Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Only 16 points behind Chelsea. Come back is on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

3rd on MotD.

_79397899_motd.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

garra wrote: »
    One swallow does not make summer, GJ has a long way to go to redeem his reputation after his lethargic form of the last couple of seasons. Disgraceful is not too strong a word to describe his effort & commitment as a senior member of this squad,
    He turned 30 in August.It's not like he's on his last legs - although watching him you'd think different.

To me, Johnson is a guy past his best. Guys tend to notice this in his defending, slow, lethargic form but he's the same going forward.

Take Fernando Torres for example, I wouldn't describe Torres at Chelsea/Milan as a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Coutinho needs to start every game I think. Even when he's having an off day and his passing is errant, he still causes so many problems to the opposition with his pace, dribbling and the fact that he actually makes runs. Sterling plays better when Coutinho is on the field too.

Great second half from the team today, notably quicker tempo, more aggressive pressing etc. Nice to finally see some nice quick interchanges aroung their box again.

Only major negative was that we just drew them onto us for the last 10 minutes. very dangerous move, and got quite lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

A few weeks ago I couldn't watch the Newcastle game live so I recorded it,turned off my phone,avoided the radio and managed to make it through the day unaware of the score. Watched it later and wanted to die tbh.

Anyway...similar situation today...should I do it? My heart isn't really in it.

Managed to do it again but I need to organise my life a bit better I think.

Woo,we won.

I slagged off Johnson a couple of times this morning and in the first half he was brutal but that was a very brave header for the goal so fair play to him. I still don't want him in the team tho.

Lucas was fantastic and has to start the next game. Allen and Lambert were great.

Don't know what was said at half time but the pace doubled in the second half and we played some nice stuff at times.

What the hell was Coutinho at during the first half? Some ridiculous(not in a good way)passes. Managed to compose himself a bit in the second half but still was a very disappointing performance from him.

Onwards \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Based on our squad the only player I'd change for the next game is glenjo.

I think we've had a few moments in the recent slump when we have played well but haven't scored and today was like that, with a bit more resolve.

A proper quick finisher at the top there would make the world of difference. Not just being a threat for chances created but also runs in behind, space created and pressure off the others. Drag the scouts all over europe and the Americas to find him and get him in. Even balotelli and Lambert would benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

T-K-O wrote: »
    To me, Johnson is a guy past his best. Guys tend to notice this in his defending, slow, lethargic form but he's the same going forward.

Take Fernando Torres for example, I wouldn't describe Torres at Chelsea/Milan as a disgrace.

Thats fine for you if you are happy to just assign his lack of endeavour to the aging process - most on here are not willing to give our senior squad leaders such an easy ride. He's 30 and has been in fine physical shape for long periods of the last 18 mths, so for me there is no excusing so many tepid performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

No game again for alberto for malaga, not sure if he was even on the bench. Malaga look a good side and are doing well so i guess the manager doesn't want to change things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

klose wrote: »
    No game again for alberto for malaga, not sure if he was even on the bench. Malaga look a good side and are doing well so i guess the manager doesn't want to change things up.

Bit irrelevant as I dont see Alberto having a future at LFC. Only a matter of time before hes sold id say

garra wrote: »
    Thats fine for you if you are happy to just assign his lack of endeavour to the aging process - most on here are not willing to give our senior squad leaders such an easy ride. He's 30 and has been in fine physical shape for long periods of the last 18 mths, so for me there is no excusing so many tepid performances.

To be fair, I wouldn't take too much notice from most on here. Again I'll use Torres as an example. He has also been fine in terms of fitness, what happened there, not interested, disgraceful?

I wont loose any sleep if GJ never starts again but there is no question he has been a target in here. The easy out lazy commentary.... 'God Johnson starts' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Good to get a win & clean sheet. Although hardly a convincing day at the office, however obvious improvement today was good to see. If Gerrard comes back into the DM role again on Tuesday I'll tear my hair out.

To be fair, I wouldn't take too much notice from most on here. Again I'll use Torres as an example. He has also been fine in terms of fitness, what happened there, not interested, disgraceful?

I wont loose any sleep if GJ never starts again but there is no question he has been a target in here. The easy out lazy commentary.... 'God Johnson starts' :rolleyes:

He's been a target in here and EVERYWHERE because he's been absolute shit.

He's been a target in here and EVERYWHERE because he's been absolute shit.

He's in good company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Coutinho needs to start every game I think. Even when he's having an off day and his passing is errant, he still causes so many problems to the opposition with his pace, dribbling and the fact that he actually makes runs. Sterling plays better when Coutinho is on the field too.

Great second half from the team today, notably quicker tempo, more aggressive pressing etc. Nice to finally see some nice quick interchanges aroung their box again.

Only major negative was that we just drew them onto us for the last 10 minutes. very dangerous move, and got quite lucky.

:eek::confused: You're kidding? Even today, though he looked decent in possession he scarcely influenced the game. Sure, he made that 'Brazilianesque' slalom run in the first half but he isn't working near a level which would have him as one of the first names on the team sheet. I'd be happy if Lallana started on Tuesday night instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He's in good company.

Credit where it's due, Johnson has operating at a superior level of **** than any other squad member for well over a year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Good to get a win & clean sheet. Although hardly a convincing day at the office, however obvious improvement today was good to see. If Gerrard comes back into the DM role again on Tuesday I'll tear my hair out.

Absolutely. Far too often this season a player has come in, played better than the guy he replaces, and then is dropped for the next few games.

That midfield trio needs to stay the same for a few games now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, Rodgers needs to fix his teeth again, or get them re-whitened, or something. It was obviously that that made the team perform for him.

He's in good company.

This season yes. What's his excuse for last season?

This season yes. What's his excuse for last season?

He's a greedy, disgraceful, headless chicken. Check your memo's

Knex. wrote: »
    Also, Rodgers needs to fix his teeth again, or get them re-whitened, or something. It was obviously that that made the team perform for him.

If he drops Lucas and puts Gerrard back in the DM position I'll fix his teeth for him.

3qw6s2.jpg

• Advertisement

He's a greedy, disgraceful, headless chicken. Check your memo's

Yes he is. You've kind of lost me now.

Would much rather see Lallana starting instead of Coutinho as I think there's goals in Lallana.

Happy with today though, Stoke are no pushovers and Liverpool went into the game in 11th so 3 points is decent.

I fully expect to see Gerrard start against Leicester, mixed feelings, part of me is very hopeful that Gerrard will find some form soon, also winning is a habit and going into the Leicester game after beating Stoke might give the team a boost.

Lambert continues to impress imo, credit to him for the goal (and Glen too of course, he was in the right place at the right time and got the job done when many others wouldn't have fancied it), it was a great header and he gave the Stoke defence something to think about, he's a great pro to be fair, recent two goals in two games has lifted the monkey off his back, 33 in Feb but he'll score when played consistently, we definitely will need him next year too even if two very decent strikers come in.

Borini might get a game or two in a shopwindow type opportunity but he clearly should have taken the managers advice and left at the beginning of the season.

Lucas wasn't bad at all, I feel him and Allen combine well and have a decent understanding of what's needed to cover the back four, all things being equal Gerrard should be a threat to neither for a DM position. I'd like to see Can but today was not the day, no harm in that.

Gotta love Sterling, he's not getting pushed off many balls these days :)

Plenty of food for thought for Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gerrard will be back Tuesday, if only for the fact Lucas won't start 3 games in 7 days.

However, it must be obvious that Lucas, even though he's about 40% of what he was 3 years ago, is still easily our best DM.

there's something very depressing about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

SlickRic wrote: »
    Gerrard will be back Tuesday, if only for the fact Lucas won't start 3 games in 7 days.

However, it must be obvious that Lucas, even though he's about 40% of what he was 3 years ago, is still easily our best DM.

I'd rather see Allen play DM than Gerrard. Gerrard is not suitable for the deep-lying midfield role, mainly because his main strength from that position (long range passing) is pretty irrelevant in our current side. In my opinion, Gerrard should either play further up the field, or not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

The fact gerrard has played further forward the last two games is hopefully evidence his days as a dm are over. Lucas played very well today, allen/hendo/can can put in shifts in a midfield two if rodgers wants to persist with the 4231 aswell. Obviously a matic-esque dm should still be a priority for the club in the future .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

SlickRic wrote: »

And despite the money spent on cbs the best is 33??

Whilst Gerrard will most likely start, hopefully he's shoehorned in well up the pitch. Main problem there of course is no pace between himself and Lambert.

Personally I'd be curious to see Balotelli off Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    :eek::confused: You're kidding? Even today, though he looked decent in possession he scarcely influenced the game. Sure, he made that 'Brazilianesque' slalom run in the first half but he isn't working near a level which would have him as one of the first names on the team sheet. I'd be happy if Lallana started on Tuesday night instead of him.

He actually didn't have a great game today, but that's what made me post about him. Even on an off day, he's one of the only players who plays like we did last year and I think that rubs off on others.

He had a hand in just about everything good we did. Most impressively, he pressed the opposition and made runs. So often this year we look so stationary, but he constantly opened space up for others to exploit with his movement. Sterling in particular got a great benefit from this - where he would have been double marked, Coutinho would make a run and pull a man away, giving Sterling a chance 1 on 1 with his man. They had some great interplay with each other too.

For me right now, the most important thing is getting the attitude right - everything else will improve if that does. He moreso than most brings that back. I'd have him starting over Gerrard every day of the week right now, with Sterling and Lallana. Lambert ahead, and Henderson and Allen/Lucas behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Hidalgo wrote: »
    And despite the money spent on cbs the best is 33??

Whilst Gerrard will most likely start, hopefully he's shoehorned in well up the pitch. Main problem there of course is no pace between himself and Lambert.

Personally I'd be curious to see Balotelli off Lambert.

I'd be curious to see a proper striker linking up with Sterling and Coutinho like we saw last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Was that ger canning commentating for the qpr game on motd?

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see a proper striker linking up with Sterling and Coutinho like we saw last season.

Lambert has come into an underperforming team and in 3 consecutive starts has 2 goals and an assist... He's no nutmeg master but he's definitely a proper striker :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Lambert has come into an underperforming team and in 3 consecutive starts has 2 goals and an assist... He's no nutmeg master but he's definitely a proper striker :)

He's a back up striker and is doing a grand job.

By no means a long term option though. Nor are Balotelli or Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's not a proper striker for the type of football this team are supposedly set up to play. If you want to play Gerrard as a DM knocking long balls up he's your man, but to get the best out of the team a much more mobile player is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Was that ger canning commentating for the qpr game on motd?

Connor McNamara

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

A few weeks ago I couldn't watch the Newcastle game live so I recorded it,turned off my phone,avoided the radio and managed to make it through the day unaware of the score. Watched it later and wanted to die tbh.

Anyway...similar situation today...should I do it? My heart isn't really in it.

I couldn't watch it as was working. Don't have the means to record it so I decided to avoid looking up the score and read the match thread instead. So as to get a flavour of the rollercoaster of emotions a live viewing gives. Sounds a bit sad but I get to see the game vicariously through the eyes of ye folks! Worked for me, thanks guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Some of our play in the 2nd half was really good but I have to ask do people think Stoke were just rubbish or did Liverpool really do alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Augmerson wrote: »
    Some of our play in the 2nd half was really good but I have to ask do people think Stoke were just rubbish or did Liverpool really do alright?

Bit of both, but there has been times this season when we've not been able to get a result even when the opposition hasn't been good. So it's still a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Knex. wrote: »

A winning smile, one might say.

Lessons from the past 9 hours, Kerrigooney needs to keep recording games and avoiding weirdos like us until game end. Also Kerrigooney needs to keep Brendans teeth intact. Also, dissing Lambert cluelessly is also loltastic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Rega wrote: »
    Connor McNamara

I could have sworn it was canning:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I couldn't watch it as was working. Don't have the means to record it so I decided to avoid looking up the score and read the match thread instead. So as to get a flavour of the rollercoaster of emotions a live viewing gives. Sounds a bit sad but I get to see the game vicariously through the eyes of ye folks! Worked for me, thanks guys.

Jesus, as if suporting Liverpool in the first place wasn't maschostic enough!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What a win today. I think it will kick start the season. What was said at half time. Different team second half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Off to Liverpool 1st thing for this weekends game, just hope for same result as last time o went to see Liverpool v Stoke which was 4-0

The real reason we won :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Didn't see the match, just the highlights. Johnson did very well with the goal. Great reading of the situation and super brave to dive in there.

Its his job and he gets paid a **** load as we all know. But fair play to him. Vital goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I couldn't care less what time Ballotelli goes to bed if he was banging in goals and busting a gut for the team.

He's not though and tbh I'd be delighted to see the back of him on January 1st.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lessons from the past 9 hours, Kerrigooney needs to keep recording games and avoiding weirdos like us until game end. Also Kerrigooney needs to keep Brendans teeth intact. Also, dissing Lambert cluelessly is also loltastic :)

It's pretty tricky but if I thought it would work,I'd do it. No problem.

Lambert has shown more in the last 2 games than Mario has in all his games combined and has to stay in the team for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Turtyturd wrote: »

And someone needs to stick that picture of Fritzel, Hitler et al as Liverpool fans in every match thread.

As a Liverpool fan I went back looking for this and it's gone.

Also a shame to see what's been done to the thread since then.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I went back looking for this and it's gone.

Also a shame to see what's been done to the thread since then.

I thought I was losing my mind. Or all of you were...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Augmerson wrote: »

There was definitely an improvement in the 2nd half. Intensity picked up which shouldn't be directly affected by the opposition. That needs to be a constant.
    Liverpool have played worse against worse teams.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What a win today. I think it will kick start the season. What was said at half time. Different team second half.

Gerrard asked Bemitez to leave the dressing room.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement