask the coaches to organize two banks of four when we lose the ball and not have them sitting on top of each other. Too many players are playing terrible to just blame individuals on the pitch. Management need to sort out their coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

BMJD wrote: »
    I would hate to see the man hounded out of his job but this is increasingly reminding me of both Houllier and Benitez's final days - persistently selecting out of form players, odd substitutions and bizarre comments in interviews.

Agree with this, doing exact opposite of what everyone else can see is wrong with team/tactics .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mav79 wrote: »
    Player performances have not been good enough this season, but the lack of structure and discipline in the team is worse. I can't remember watching a game this year where the back four held a solid line with proper spacing, players are always getting dragged all over the place leaving huge spaces that even poor opposition are finding easy to exploit. Players have to trust their teammates to deal with someone with the ball and watch the space that's left vacant. Is it too much to ask the coaches to organize two banks of four when we lose the ball and not have them sitting on top of each other. Too many players are playing terrible to just blame individuals on the pitch. Management need to sort out their coaching.

This is it. It's too easy to just say Suarez was the cause if our success. He definitely helped, but every player last year was disciplined at harrying the opposition and playing with intensity. We conceded goals from pushing too many forward, sure, but now they look so lazy and unfocused that we can have 10 men in our half and still look weak.

The intensity, tenacity need to return, and we need to start looking forward for passes again. A bunch of times last night there were passes forward that were just as easy as the pass back, but we chose the pass back every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just like 10 years ago having to win last group game to go through

Whats the odds of history repeating itself & Stevie G getting the vital goal to seal qualification :D

Suarez wasn't the 'reason' for our run last year, that would be disrespectful to the rest of the team and staff who were also awesome. but Suarez was, at the very least, the main catalyst for our performances.

his standards on the pitch rubbed off on everyone. there is no question in my mind about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Whats the odds of history repeating itself & Stevie G getting the vital goal to seal qualification :D

Any chance of Mellor coming out of retirement for the Basle game?

Bizarre to leave Gerrard on the pitch so long last night :confused: They were there for the taking but instead we invited them on to us

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Any chance of Mellor coming out of retirement for the Basle game?

Bizarre to leave Gerrard on the pitch so long last night :confused: They were there for the taking but instead we invited them on to us

Yet he created the chance for sterling to seal the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Why are people getting so angry about Moreno being dropped? If ya look at it without the blinkers on he hasnt actually lived up to the billing or price tag yet. He was at fault for ther goal last night and has been directly at fault for other goals this season. His positional play has been called into question numerous rtimeas as well. I wouldnt have him as a dead-on starter from what I've seen of him so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Would be delighted for him, over the moon. Been a heavy past few months for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I was much happier with the balance of the team last night. Been saying it for ages to move Gerrard out of DM role and we looked much more solid when we did.

Next step is to move him out of the team. It was obvious that he was struggling to keep going in that role last night. As someone mentioned, I've no idea why they didn't take him off and give Lalllana or Borini some time to come on in that role with fresh legs. Looked like Ludogrets were there for the taking as they pushed on. Sterling was lively and if he had someone else to make runs into the box late on I think we would have scored. I can see Gerrard getting injured soon too. Playing that role for 90mins last night must have taken it out of him.

Will be interesting to see what team he picks this weekend.

Ideal world, I'd leave the team and only bring Lallana in for Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Will Liverpool offer Gerrard a new contract? I know there is a case for him deserving one for everything he has done for the club over the years but I got to believe there is people at the club don't want to offer him one and see him as a player in huge decline due to age and not worth it.

I wish he announced his retirement, I want to remember him for his great performances not for what we see today. God help us if he tries to pull a Giggs. He is just holding up the place of a younger more effective player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

rob316 wrote: »
    Will Liverpool offer Gerrard a new contract? I know there is a case for him deserving one for everything he has done for the club over the years but I got to believe there is people at the club don't want to offer him one and see him as a player in huge decline due to age and not worth it.

I wish he announced his retirement, I want to remember him for his great performances not for what we see today. God help us if he tries to pull a Giggs. He is just holding up the place of a younger more effective player.

This is the thing, he could do a Giggs but that means a game a month or every 6 weeks. If this continues BR is gone in the summer and the new manager would use Gerrard in a system that benefits the team.

The biggest disappointment for me last night was the subs or lack there of. I'm beginning to worry about Brendan, before the game he made the call and changed the formation but appeared to freeze during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Why are people getting so angry about Moreno being dropped? If ya look at it without the blinkers on he hasnt actually lived up to the billing or price tag yet. He was at fault for ther goal last night and has been directly at fault for other goals this season. His positional play has been called into question numerous rtimeas as well. I wouldnt have him as a dead-on starter from what I've seen of him so far.

Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Moreno, Lallana, Can, Lambert, Lovren, Markovic, Manquillo.

Bought for a combined 90m (approx). All fit and ready for selection. 2 started. 1 got 8 minutes.
    75m worth of players did not play a single minute and this is becoming a trend.
    That is absolutely criminal for a club with supposedly limited resources.

Also, just on Gerrard, he is getting a lot of stick but the manager is picking him for 95% of games, its almost embarrassing at this point.

He can be a valuable squad player but BR is using him as an automatic starter. Its becoming a serious problem at this stage.

Nerdlingr wrote: »

While i agree with some of those points he would be an upgrade on whats currently ahead of him. He's a bit raw but with more game time will be a fine player.

NukaCola wrote: »

Bought for a combined 90m (approx). All fit and ready for selection. 2 started. 1 got 8 minutes.

4 of them started against Crystal Palace and we got beat 3-1.
    Your price tag should not dictate whether you play or not, otherwise Markovic would be in the team every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If Basle come and pull a Chelsea they shouldn't have any difficulty getting a result.

If you mean have more shots on goal, more shots on target, have more corners yea they will be in there with a shout just like Chelsea did against Liverpool recently.

I don't think it right for people looking to be rid of Gerrard.

His recent form has been poor but that has been while being played out of position in a team with no confidence.

Last night, playing in his position (or slightly forward of his old position), he was good. He passed it well in the final third, kept the ball, assited Sterlings goal and almost scored on two occasions.

He should have come off near the end as I'd say he was mentally and physically drained - Rodgers needs to manage the players better, i'm surprised at him.

He definitely has a role going forward but that is not starting every game and not finishing every game he starts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

so lads can anybody give any decent insight into this transfer committee at the club ? are these signings rodgers picks or where they chosen by the committee?

Rodgers has the final say on a signing - yea or nay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm pretty sure they were chosen by manatees pushing balls with random names and fees on them, around a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they were chosen by manatees pushing balls with random names and fees on them, around a tank.

And as anyone would know, manatees are crap on defence. The manatees have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Mumha wrote: »
    And as anyone would know, manatees are crap on defence. The manatees have to go.

And even worse on holding midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Grayditch wrote: »

Ah yes, exactly how they pick the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

NukaCola wrote: »

^^^ 100%. It's totally nuts to be playing Johnson and Stevie game in game out whilst young talented (and expensive) players are sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If you mean have more shots on goal, more shots on target, have more corners yea they will be in there with a shout just like Chelsea did against Liverpool recently.

No I mean if they come and play with 10 on the edge of their box, like Chelsea and TSHOWCGCPACLSF are renowned for.

Don't see where the confusion came from.

BenEadir wrote: »
    ^^^ 100%. It's totally nuts to be playing Johnson and Stevie game in game out whilst young talented (and expensive) players are sitting on the bench.

Its nuts to be playing our two most experienced players in an away tie in europe when we needed to get something out of the game?
    Was Johnson really that bad last night? You'd swear he'd been taken to the cleaners the way some people have being going on about him. Sure he's played poorly in numerous previous games but last night wasnt one of them.
    So too Gerarrd... I thought himself, Lambert and Sterling linked up fairly well myself. Nothing perfect but signs of a bit of link up play at least.

Milkers wrote: »
    Glen Johnson.

How did he play last night ?

Oh and while we're at it.... Jon Flanagan, Luis Enrique.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No I mean if they come and play with 10 on the edge of their box, like Chelsea and TSHOWCGCPACLSF are renowned for.

Don't see where the confusion came from.

Yea 30 Premier league goals 14 Champions League goals so far this season, yea this playing with 10 on the edge of the box is very exciting stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement