Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30272959
    "I want to play for a club that wants me," said the 30-year-old. "I am not going to go crawling to anybody.
    As I suspected really, Johnson is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Maybe he'd go back to West Ham?

They need a RB, having taken Jenkinson on loan who I assume Arsenal will want back.
    It's his previous club, he clearly has some feeling for them. And we know Sam loves English and experienced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sounds like 'suicide by quote' doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

GlenJo has really tried to milk the goal with those comments coming so close after the game.

He is on something crazy per week (is it above 100k?) and past it. He'd need massive pay cut in order to be a decent squad option.

I'd say he is gone as well.

In fairness you couldn't blame Johnson for wanting to get as much cash as he can get.

It'll be good deal for everyone really if he leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

noodler wrote: »
    GlenJo has really tried to milk the goal with those comments coming so close after the game.

He is on something crazy per week (is it above 100k?) and past it. He'd need massive pay cut in order to be a decent squad option.

I'd say he is gone as well.

If we don't want to pay it then that's fine. Personally I wouldn't but it looks like other teams like Roma are willing to offer him 120k a week. So we pay or he leaves. He isn't going to half his wages to stay when he can get his current wage elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think the Italian league would suit Johnson tbh. You always wanted to like Johnson but he'd always mess it up, like that semi-final against Aletico Madrid were he fell asleep and Forlan scored. I think he would have been better in some Liverpool sides as a winger than a fullback and it's disappointing he doesn't have more goals as he had a wicked strike even from well outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Saying the Italian game suits someone is a backhanded compliment.

Johnson had some great seasons as a fullback. He's just really gone backwards this last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Are Roma really happy to offer Johnson his supposed 120k a week? I'd be amazed if true. Still can't get over him being on that kind of wage, is there a full back anywhere in the world on that kind of wage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Suffering from what happened to Riise IMO. And there is no regular DM in the team to cover his position when he goes forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brevity wrote: »
    Suffering from what happened to Riise IMO. And there is no regular DM in the team to cover his position when he goes forward.

I don't think that is it at all.

He can't take on players anymore, never goes around. Rarely gets as many shots in, less accurate with the ones he does get in.

I mean, having a DM there to cover him would be nice but I don't feel it autmatically gives him his pace or attack spark back.

When you couple this loss of attacking ability, the reason we paid a premium for him in transfer fees and wages, with his seemingly lack of concern for defending then it really puts the nail in his coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

klose wrote: »
    Are Roma really happy to offer Johnson his supposed 120k a week? I'd be amazed if true. Still can't get over him being on that kind of wage, is there a full back anywhere in the world on that kind of wage?

Well it depends on the length of contract. People tend to think about this stuff wrong. You aren't paying a transfer fee so effectively his weekly wage is much lower which is why teams may be willing to offer him his current wage. Couple of million plus 60k is effectively the same as no fee and 120k a week. If he was performing regularly at his past best I wouldn't have any issue with offering him his current wage. I just don't think he's good enough anymore rather than huge issues with offering what he wants to stay.

noodler wrote: »
    I don't think that is it at all.

He can't take on players anymore, never goes around. Rarely gets as many shots in, less accurate with the ones he does get in.

I mean, having a DM there to cover him would be nice but I don't feel it autmatically gives him his pace or attack spark back.

When you couple this loss of attacking ability, the reason we paid a premium for him in transfer fees and wages, with his seemingly lack of concern for defending then it really puts the nail in his coffin.

I think all that comes from complacency due to lack of competition. Probably age too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tickets sorted for Basel on the Kop.

Lets hope my 100% win rate continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think Johnson also has an inflated opinion of his ability, with which he hasn't factored in his declining abilities due to age.
    Something akin to that middle age bloke we all know that still tries his case with women far younger than him, despite his beer gut, follicle manipulation and a desperate need to dress hip. Ya know Kerrigooney.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Tickets sorted for Basel on the Kop.

Lets hope my 100% win rate continues.

I think I was on about 12 before my 100% record evaporated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The only thing is that if Johnson leaves, you can be sure he will be giving his all as he is now in the shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5starpool wrote: »
    I think I was on about 12 before my 100% record evaporated.

Then you went on that shocking run which had everyone here trying to ban you from going to games :pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    Then you went on that shocking run which had everyone here trying to ban you from going to games :pac:

Ya, it was a brutal fall from grace. I think my record in my first 15 games (spread out over a good few years) was something like W13 D2, then I went something like 7 without a win. Since that duck has been broken I think I've had about 15 games with mixed success but more wins than losses.

I haven't been to a game this season yet, but I'm getting back in the horse for the West Ham game on 31st Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I went something like W9 D2 L0 until the villa game this season :(

I haven't been able to get my hand on tickets for any of the remaining games. Probably for the best :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm on W8/D1, and something like 25-4 in goals as well. I'm surprised the club don't pay for me to go over... ;)

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    I'm on W8/D1, and something like 25-4 in goals as well. I'm surprised the club don't pay for me to go over... ;)

J.

Fuck it, at this stage this thread will nearly start a whip-a-round and send you over ourselves :pac:

I think good records like that are more likely if you go to one or two games a season as tickets for the 'smaller' games are probably a bit easier to get, or were until recent years anyhow, but the more games you go to the more likely you'll see some crap. My bad run coincided with the end of Kenny's reign and the start of Brendan's one. My first non win was the 2-2 draw with Everton in Kenny's first home game back in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Last 5 games;
    Pool 0 - 1 Soton
    Pool 5 - 1 Arsenal
    Pool 2 - 1 Toon
    Pool 0 - 1 Villa
    Pool 0 - 0 Hull

With the exception of that Arsenal match my recent record has been shocking. Hoping to get to see Swansea and Leicester over the Christmas.
    Sorry. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

My record at Anfield is 5 games, W4 D0 L1 with 11 scored, 8 conceded....spanning 18 years from the first to the 5th!

Edit: Might as well put in the games

Pool 4-3 Newcastle
    Pool 3-2 Everton
    Pool 1-0 Barcelona
    Pool 1-2 Chelsea
    Pool 2-1 Ludogorets

Citytillidie should setup the thread, he was our good luck charm against Stoke.

8-10 wrote: »
    My record at Anfield is 5 games, W4 D0 L1 with 11 scored, 8 conceded....spanning 18 years from the first to the 5th!

Edit: Might as well put in the games

Pool 4-3 Newcastle
    Pool 3-2 Everton
    Pool 1-0 Barcelona
    Pool 1-2 Chelsea
    Pool 2-1 Ludogorets

Original Pool vs Toon or the sequel?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Citytillidie should setup the thread, he was our good luck charm against Stoke.

Aye, that bloody Glen Johnson got too much credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bringing the underage team to show the senior players how to do it.

https://twitter.com/sheyi_ojo/status/539443664624578560

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

My record is a mixed bag...first game I got to see was the last season of the Kop. Had seen it all on TV, the swaying and singing of the crowd, the roar when we'd score, you'll never walk alone etc etc. Was expecting great things. Never got to see any celebrations.
    We got beaten 0-2 by newcastle. (they'd come up that year and had cole and Beardsley in the team).

P11 W6 D3 L2 F21 A12

Streaming TV shows illegally. Tut tut tut.

Bringing the underage team to show the senior players how to do it.

https://twitter.com/sheyi_ojo/status/539443664624578560

I'm moist, yes MOIST at the potential of Kent, Ojo, Canos, Wilson and a couple of others in the next couple of years. I really think there could be a gold-plate generation of attacking players coming through the ranks. They have to be looked after properly and given every chance to flourish at Liverpool and nowhere else except on loan.

I'm moist, yes MOIST at the potential of Kent, Ojo, Canos, Wilson and a couple of others in the next couple of years. I really think there could be a gold-plate generation of attacking players coming through the ranks. They have to be looked after properly and given every chance to flourish at Liverpool and nowhere else except on loan.

You've the wood out again so?

People getting moist at the mention of under-age talent. Hmmmm. The Gordee (as they say on RTE) will be calling around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mosstin wrote: »
    Original Pool vs Toon or the sequel?

The first one. With the Rush - Barnes combo setting up Stan for the winner. We went mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Your getting carried away there. Youngsters have to dominate underage to have a chance at making the 1st team. The players u mentioned have all done very well but out of them I only see Ojo with a very good chance of making the 1st team. Ibe is well ahead of the players u mentoned & not much older.

I watch them enough to know what I see. They are all potentially first team squad players. Sure Ibe is bigger and quicker but Canos, Wilson and Kent are already great ball carriers, they'll get bigger and stronger. Ojo is interesting for his rapid physical development, it has come on in bounds.

Just listening to 5live talking about Gerrard, Christ some bull**** being spouted by people who should know much better - Rory Smith, John Barnes and Motty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Last four have all been wins, so on a good run. was even there for 2 Downing goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I watch them enough to know what I see. They are all potentially first team squad players. Sure Ibe is bigger and quicker but Canos, Wilson and Kent are already great ball carriers, they'll get bigger and stronger. Ojo is interesting for his rapid physical development, it has come on in bounds.

Just listening to 5live talking about Gerrard, Christ some bull**** being spouted by people who should know much better - Rory Smith, John Barnes and Motty
    :(

I'll have a word with them, Harry.

:p

• Advertisement

It was depressing, only Smith was willing to suggest a clean break was possibly the best thing for both parties. Barnes but esp Motty were talking about him like he was not in much decline at all. They were much quicker to blame on the team as a whole, it appears to have escaped them that Gerrard is part of the problem not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Saw Robbie Keane open his account with 2 v West Brom
    Was also in attendance for Hodgson's last home game with the athlete that was Joe Cole bundling in an injury time winner v Bolton

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Saw Robbie Keane open his account with 2 v West Brom
    Was also in attendance for Hodgson's last home game with the athlete that was Joe Cole bundling in an injury time winner v Bolton

A list brimming with Liverpool legends, right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Mario could be in trouble for a tweet this evening
    Mario Balotelli could face an Football Association investigation after posting what appeared to be an image on his social media feed that included an allegedly offensive reference to race and Judaism.

The Liverpool striker quickly defended his action, though he deleted the original post.

"My Mom is jewish so all of u shut up please," the Italian then tweeted after receiving complaints about his original post.

Despite deleting the post Balotelli could still face FA action.

In 2012 Rio Ferdinand was charged by the game's governing body for a tweet which used the phrase "choc ice" which the FA said "was improper and/or bought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race".

Ferdinand was subsequently fined £45,000 after an independent regulatory commission found proven a charge of improper conduct.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/balotelli-at-centre-of-racism-and-antisemitism-storm-following-instagram-post-30789377.html?utm_source=indoshare&utm_medium=socialoremail&utm_campaign=indoshare

B3yydgoCQAAJ_0T.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There should be a special dispensation for footballers with a low IQ like balotelli.

Some people really need to get the stick out of their arse if they find that offensive.

I hate this PC crap when they take a clear humorous post, or joke, and jump on a high horse.

With any luck it'll just speed up his exit from the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some people really need to get the stick out of their arse if they find that offensive.

I hate this PC crap when they take a clear humorous post, or joke, and jump on a high horse.

Ya you or me can do it but a guy in the public eye like mario, it's really idiotic. I personally don't care but he should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

When you are joking about grabbing coins like a Jew you are in Dave Whelan territory. I'd say it will be a fine though being his first offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Agger speaks on why he left.
    Agger has admitted it pained him to leave and he would have liked to have remained in Merseyside but he felt the time was right for a change of scene.

Agger said: "I felt like the last time at Liverpool I needed a change, after many, many years.

"It's just a feeling, it's difficult to describe.
    The Danish defender departed Anfield to return to former club Brondby after failing to get enough playing time under Brendan Rodgers.
    "It was a mix of football and the feeling of my body not being able to play the physical games, but the most important thing was that I wasn't happy going to training every day.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/413095/Daniel-Agger-Why-I-left-Liverpool

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement