Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

My attendances have been sporadic ..

1990 Charity Shield Final, 1:1 ManU, joined in with Pool fans after rockin up to Wembley without ticket, acquired ticket and was passed joints by LFC fans around me for most of the match, which was an experience..

1998 - 1:3 Home loss to Leeds Utd, last game of joint management of Evans/Houllier. Fresh faced feckin Alan Smith scored with his first touch on his debut, we reckoned he would turn into a top top striker. Lol

2013 - 0:6 - Superbly enjoyable away trip to Newcastle, couldn't get an Away end ticket so had to contain myself while surrounded by raging Toon fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

jaykay74 wrote: »
    When you are joking about grabbing coins like a Jew you are in Dave Whelan territory. I'd say it will be a fine though being his first offense.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Its a terrible 'joke', but its clear Mario didn't make the image himself, or didn't intend any malice behind it. Then again, the contrast of the first line saying, "Don't be racist", and the last line being, "Grab coins like a jew", is ironically funny. Doubt Mario realised it, though!

Anyway, no worse than someone saying, "Drink like the Irish'. I doubt anyone here would give a toss if he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Tickets sorted for Basel on the Kop.

Lets hope my 100% win rate continues.

I wasn't gonna bring this up but when I saw your post I said screw it.
    I actualy made it to Anfield for my first time a few weeks ago for the Real Madrid game. I was working in London or a couple of weeks just before and me and one of my work mates that is also a Pool fan got tickets and decided to go.
    The atmosphere was amazing. Luckily our seats were in the Kop also, row 33 just behind the goals to the right. We may have lost the game 3-0 and I may not have eperienced a goal scored by us but just that few minutes when they played "You'll never walk alone" before the game kicked off was worth the small fortune I parted with alone. The hairs on the back of my neck stood. It was an amazing experience, very surreal after all these years of supporting never making it over. I'll have to go again to experience us scoring a goal or even possibly winning the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Dortmund are still bottom or near the bottom in January maybe we should start trying to tempt them into selling some players our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

If Dortmund are still bottom or near the bottom in January maybe we should start trying to tempt them into selling some players our way.

With our transfer committee we would probably end up with Weidenfeller:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I think Johnson also has an inflated opinion of his ability, with which his hasn't factored in his declining abilities due to age.
    Something akin to that middle age bloke we all know that still tries his case with women far younger than him, despite his beer gut, follicle manipulation and a desperate need to dress hip. Ya know Kerrigooney.

I'm just home from work and too tired to respond to this character assassination but your card is marked. Oh yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Hi guys,

Fairly new to Dublin. Just wondering does anyone have any pubs I could catch the game on tomorrow. Fairly sure it's on BTsport. If a pub in Drumcondra shows the games that would be great. Otherwise I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Finical wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Fairly new to Dublin. Just wondering does anyone have any pubs I could catch the game on tomorrow. Fairly sure it's on BTsport. If a pub in Drumcondra shows the games that would be great. Otherwise I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys!

I haven't watched any games in any pubs in ages, but I'd imagine most pubs around Drumconrda will be showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. Its a terrible 'joke', but its clear Mario didn't make the image himself, or didn't intend any malice behind it. Then again, the contrast of the first line saying, "Don't be racist", and the last line being, "Grab coins like a jew", is ironically funny. Doubt Mario realised it, though!

Anyway, no worse than someone saying, "Drink like the Irish'. I doubt anyone here would give a toss if he did.
    This actually pretty much is the Dave Whelan argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mario will get punished. There can be no arguments tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wish Liverpool would stop signing racists!

CSF wrote: »
    This actually pretty much is the Dave Whelan argument.

The latter or the former?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The latter or the former?
    The last part in particular. I mean I'm sure this particular offence is worthy of a fine and a warning only but to be doing the 'pc gone mad' thing is an absolute nonsense.

It isn't ok to be tweeting racist things.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Footballers should be fined by clubs every time they tweet, never mind only when they tweet inappropriate stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The difference is saying "drink like the Irish" would probably be given as a compliment, so it's a bit different. The history with Jewish people is very different and saying "grab coins like a Jew" is pretty offensive. Instead of saying "drink like the Irish" it said "Blow people up like the Irish" then I think a lot of Irish people wouldn't be too pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really stupid thing for him to put up. Not as bad as the Ferdinand "choc-ice" thing against Ashley Cole, but still incredibly stupid. Definitely gonna get some form of punishment.

CSF wrote: »
    The last part in particular. I mean I'm sure this particular offence is worthy of a fine and a warning only but to be doing the 'pc gone mad' thing is an absolute nonsense.

It isn't ok to be tweeting racist things.

The difference is saying "drink like the Irish" would probably be given as a compliment so it's a bit different The history with Jewish people is very different and saying "grab coins like a Jew" is pretty offensive. Instead of of saying "drink like the Irish" it said "Blow people up like the Irish" then I think a lot of Irish people wouldn't be too pleased.

Valid point, actually. Although without wanting to get too far into it, I think your example about the irish is more extreme than the money stereotype. Its actually going more towards making a holocaust joke, although that would be worse again.

Still, I think the issue here is probably that Mario didn't even realize that the joke behind the image was the contrast between the "Don't be racist", and then the racial stereotype "Grab coins like a jew". If a comedian delivered that on stage, it would get a laugh I feel. People would understand the context/concept and its obviously more acceptable for a comedian on stage to deliver it, than a footballer tweeting.

I can see why he shouldn't be posting it though, and Chucky's point does put a better perspective on it.

I still think a lot of outrage that would stem from it to be over the top though, as there always seems to be people just looking for an excuse to shame.

A mistake on Mario's part, but I'd be surprised if he meant anything behind it. Tbh, I'd nearly wager he didn't even realise it was there at all until people called him on it. But obviously that's impossible to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Valid point, actually. Although without wanting to get too far into it, I think your example about the irish is more extreme than the money stereotype. Its actually going more towards making a holocaust joke, although that would be worse again.

Still, I think the issue here is probably that Mario didn't even realize that the joke behind the image was the contrast between the "Don't be racist", and then the racial stereotype "Grab coins like a jew". If a comedian delivered that on stage, it would get a laugh I feel. People would understand the context/concept and its obviously more acceptable for a comedian on stage to deliver it, than a footballer tweeting.

I can see why he shouldn't be posting it though, and Chucky's point does put a better perspective on it.

I still think a lot of outrage that would stem from it to be over the top though, as there always seems to be people just looking for an excuse to shame.

A mistake on Mario's part, but I'd be surprised if he meant anything behind it. Tbh, I'd nearly wager he didn't even realise it was there at all until people called him on it. But obviously that's impossible to know.

It's offensive, no way around it. Like John Delaney singing Republican songs, it's inappropriate behaviour for a public figure (or a private one either). Not sure what's worse with these tweets - the tweets themselves or those claiming it's only banter and citing the PC excuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ah Mario.

I don't think it's racist but it's in poor taste at best. You've thousands of people looking at what you put up on the internet. Maybe think twice before putting stuff like this up.

I'd rather he be in the headlines for scoring goals not this ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fine him and move on. I'm already bored at the thought of the press coverage this will get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Is there a chance Mario could be banned for games or just fined?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ah Mario.

I don't think it's racist but it's in poor taste at best. You've thousands of people looking at what you put up on the internet. Maybe think twice before putting stuff like this up.

I'd rather he be in the headlines for scoring goals not this ****e.

Public figures on twitter...it's such a bad idea for anyone who doesn't really consider what they're putting out into the world. They should really just stop and think "would this be ok if i shouted it out in a public place right now", and if it's not, don't tweet it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Public figures on twitter...it's such a bad idea for anyone who doesn't really consider what they're putting out into the world. They should really just stop and think "would this be ok if i shouted it out in a public place right now", and if it's not, don't tweet it.

If I shouted out my tweets in a public place I'd be arrested. Or worse. But no one pays any attention to me so it's grand. Mario should've known better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've said it more times than i care to recall - no footballer should be allowed a twitter account, make it part of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

To put that out on Twitter at anytime is a bad move, but to do it in the light of recent stuff with Dave Whelan and the Malkay McKay appointment is just plain daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm just home from work and too to tired respond to this character assassination but your card is marked. Oh yes.

Another thing yourself and Johnson have in common. Him as a footballer and you as a ageing lothario such as yourself. :p

Regards the Balotelli thingy, I'm just glad someone bought a WiiU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I thought it was really funny tbh, i dont think he ment to cause offense, people need to lighten up abit, lifes too short

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I thought it was really funny tbh, i dont think he ment to cause offense, people need to lighten up abit, lifes too short

Hate this bloody attitude, really do. The lad's an idiot and this was an idiotic thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

mosstin wrote: »
    Hate this bloody attitude, really do. The lad's an idiot and this was an idiotic thing to do.

And i hate yours, its a bloody joke get over it ffs, all i can say is thank god balo isnt white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Steven Gerrard offered place on Liverpool coaching staff as part of new contract.
    Liverpool are prepared to give Steven Gerrard a place on the club’s coaching staff once he ends his playing career as they fight to keep their captain beyond this season.
    Gerrard received an offer to extend his contract two weeks ago and is considering whether to stay with his boyhood team. There is no possibility that he would sign for another English club, but a move abroad is conceivable. His current deliberations have nothing to do with the salary offer and are solely about how much of a contribution he will make on the field over the next two years.
    It is a dilemma for the Liverpool captain, who would have anticipated the contract offer arriving much sooner, and he must decide if he can readjust to the possibility of spending more time as a substitute at Anfield when foreign clubs will guarantee him a starting place. He is free to discuss a move with overseas clubs from Jan 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/steven-gerrard/11266906/Steven-Gerrard-offered-place-on-Liverpool-coaching-staff-as-part-of-new-contract.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Finical wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks guys!

The Big Tree ?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    And i hate yours, its a bloody joke get over it ffs, all i can say is thank god balo isnt white

It's the casual acceptance of it all which bothers me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

delw wrote: »
    Is there a chance Mario could be banned for games or just fined?

Difficult to say. Rio Ferdinant got a fine, Suaraz got 10 games. Terry got 4. It could be anythign from a slap on the wrist to a suspension for rest of the year.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Difficult to say. Rio Ferdinant got a fine, Suaraz got 10 games. Terry got 4. It could be anythign from a slap on the wrist to a suspension for rest of the year.

To be fair, it's probably the least of those issues - they were all cases of racism directed at someone in particular.

I'd be surprised if he got more than a fine to be honest. The club should punish him as well with a few weeks wages or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mario B adds a little colour to the sterile world of football - hate racism , but the powers that be need to loosen up - should hip hop music be banned ?

The FA will get all high and mighty and ban him , and if not the BBC will be up in arms, as if he went on a neo nazi march - people need to lighten up , and tackle more serious issues in the world than a mere inappropriate tweet - somehow i seriously doubt Mario is racist , just a plain old football on a barren run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Augmerson wrote: »
    Citytillidie should setup the thread, he was our good luck charm against Stoke.

I dunno about that this season I am at a 50% win rate

Liverpool 0 V 1 Aston Villa
    Liverpool 2 V 1 WBA
    Newcastle 1 V 0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1 V 0 Stoke

Overall I am
    Liverpool 4 V 1 Norwich
    Liverpool 1 v 0 Ipswich
    Liverpool 1 V 0 Spurs
    Liverpool 2 V 1 Reading
    Liverpool 4 V 0 Stoke
    Liverpool 1 V 2 Arsenal
    Newcastle 2 V 2 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0 V 1 Aston Villa
    Liverpool 2 V 1 WBA
    Newcastle 1 V 0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1 V 0 Stoke

PL 11 W 7 D 1 L 3 F18 A9 Win percentage of 63.64%

And to come
    Liverpool V Arsenal
    Liverpool V Spurs
    Liverpool V Burnley

And any home FA Cup games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Last four have all been wins, so on a good run. was even there for 2 Downing goals!

Blah I can beat that I seen Harry Kewell and Javier Mascherano score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Blah I can beat that I seen Harry Kewell and Javier Mascherano score

I saw BalotellI score! :P

Is Ballotellis mother actually Jewish?

That bit actually passed me by yesterday.

Should he just pick up a fine I'd ban him anyway for being sheeeeeeeeet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

That joke has been around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wouldn't think there was any malice on balotelli part just naivety.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

That joke has been around for years.
    Are you talking about Ballotelli himself or his latest tweet/instagram :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Another week another tedious race row in the premiership to distract from how sh1te the league has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

8-10 wrote: »
    I saw BalotellI score! :P

I saw that too. And Lovern... But I also saw Carragher score (for us)! Oh, and against us too. I even saw Ngog, Voronin and Gonzalez score... :)

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mario Balotelli - Official

I apologize if I’ve offended anyone. The post was meant to be anti-racist with humour. I now understand that out of context may have the opposite effect. Not all Mexicans have moustache, not all black people jump high and not all Jewish people love money. I used a cartoon done by someone else because it has Super Mario and I thought it was funny and not offensive. Again, I’m sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ah man, more rubbish with Balotelli just deflecting from the real issues.

Fine him a weeks wages and just move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Its ridiculous that he even has to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

brevity wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that he even has to say that.

You mean you should never have to apologise for using racial stereotypes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement