Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yup.

When Gerrard came in, the Amount of Shuffling we did to the Positions, was just Unbelievable. Even the Commentators noticed it.

Just goes to show you the Length at what BR would do, to Accommodate him.

Annoying thing is I can see him walking straight back in on Tuesday. I would guess he was rested due to it being the 3rd game in a week more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

monkey9 wrote: »
    The best thing about Gerrard not playing is it saves us from those f*cking obligatory standard 'Gerrard is sh!te' posts as if he's the problem.

er....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

MrAlan and LuckyLloyd nowhere to be seen when we win......coincidence? I would say almost certainly yes :pac:

(obviously joking btw)

He's more Mobile than Gerrard though.

At least with Lucas he actually Dribbles the Ball, if the Forward Pass is not on.

With Gerrard, it's Pass to Skrtel/Lovren/FBs and then back to Gerrard again or Mignolet, then begin the Cycle anew, unless our Forwards drops back to Collect it.

Drove me Nuts.

While i agree my point is we need a better option at DM. Can may be the long term solution, his distribution is not great and he's still raw at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

NukaCola wrote: »
    While i agree my point is we need a better option at DM. Can may be the long term solution, his distribution is not great and he's still raw at the moment

He's not going to improve sitting on the bench though!

10430470_10202917568638608_8510285513428597554_n.jpg?oh=acdac0061a3f24b4aa9b5ef927c9c412&oe=55121126&__gda__=1426353267_65df2d9c8827f946731951cd72e9d228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

NukaCola wrote: »
    MrAlan and LuckyLloyd nowhere to be seen when we win......coincidence? I would say almost certainly yes :pac:

(obviously joking btw)

What's the opposite of a fair-weather fan? :pac:

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Bar the miss where he should have scored, what a performance by the forgotten man today, Lucas Leiva. Lost our way abit when Gerrard replaced him. He was composed, pressed well, held his DM position well and pushed forward when he needed to. Has to start again the next day

He was fantastic, Toure too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Glen johnson is dat guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rarnes1 wrote: »
    10430470_10202917568638608_8510285513428597554_n.jpg?oh=acdac0061a3f24b4aa9b5ef927c9c412&oe=55121126&__gda__=1426353267_65df2d9c8827f946731951cd72e9d228

Glen the Redeemed.

• Advertisement

535944_823145261064489_3070731868819807714_n.jpg?oh=8c5c030f538f27ad863767d438c315cf&oe=550CDADC

Any chance Suarez could give the EPL cheat codes to Rickie or Mario?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I'd actually leave Henderson and Gerrard out of the team. Never happen though.

Also would love to see us use a free form 4-6-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Its great to finally win again. Makes such a difference to my mood when we win! :D

Im reading a fair few posts on here stating "rodgers has lost the plot" "he made some crazy decisions today" etc but no one is elaborating on any of those points?

From my point of view the contentious decisions were.

1. Moreno dropped for Enrique. - Made sense to me, against a physical side especially with Walters down the right, Enrique would handle him better.

2. Gerrard dropped - made sense. Cant be playing every game.

3. Lalana dropped - Coutinho started. Could argue that Lalana has been playing better but meh.

4. Lovren dropped for Toure. Delighted.

5. Lucas started - Needed to help us improve defensively. Had a great game.

6. Subbing on Lovren at the end - Didn't like this decision as we turned over possession after this. Can argue that we were preforming a shut out.

Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

joe123 wrote: »
    Its great to finally win again. Makes such a difference to my mood when we win! :D

Im reading a fair few posts on here stating "rodgers has lost the plot" "he made some crazy decisions today" etc but no one is elaborating on any of those points?

1. Moreno dropped for Enrique. - Made sense to me, against a physical side especially with Walters down the right, Enrique would handle him better.

3. Lalana dropped - Coutinho started. Could argue that Lalana has been playing better but meh.

6. Subbing on Lovren at the end - Didn't like this decision as we turned over possession after this. Can argue that we were preforming a shut out.

Am I missing something?

No Borini even as an option, not starting Lallana, starting Johnson (okay he scored!), subbed off Lucas for Gerrard rather than Can and Coutinho for Lovren rather than Lallana.

Rodgers definitely got it right today. Hopefully we can get 4 points at least from the next 2 and stick it to the fairweathers that were calling for his head last week.

Am I missing something?

I'd have questions if that was the reason he was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

_79394366_johnson_epa.jpg

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

No Borini even as an option, not starting Lallana, starting Johnson (okay he scored!), subbed off Lucas for Gerrard rather than Can and Coutinho for Lovren rather than Lallana.

Borini not on the bench is a fair point. He has been pretty average though. He doesnt have a career with us now its fairly obvious. Lallana not starting, yeah its a valid point but other than Coutinho who would you drop?

Its clear Rodgers wanted a more solid team out there and Allen, Henderson and Lucas give that.

We were chasing a goal when Lucas came off. Allen dropped into Lucas' position and Gerrard pushed further forward. Gerrard has more goals in him than Lucas. I probably would have brought on Lallana at that stage.

All of this is hardly losing the plot like some are making out.

• Advertisement

Am I missing something?

No Borini on the bench was a terrible decision. I think looking at the bench today highlights the problem of even having Gerrard taking up a position on it. The subs today were Jones, Lovern, Moreno, Markovic, Gerrard, Lallana and Can. Jones and Lovern and Moreno are obvious selections. Markovic is our only winger choice. We then have 3 spots taken up by mdfielders and no striker. I'm not sure what Gerrard offers that can't be covered by Can or Lallana. Realistically he's never going to leave Gerrard out so I think Can should be dropped from the bench.

In game I thought it was clear why we need borini on the bench. Lambert was excellent but in the last 10 minutes he was out on his feet, the same happened during the week. We spend the time bumping the ball up an it just came straight back. Borini with his work-rate would have been perfect to chase balls into the corner and harass the stoke back four.

I thought Coutinho looked knackered as well, he shouldn't have last that long and I have no idea how Lallana didn't make an appearance. Again with his ability to keep possession I thought having him on would have been a huge help. When he brought on Lovern he basically just said "Lump it forward at all costs". For someone who goes on about possession it seemed very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I've given Johnson a lot of stick ( deservedly ) over the past season and a half but to see him jump in for that ball not caring about his face was brilliant.

You see it less often these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fair play to Johnson for that goal. He has gotten alot of criticism but that was such a brave & important goal. Hopefully we can get another 3 at Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've got it.

Last year we had the jinx/ anti-jinx and the panda saps injoke appreciation society.

We need more in-jokes .

Are you part of the IFA? I don't remember your application getting approved. If I recall, you failed the induction.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    More Mary Poppins.

And someone needs to stick that picture of Fritzel, Hitler et al as Liverpool fans in every match thread.

I was looking for that recently. Definitely needs to be put on a continual repost cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I've given Johnson a lot of stick ( deservedly ) over the past season and a half but to see him jump in for that ball not caring about his face was brilliant.

You see it less often these days

Have to say I agree with you !! It was great to see him do it and hopefully the manager will use it to show the team I want more of this out if the 11 players who start .

Turtyturd wrote: »
    More Mary Poppins.

And someone needs to stick that picture of Fritzel, Hitler et al as Liverpool fans in every match thread.

I fcking love that picture. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I was looking for that recently. Definitely needs to be put on a continual repost cycle.

I heard all the lads in it gather outside the Chelsea teams hotel the night before their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

People are nit picking too much regards Rodgers team selections and substitutions IMO, pre-game you will have 10 different posters and they'll all select a different starting XI that we should play, it's just not possible to please everyone.

Gerrard and Lovren being dropped is something people have been crying out for lately so he done that today and we looked far more solid, it's never going to be free flowing champagne football while we're so low in confidence, it'll take time to turn it around we need to eek a few wins out first. I'm not sure why Lallana is so out in the cold and maybe Moreno should be playing and Glenjo shouldn't but they are minor issues, so all the talk of Rodgers losing the plot is a bit ott.

Another thing is people moaning about Lovren being brought on when Crouch was coming on, I'd rather that than full backs bombing forward like we were doing earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

To get the win was hugely important. The frailty was obvious to see at the end. Like a knock out game.

Anyone else hear the wisdom of Ray Houghton on Newstalk afterwards?
    Claimed that without Gerrard Liverpool are too predictable and struggle to score goals, because with him in the side they've been scoring for fun.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Are you part of the IFA? I don't remember your application getting approved. If I recall, you failed the induction.

Its fairly easy to fail induction when you're trying to jinx anti-jinx your application ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

You are a bit clueless Brendan Rogers, Ian Ayre, Dave Fallows and Michael Edwards are the panel.

You should never get in the way of a good story.

Incidentally, you've just made Liverpools woes even more embarrassing.

Thank you, good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

People are nit picking too much regards Rodgers team selections and substitutions IMO, pre-game you will have 10 different posters and they'll all select a different starting XI that we should play, it's just not possible to please everyone.

Gerrard and Lovren being dropped is something people have been crying out for lately so he done that today and we looked far more solid, it's never going to be free flowing champagne football while we're so low in confidence, it'll take time to turn it around we need to eek a few wins out first. I'm not sure why Lallana is so out in the cold and maybe Moreno should be playing and Glenjo shouldn't but they are minor issues, so all the talk of Rodgers losing the plot is a bit ott.

Another thing is people moaning about Lovren being brought on when Crouch was coming on, I'd rather that than full backs bombing forward like we were doing earlier in the season.

I think the continued absence of Lallana is more than a minor issue. He was a player that was high up on the wish list and one Liverpool were willing to match Southamptons valuation for. After chasing him for a fair bit of the summer he cant get a game regularly despite doing pretty decent in most of the bits he has played in.

Why expend all that time and energy chasing him, pay a hefty fee and then leave him on the bench repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Delighted for Glen Johnson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I think the continued absence of Lallana is more than a minor issue. He was a player that was high up on the wish list and one Liverpool were willing to match Southamptons valuation for. After chasing him for a fair bit of the summer he cant get a game regularly despite doing pretty decent in most of the bits he has played in.

Why expend all that time and energy chasing him, pay a hefty fee and then leave him on the bench repeatedly.

Yes, that's fair enough, I feel sorry for Lallana myself he should be getting more game time, with todays line-up I figure it was either Lallana or Coutinho which is much of a muchness really hence why I was saying it was minor but yes in general it is a bit of a head scratcher what's going on with Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hidalgo wrote: »

I'm genuinely confused by this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

glenjo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

^^The awesomeness is back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

We are now Top of the Bottom...Get In!!! YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

T-K-O wrote: »
    Delighted for Glen Johnson.

Why? A goal is the bare minimum i'd expect from him at this stage.

Pre-game I don't think anyone had any huge problem with his team selection. In game it was hugely different. During the week we conceded a late goal when he left on a knackered Gerrard and Lambert. We struggled to keep possession at the end of that game and we did the same today. If Sterling doesn't decide to go back on his line then we draw this game 1-1 and then Rodgers is rightly taken to the cleaners for his terrible tactics. Looking at how Rodgers has managed the in game situations would anyone here have any confidence beating United in two weeks time 1-0? I wouldn't. It would take a huge amount of luck and good fortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

2 points gained on Chelsea.

Why? A goal is the bare minimum i'd expect from him at this stage.

Why ? Because the majority of the comments on here about Johnson are ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Why ? Because the majority of the comments on here about Johnson are ridiculous.

There actually not hes been a disgraceful defender and a shadow of his former self the last two years.

ASOT wrote: »
    There actually not hes been a disgraceful defender and a shadow of his former self the last two years.

He's a guy who is past his prime, no question. His performances are not as bad as certain posters like to make out. He makes the same mistakes he has always made, and his attacking powers are not as strong. However, To brand an ageing player a disgrace is, well, disgraceful.

The fact that he earns a **** load seems to bug people.

Get over it.

Ha, Chelsea only drew.

It's on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

He's a guy who is past his prime, no question. His performances are not as bad as certain posters like to make out. He makes the same mistakes he has always made, and his attacking powers are not as strong. However, To brand an ageing player a disgrace is, well, disgraceful.

Get over it.

Well I disagree, hes been the worst performer easily over the last two years. He makes about three costly mistakes without fail every single game.

The fact people dislike him seems to bug you.

Get over it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ha, Chelsea only drew.

It's on

They got out Chelseaed from the sound of it.

They are like some noob Irish guy storming into the lead of a marathon while we're the cool as f*ck Kenyan guy biding his time because we know it's not a sprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Get over it.

One swallow does not make summer, GJ has a long way to go to redeem his reputation after his lethargic form of the last couple of seasons. Disgraceful is not too strong a word to describe his effort & commitment as a senior member of this squad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A good result and shows what a proper DM can do in front of the defence and also having a leader in the CB role.

You can nip pick other parts of the team but they were the main areas that needed to be dealt with.

I would hope the manager would start the same back 5 and DM for the game on Tuesday now. (Barring injury)

The attacking 5 then can be worked on once the DM and back 5 get settled.

• Advertisement

Get over it.

He turned 30 in August.It's not like he's on his last legs - although watching him you'd think different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement