Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

BenEadir wrote: »
    Believe me, Les Seeley was no Peter Cech!!!

He was probably no Brad Jones either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Yes I realise that. I never said they were. Cech has nothing to do with this so I dont know why you're bringing him up.
    You realise that the point of a back up keeper is to be given a game when your keeper is consistently making mistakes or is injured yea ? :confused:

The point of a back up keeper is to play him when he is performing at a level that is better than the first choice keeper. Mignolet still has a long way to drop before he hits that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm quite shocked at how quickly many have totally turned against the manager they proclaimed as the messiah not too long ago.
    I don't recall one person ever labeling him as the messiah, or anything like it. People rightfully said that he needed to be given the chance to put his mark on the team. The problem that I and most have is that this his now his team, he has been backed, but yet we appear to be playing the worst football I've seen under his reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've no qualms with Brad Jones starting the next game. Realistically, he can't be any worse, and it might give Mignolet a kick up the arse.

Remember when Fergie dropped De Gea for Lindegard? When Pelligrini dropped Hart for Pantilimon? Both worked out well in the long run (although Hart is still a disaster, to be fair).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've no qualms with Brad Jones starting the next game. Realistically, he can't be any worse, and it might give Mignolet a kick up the arse.

Remember when Fergie dropped De Gea for Lindegard? When Pelligrini dropped Hart for Pantilimon? Both worked out well in the long run (although Hart is still a disaster, to be fair).
    Mignolet's confidence just looks shot to bits. Dropping him now might do untold damage. Anyway, I have no confidence in Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mignolet's confidence just looks shot to bits. Dropping him now might do untold damage. Anyway, I have no confidence in Jones.

If it's shot to bits, time to get him out of the firing line and get his head together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would you say that if LFC had a say someone like Brad Friedel on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Requirement for defensive midfielder says hello!! ;)

A defensive coach shouts hello as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So we cant drop Mignolet beacuse he hasnt reached the murky depths Brad Jones is apparently swimming around in and we cant drop Mignolet because it might do untold damage to his confidence. Jesus. He's undroppable/untouchable so. Great job to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Last year imo you'd have argued differently! :p

probably.

mainly because i preferred to give credit to the team rather than one person, but this year's capitulation thus far is too much evidence to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

NukaCola wrote: »
    To be honest there is a lot who are annoyed with BR and rightly so. I would imagine he still has the majority of backing even on here though.

I haven't turned against him at all, I still think he is talented and can turn us around but my main concern at this stage is his seemingly inability to adapt his tactics. He has plenty of options and personnel to make a better game plan, I am quite frankly shocked at how predictable he has made us this season.

BR has to adapt like he has before, but its infuriating because he seems clueless or unable.

We are fast approaching a line now where we will no longer be contention to have a successful season ie Top4, qualify for the knockout rounds of CL, cup run etc, unless we win games.
    When he was manager of Swansea, the biggest criticism their fans had was his inability to adapt. If plan A didn't work there was no plan B. There has been plenty of evidence of this also in his time at Liverpool.

Last season he stumbled upon a diamond formation due to having a depleted squad but we were just as predictable. It was either Coutinho or Sterling at the tip of the diamond, as the other 10 positions picked themselves due to availability/fitness. Teams were unable to deal with the energy level of our performances.

This season the team have lost that energy level. Balotelli was the scape goat because he was seen as the Suarez replacement and he doesn't run around like a lunatic. Even without Balotelli in the line-up, the team play at a pedestrian pace. Our defense and midfield continue to struggle to string a few passes together without playing the ball backwards.

Gerrard is a liability as a defensive midfielder and the opposition know it. Without Sturridge and Suarez to play long balls to, the quality of his long range passes this season have been poor. There have been plenty of punts to the edge of the 18 yard box which get mopped up by the opposition. Despite this Rodgers has persisted with Gerrard in the role for almost every game. Carragher made the same argument last weekend, but it's nothing that hasn't been said on here before.

Forget about talk of a top 4 for this season, had QPR not gifted us a victory a month ago we would currently be 17th in the league. We are one of the whipping boys of the Premier League because we can't score goals and continue to leak them at a rate of 1.5 per game in the league. The continued failure to deal with the defensive balance of the team when there is no goal threat in the team is madness.

Mignolet : £10M
    Sahko : £18M
    Ilori : £7M
    Lovren : £20M
    Moreno : £12M

The club has spent £67M on defensive players plus loans and free transfers since Rodgers became manager. We can't keep a clean sheet, but we don't need a defensive coach. Rodgers has blamed the defensive lapses on the lack of training time due to fixture congestion - he spins a great line. If what he said is true then last season should have been near perfect for bedding in the defense but the defense was only a little bit worse.

Brendan Rodgers needs to adapt his methods to fit the situation not wait for a break in the fixtures to hope things sort themselves out. We can only hope that he realises this for himself before it's too late.

Origi not in tonights match squad. Dunno if he is injured or if a deal has been done with Liverpool (well you never know!)

edit - Lille manager re-iterates that Origi staying and his exclusion is not related to anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Quality post Talisman, sobering stuff.

I had actually forgotten completely about Illori.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think it's a joke that Brad Jones has been the Liverpool No. 2 for years anyway. He's not even a championship level goalkeeper. It's not as if it was difficult or too expensive to bring in a significant upgrade there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Talisman wrote: »
    Last season he stumbled upon a diamond formation due to having a depleted squad but we were just as predictable. It was either Coutinho or Sterling at the tip of the diamond, as the other 10 positions picked themselves due to availability/fitness. Teams were unable to deal with the energy level of our performances.

Stumbled upon? In fairness, you cant just give him all the blame and not give him credit for a system he put in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Blatter wrote: »
    I think it's a joke that Brad Jones has been the Liverpool No. 2 for years anyway. He's not even a championship level goalkeeper. It's not as if it was difficult or too expensive to bring in a significant upgrade there.

Shay Given - what would people reckon?
    Is Valdes to Utd. still going ahead?

Blatter wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.

Why gamble with such an important position is beyond me

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Shay Given - what would people reckon?
    Is Valdes to Utd. still going ahead?

Valdes is at Utd now yeah.

Given - best years behind him. Just before Man City he was at the height of his powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Given?

Seriously finished. Well, at the top level he is. So might suit Anfield rightly (sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

steven gerrard died as a footballer after that slip last year,the significance of it happening to a liverpool lad should not be underestimated ,the whole team has a hangover from last years heartbreak,and the new arrivals have not bedded in ..

stevies done, feel so sorry for him,to be the reason we didnt win the league will never leave him id say,and he's reminded of it in every game since,and will be until he retires. he could have the odd blinder but his spirits broke,you can see it in his play,his chance is gone forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

steven gerrard died as a footballer after that slip last year,the significance of it happening to a liverpool lad should not be underestimated ,the whole team has a hangover from last years heartbreak,and the new arrivals have not bedded in ..

stevies done, feel so sorry for him,to be the reason we didnt win the league will never leave him id say,and he's reminded of it in every game since,and will be until he retires. he could have the odd blinder but his spirits broke,you can see it in his play,his chance is gone forever.

I think there is a large grain of truth in that.

At the end of the day, these guys are human like us, and to work that hard and get so close, only for it to slip away.

I think he knows, they all know that last year was the chance. It will come around again, but not for a while as Chelsea, City, United & Arsenal try to up their game (Chelsea already acheived that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think you are right here, especially about the whole team being hungover, cant be easy for them at the moment.

They need to find away of getting over it though...put a couple of wins together and you never know what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

D'Agger wrote: »
    There it is

Yeah....the messiah - hyperbole much?

You got abuse for refusing to peek out from under the massive storm cloud the two of you appear to live under, for what was arguably our best season of results and football played in a long, long time.

And look at that - poor performances result in a few more dark clouds and here you both are posting your usual bait that offers nothing but pokes at others opinions.

Nonsense, pure ****ing nonsense. I posted all through last season. I've been here all season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nonsense, pure ****ing nonsense. I posted all through last season. I've been here all season too.

Not to get involved but when he says under the storm cloud, i dont think he means you didnt post, just that you remained pessimistic during last season? In that posters opinion of course.

I dont think anyone could argue that you didn't post last season tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm quite shocked at how quickly many have totally turned against the manager they proclaimed as the messiah not too long ago.

Particularly when many of the same people did nothing but give abuse to the likes of myself & Llyod for not showing blind faith and support.

You must be absolutely raging you changed your mind about Rodgers. If you had stuck to your guns you'd be starting to look like a genius now!

Again, more nonsense. Last year was exhilarating, this year sucks. All we want is Liverpool to win.

Alan is definitely right about one thing. The amount of people that have turned on the manager already is astounding. Fair weather fans it must be said.

From a different era but still applies

114479b216001203bcb4e4827c570897.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What horse**** from that fella.

I posted all last season but have barely posted this season. Where does that fit in with his logic?! :rolleyes:

Milkers wrote: »
    You must be absolutely raging you changed your mind about Rodgers. If you had stuck to your guns you'd be starting to look like a genius now!

Raging? I want Liverpool to do well, if it turns out Rodgers was just a passenger last season, I'll be as disappointed as anyone.

What horse**** from that fella.

I posted all last season but have barely posted this season. Where does that fit in with his logic?! :rolleyes:

Now now, weren't you very busy at work last year so didn't post too often, apologies if I have the wrong poster but I am 100% sure that isn't the case.

Augeo wrote: »
    Now now, weren't you very busy at work last year so didn't post too often, apologies if I have the wrong poster but I am 100% sure that isn't the case.

What do you bring to the ****ing table btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What does that have to do with ye bitching about when a poster posts?

Leave him post whenever he wants, I pop in here when I'm bored to keep an eye on ye and there is a few posters calling out Alan for only posting when something negative happens.

It's weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

The inability to spell Aguero

• Advertisement

Good news - Stoke squad hit by some sort of intestinal illness. Two "first 11" players down so far Asmir Begovic and Phil Bardsley have to hope Walters, Diouf and Crouchigol fall foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Raging? I want Liverpool to do well, if it turns out Rodgers was just a passenger last season, I'll be as disappointed as anyone.

Obviously he wasn't a passenger, lets not look to rewrite history. Just go back and look at our pressing last year. As well as the tenacity which one could maybe attribute to some sort of Suarez influence, it was organised. The movement of the players was terrific, creating options for each other very intelligently. That came from the manager.

Regardless what happens this year, he was terrific last year. Lets just hope he can help the team regain some of those attributes in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Off to Liverpool 1st thing for this weekends game, just hope for same result as last time o went to see Liverpool v Stoke which was 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When he was manager of Swansea, the biggest criticism their fans had was his inability to adapt. If plan A didn't work there was no plan B. There has been plenty of evidence of this also in his time at Liverpool.

This season the team have lost that energy level. Balotelli was the scape goat because he was seen as the Suarez replacement and he doesn't run around like a lunatic. Even without Balotelli in the line-up, the team play at a pedestrian pace. Our defense and midfield continue to struggle to string a few passes together without playing the ball backwards.

Gerrard is a liability as a defensive midfielder and the opposition know it. Without Sturridge and Suarez to play long balls to, the quality of his long range passes this season have been poor. There have been plenty of punts to the edge of the 18 yard box which get mopped up by the opposition. Despite this Rodgers has persisted with Gerrard in the role for almost every game. Carragher made the same argument last weekend, but it's nothing that hasn't been said on here before.

Forget about talk of a top 4 for this season, had QPR not gifted us a victory a month ago we would currently be 17th in the league. We are one of the whipping boys of the Premier League because we can't score goals and continue to leak them at a rate of 1.5 per game in the league. The continued failure to deal with the defensive balance of the team when there is no goal threat in the team is madness.

Mignolet : £10M
    Sahko : £18M
    Ilori : £7M
    Lovren : £20M
    Moreno : £12M

The club has spent £67M on defensive players plus loans and free transfers since Rodgers became manager. We can't keep a clean sheet, but we don't need a defensive coach. Rodgers has blamed the defensive lapses on the lack of training time due to fixture congestion - he spins a great line. If what he said is true then last season should have been near perfect for bedding in the defense but the defense was only a little bit worse.

Brendan Rodgers needs to adapt his methods to fit the situation not wait for a break in the fixtures to hope things sort themselves out. We can only hope that he realises this for himself before it's too late.

I have no time for the Balotelli apologist sh1te.

He isn't to blame for all our problems. He doesn't even have to run around like a "lunatic" to please people.

However, he is awful. Added to this is his complete lack of effort and awful attitude and poor discipline.

People have managed to forward this weird line of argument whereby we let Balotelli have a free pass because they think 'other people' think he was a replacement for Suarez.

That is a lie of course. No on thought he was a replacement for Suarez, they just wanted him to score more than one goal, play well or just fcukin try and reach some basic level of actual effort proportionate to his salary.

Yep. And busier again this year so posting less again.

• Advertisement

I'm ****ing pointing out some ****ing facts Lloyd ;)
    What does that have to do with ye bitching about when a poster posts?

Leave him post whenever he wants, I pop in here when I'm bored to keep an eye on ye and there is a few posters calling out Alan for only posting when something negative happens.

It's weird.

He is more than welcome to post whenever he wants, however he is claiming that he posted all last season which is not at all true, it's quite hilarious that he has forgotten that he claimed he was too busy with a new job to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Do you want him to post every hour or something. Just because he didn't post for a few days or whatever means **** all and makes you look crazy remembering when he posted last year.

These threads can have a lot of posts to catch up on when you get home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Tashty.

He is more than welcome to post whenever he wants, however he is claiming that he posted all last season which is not at all true, it's quite hilarious that he has forgotten that he claimed he was too busy with a new job to post.

This is some really cringey obsessive stuff, but I'll spell it out for you;

Prior to last year posted loads. Let's say my posting frequency scored 100.

Last year, started new job posted less. Posting frequency scored 50.

People then said I was posting less because we were doing well & I only like to post negative things. Despite the fact when I did post last year I was hugely positive.

Those people who said that last year are totally proven wrong as this year I'm posting less again, maybe a 25, despite the fact we're ****ing poisonous all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I can't understand why anybody would care about how often another poster posts. It's strange.

I can't understand why anybody would care about how often another poster posts. It's strange.

It's very weird tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Right now Rodgers is showing any major intent to adapt and try something different to pull Liverpool out of the mire.
    He has however in the past shown a willingness to adapt.
    Most notably, when he got the Liverpool job the mantra was death by football. Pass pass pass for as long as it took for the opposition to lapse in concentration and then pounce.

With the firepower of Suarez and Sturridge along with the pace and dribbling abilities if players like Sterling and Couthinho Rodgers dumped his original philosophy and embraced a style which played to the team's strenght.
    That to me highlights great willingbess to change and cut your cloth to suit.

Whats most maddening of all is he's gone into his shell now and seems to be losing the self belief that change is the best method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Good news - Stoke squad hit by some sort of intestinal illness. Two "first 11" players down so far Asmir Begovic and Phil Bardsley have to hope Walters, Diouf and Crouchigol fall foul.

Jon Walters could have a field day against messrs Skrtel and Lovren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Jon Walters could have a field day against messrs Skrtel and Lovren

Yep,let's hope he gets the schither as well.

Off to Liverpool 1st thing for this weekends game, just hope for same result as last time o went to see Liverpool v Stoke which was 4-0

You are our good luck charm, make it happen you Derry lunatic!

You will also be personally held responsible if we lose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement