Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Goalkeeper and striker are no.1 priority in January, if we successfully fill those positions we can still have a good season with regards Top 4 and maybe win a domestic cup.

Who am I kidding though, we will get a keeper in on loan who is worse than the current and wait for Sturridge to regain fitness only for him to break down after a few games :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rob316 wrote: »
    Goalkeeper and striker are no.1 priority in January, if we successfully fill those positions we can still have a good season with regards Top 4 and maybe win a domestic cup.

Who am I kidding though, we will get a keeper in on loan who is worse than the current and wait for Sturridge to regain fitness only for him to break down after a few games :(

Cech and Martinez if the Newspapers are to be believed (Which they arent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yea 30 Premier league goals 14 Champions League goals so far this season, yea this playing with 10 on the edge of the box is very exciting stuff.

That's great, do it for 10 seasons and they might become renowned for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    How did he play last night ?

Oh and while we're at it.... Jon Flanagan, Luis Enrique.

Johnson. He done the usual of playing a few perfect passes. And as usual they were to the opposition players feet.
    The second goal would be a toss up between himself and Allen. Johnson kind of just completely misjudged the flight of the ball took a few steps forward and jumped straight up to head the ball. But if he had of not taken those few steps forward, stuck with his man and attacked the ball, it would be a different story.
    Allen who was covering the post for some reason had started to push out once the corner was taken rather than stay on the line for any sort of clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well, I tuned after Sterling went off last night because we obviously had it own by then. How many more did we score after?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Johnson. He done the usual of playing a few perfect passes. And as usual they were to the opposition players feet.
    The second goal would be a toss up between himself and Allen. Johnson kind of just completely misjudged the flight of the ball took a few steps forward and jumped straight up to head the ball. But if he had of not taken those few steps forward, stuck with his man and attacked the ball, it would be a different story.
    Allen who was covering the post for some reason had started to push out once the corner was taken rather than stay on the line for any sort of clearance.

No blame to be attributed then to Moreno on the front post for getting the wrong side of his player and turning his back when 'attacking' the ball. Or for Toure letting the goal scorer -who he was marking- run off behind his back? I dont see what Johnson could have done really, he actually steps back towards his own goal and moved into a position where he thought the danger might be, and was unable to reach the ball. That happens. Stopping the flick on and sticking with your men are things that can and should be worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they were chosen by manatees pushing balls with random names and fees on them, around a tank.

Hard at it

1004_manatee_tank.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Last night, playing in his position (or slightly forward of his old position), he was good. He passed it well in the final third, kept the ball, assited Sterlings goal and almost scored on two occasions.

A. Sterling didn't score last night

B. If almost scoring a couple is enough to justify a place in the team Borini should be a nailed on starter!!
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    He definitely has a role going forward but that is not starting every game and not finishing every game he starts.

If his future role is at the front of the diamond (whether starting for 60 minutes or coming on for 30 minutes) are we really saying he's the best option we have there? Better than either Sterling, Coutinho or Lallana?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

BenEadir wrote: »
    A. Sterling didn't score last night

Duh, yeah, that's right. Should have scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's great, do it for 10 seasons and they might become renowned for it.

Being a Chelsea supporter and us having no history and all, I am not as good at history as some perhaps you could enlighten me who has maintained that for 10 years in the Premier League era?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    Suarez wasn't the 'reason' for our run last year, that would be disrespectful to the rest of the team and staff who were also awesome. but Suarez was, at the very least, the main catalyst for our performances.

his standards on the pitch rubbed off on everyone. there is no question in my mind about that.

Last year imo you'd have argued differently! :p
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Moreno, Lallana, Can, Lambert, Lovren, Markovic, Manquillo.

Bought for a combined 90m (approx). All fit and ready for selection. 2 started. 1 got 8 minutes.
    75m worth of players did not play a single minute and this is becoming a trend.
    That is absolutely criminal for a club with supposedly limited resources.

This is what will be the undoing of Rodgers imo. It's absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People should keep obsessing over Gerrard and Johnson if it makes them feel better I guess. It's therapy. It isn't the root cause of the issues though, no sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People should keep obsessing over Gerrard and Johnson if it makes them feel better I guess. It's therapy. It isn't the root cause of the issues though, no sir.

True, they are merely two symptoms of the primary issue which is the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Maybe because Johnson jogs back all the time & doesn't give a fuk. Gerrard is 34 & needs to be rotated more imo which is the managers fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm quite shocked at how quickly many have totally turned against the manager they proclaimed as the messiah not too long ago.

Particularly when many of the same people did nothing but give abuse to the likes of myself & Llyod for not showing blind faith and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

B. If almost scoring a couple is enough to justify a place in the team Borini should be a nailed on starter!!

But Borini doesn't even 'almost' score :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Did ya see that Lodogorets display last night?

Apologies couldn't resist.

Root cause? No, it is not singularly the root cause of the current mess we're in but then there is no single cause but continuously playing players who are under performing when the club have invested heavily in other players who can play that position must undermine the motivation of the players being left out. How must Lallana be feeling? £25m and a big contract in his absolute prime playing the AM role for England and he can't get ahead of an ageing 34 year old?

If you don't think you're going to get selected on Saturday because some sacred cows are nailed on starters it has to effect how you train and if a few players are not giving it their all in training it's contagious. I'm a big hurling fan also and the one thing you have to admire about Brian Cody over all the years is that he stayed true to the promise he made that those who are training best and showing well in practice matches will start. He never had any problem dropping the likes of Tommy Walsh and even Henry Shefflin to give others a chance to show what they could do.

Fergie, much as I hate him, also never shirked away from making tough decisoins. Remember when he dropped Jim Leighton in 1990 for the FA cup final replay?? No one could believe it but it showed that he was prepared to make bold choices and it sent two clear messages to his players:-

1. No one was undroppable
    2. If you train hard and are showing form in training you'll start.

BR needs to take a few leaves out of Cody and Ferguson's book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm quite shocked at how quickly many have totally turned against the manager they proclaimed as the messiah not too long ago.

Particularly when many of the people did nothing but give abuse to the likes of myself & Llyod for not showing blind faith and support.

More overly critica and bias than not showing blind faith imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Particularly when many of the people did nothing but give abuse to the likes of myself & Llyod for not showing blind faith and support.

To be honest there is a lot who are annoyed with BR and rightly so. I would imagine he still has the majority of backing even on here though.

I haven't turned against him at all, I still think he is talented and can turn us around but my main concern at this stage is his seemingly inability to adapt his tactics. He has plenty of options and personnel to make a better game plan, I am quite frankly shocked at how predictable he has made us this season.

BR has to adapt like he has before, but its infuriating because he seems clueless or unable.

We are fast approaching a line now where we will no longer be contention to have a successful season ie Top4, qualify for the knockout rounds of CL, cup run etc, unless we win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Root cause? No, it is not singularly the root cause of the current mess we're in but then there is no single cause but continuously playing players who are under performing when the club have invested heavily in other players who can play that position must undermine the motivation of the players being left out. How must Lallana be feeling? £25m and a big contract in his absolute prime playing the AM role for England and he can't get ahead of an ageing 34 year old?

If you don't think you're going to get selected on Saturday because some sacred cows are nailed on starters it has to effect how you train and if a few players are not giving it their all in training it's contagious. I'm a big hurling fan also and the one thing you have to admire about Brian Cody over all the years is that he stayed true to the promise he made that those who are training best and showing well in practice matches will start. He never had any problem dropping the likes of Tommy Walsh and even Henry Shefflin to give others a chance to show what they could do.

Fergie, much as I hate him, also never shirked away from making tough decisoins. Remember when he dropped Jim Leighton in 1990 for the FA cup final replay?? No one could believe it but it showed that he was prepared to make bold choices and it sent two clear messages to his players:-

1. No one was undroppable
    2. If you train hard and are showing form in training you'll start.

BR needs to take a few leaves out of Cody and Ferguson's book!!

This!

If Fergie or Mourinho was the Manager of Liverpool, do you think Gerrard would have played in the Ludo Game, after his Performance against Crystal Palace?

Nope.

Not only did he Play, Liverpool was Setup so he can be Accommodated. Again.

What does this say to the other Members of the Team? It means that it doesn't matter if you Work your Socks Off in Training/Game. Even if Gerrard had a Stinker, he will always be Chosen ahead of you.

That can't be Good for Team Morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You confuse turning against with criticising. I'm still behind him but the decisions he is making are baffling. I can live with loosing matches but its the manner of them and the performances are alarming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Genuinely no idea why people pay any attention to Rodgers comments. What else did people expect. The players are desperately lacking confidence and we're in a position where a draw against Ludo is a good result for us. Last thing he should be doing is coming out into the media and slate the team or call it a poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Gerrard walking around the pitch tired while having a **** performance and rodgers lets him play 90 minutes. another pathetic decision to go along with rodgers 200 already this season!

I've no problem with people not showing blind faith an support. You didn't do that though, you went out your way to ridicule him. A huge difference.

• Advertisement

Genuinely no idea why people pay any attention to Rodgers comments. What else did people expect. The players are desperately lacking confidence and we're in a position where a draw against Ludo is a good result for us. Last thing he should be doing is coming out into the media and slate the team or call it a poor performance.
    Thankfully it didn’t cost us overall and the players showed great character to come back.”

“It was very frustrating at the end but we needed to come and put on a performance to encourage us going forward and one that gave us a chance of qualifying from the group and we had both of them,” he said.

“The reaction to going behind was fantastic and we saw the real character of the team. We fell behind to a team that has been really strong at home in the Champions League and showed real spirit to come from behind. Of course, it is frustrating at the end because we had defended so well."

This is guff, Rodgers is merely protecting himself. Even the densest Liverpool player knows the difference between a good and bad performance I believe. When the manager talks about season changing performance it re-enforces the view that Rodgers has lost the plot, meanwhile those within the squad who have some 'critical reading' will shake their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No doubt Gerrard will be the first name on the team sheet for the Stoke game.

That will be 3 games in 7 days for player who might get away with playing 90 minutes a week.

This is guff, Rodgers is merely protecting himself. Even the densest Liverpool player knows the difference between a good and bad performance I believe. When the manager talks about season changing performance it re-enforces the view that Rodgers has lost the plot, meanwhile those within the squad who have some 'critical reading' will shake their heads.

They won't though. They'll be thankful for the manager backing them. Why do you think every manager in the world does the same? If he comes out a critices the players they will turn on him, and they'd be right to as well. End of the day the buck stops with the manager so him blaming the players is basically him deflecting criticism from himself and throwing him under the bus.

They won't though. They'll be thankful for the manager backing them. Why do you think every manager in the world does the same? If he comes out a critices the players they will turn on him, and they'd be right to as well. End of the day the buck stops with the manager so him blaming the players is basically him deflecting criticism from himself and throwing him under the bus.

I said they'd shake their heads not actually do anything but if this carries on quietly players will turn against him for his clueless in game tactics, his poor coaching of the defence which leads to points being lost. Most players don't want to be in a relegation dogfight or to go out expecting every game to be a slog, they will start to make their views known in that classic unattributed quote fashion.

(is anyone else finding pages take ages to load?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Nope loading fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Particularly when many of the same people did nothing but give abuse to the likes of myself & Llyod for not showing blind faith and support.

When the facts on the ground change...

I might be letting my general anger at Johnson get the better of me here but I was furious with his poor attempt to head the ball for their equaliser last night. It just looked like poor positoning and a pathetic jump.

Why all the surprise that Gerrard is starting and wont be dropped?
    Mignolet has been poor for two seasons yet starts ever game.

I said they'd shake their heads not actually do anything but if this carries on quietly players will turn against him for his clueless in game tactics, his poor coaching of the defence which leads to points being lost. Most players don't want to be in a relegation dogfight or to go out expecting every game to be a slog, they will start to make their views known in that classic unattributed quote fashion.

How many players will look at yesterdays first goal and blame it on the defence system? The players need to take a long hard look at themselves for how we have performed this season. Their manager is protecting them from a very deserved media criticism so I'm not sure they'll rock that boat any time soon.

Because there are much better players who could start ahead of Gerrard. The same isn't the case for Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Yes, but drop Mignolet and you have to play Jones or some randomer from the youth teams

Drop Gerrard the replacement options are Can/Lucas/Lallana/Coutinho

Should be a no brainer, but ....................

Delighted with Toure's performance generall - or pleased at elast.

RTE tried to blame him for the first goal by saying it was his misplaced pass that led to the shot but that is really silly as it was clearly an interception he was stretching to make.

Apart from that, he did have one seriously ponderous back header.....but was otherwise solid. Toure lends so much stability to our back four.

If he does not start on Saturday I will cry.

noodler wrote: »
    Delighted with Toure's performance generall - or pleased at elast.

RTE tried to blame him for the first goal by saying it was his misplaced pass that led to the shot but that is really silly as it was clearly an interception he was stretching to make.

Apart from that, he did have one seriously ponderous back header.....but was otherwise solid. Toure lends so much stability to our back four.

If he does not start on Saturday I will cry.

And if Lovern did that he'd have been strung up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

There it is

Yeah....the messiah - hyperbole much?

You got abuse for refusing to peek out from under the massive storm cloud the two of you appear to live under, for what was arguably our best season of results and football played in a long, long time.

And look at that - poor performances result in a few more dark clouds and here you both are posting your usual bait that offers nothing but pokes at others opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

For sure, what a manager says in public and what he says to the team have to be in the main different. They really have to say in the media that they are working hard and moving in the right direction most of the time. When things are going wrong supporters, stock owners whatever do want something to cling onto.

I actually think Rogers is a good manager just a little inflexible at the moment which I expect is inexperience and perhaps a lack of confidence. People mention the the slip by Gerrard at the end of last season and the effect it had on him, that match must have had a profound effect on Rogers as well he would be less than human if he did not question his tactics that day. Not commenting if they were right or wrong but he must rerun it in his mind.

If Liverpool get into the knockout stages of the CL it will be a great shot in the arm but you sort of have to wonder is there a bit of player power going on with Gerrard and Johnson playing as much as they are? If they get through there is a lot to look forward to that might just loosen him up.

Mignolet is still a liability. And consistently playing liabilities gets you nowhere.
    Someone previously mentioned Jim Leighton being dropped for the FA Cup final Replay back in 1990. His replacement was Les Sealey.
    Ferguson had the balls to drop him in the biggest game of both the manager's and keeper's united career up to that point.
    Bottom line is you do what is neccessary.

• Advertisement

And if Lovern did that he'd have been strung up.

I can't let one mistake take away from a couple of vital interceptions and an all-round fine aerial performance - not to mention the fact he clearly talks/organises the defence.

I see what you mean but if bad mistakes are the outlier, I still say that on average Toure's play is and has been far more secure than either of the other two's.

Why people were so quick to get rid oor not play someone with 10 years or so of CL football and an absolute shedload of titles is beyond me. Particularly when it is for someone whose general play has been as bad as Skrtel's for the last 18-24 months or someone as relatively unproven as Lovern.

Mignolet is still a liability. And consistently playing liabilities gets you nowhere.
    Someone previously mentioned Jim Leighton being dropped for the FA Cup final Replay back in 1990. His replacement was Les Sealey.
    Ferguson had the balls to drop him in the biggest game of both the manager's and keeper's united career up to that point.

Was Les Sealey completely useless though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If you were gerard what would you do?
    Would you head off to america/ Italy for 2/3 year and return at some stage to be coach at liverpool?
    Would you sign another 2 year contract with iverpool?
    Would you retire at the end of the season?

Was Les Sealey completely useless though?

No. He was back up, like Brad Jones is, who got a chance and took it.

It was me who referenced Fergie dropping Jim Leighton for the FA cup final replay (against Crystal Palace which Utd simply had to win or Fergie was probably out the door) and he replaced him with an on loan journeyman from Luton town called Les Seely!!

Utd won the game (thanks in no small part to Seely making a number of fine saves) and shortly afterwards Fergie signed Peter Schmeichel (for £500,000) and we all know what happened for the next 23 years after that :o

No. He was back up, like Brad Jones is, who got a chance and took it.

You do realise there is a different standard of back-up yea? :confused: I mean just because Petr Cech and Brad Jones are back ups doesn't mean they are the same quality.

You do realise there is a different standard of back-up yea? :confused: I mean just because Petr Cech and Brad Jones are back ups doesn't mean they are the same quality.

Believe me, Les Seeley was no Peter Cech!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Can Brad Jones really be that bad?

Yes I realise that. I never said they were. Cech has nothing to do with this so I dont know why you're bringing him up.
    You realise that the point of a back up keeper is to be given a game when your keeper is consistently making mistakes or is injured yea ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

rob316 wrote: »

Requirement for defensive midfielder says hello!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement