Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

I can see where Lloyd is coming from and tbh if we weren't beaten so easily by Madrid at home a few weeks ago I might have some hope even if it was tiny.

Personally I think they are the best team in Europe and there's a huge gap between us, massive.

However I'd like to see us at least put up a decent fight and press hard for 90 mins. This is the CL after all and we still have a great chance of qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers says its highly unlikely Sturridge will be in the match squad tonight but does that mean he could feature against Chelsea? Chelsea don't look as tight as last season I really think we could cause an upset on Saturday or at the least get a point if he does feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I really dont understand why we dont bring back Steve Clark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cant imagine rodgers bringing back his predocessors right hand man would ever happen, step backwards anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What I don't understand is the best managers in the world want to bring in the best players in the world and when you have the best players in the world you bring in the best coaches to train those players.

Thats what I see from the best managers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Houllier beat the likes of Roma / Barca; won a European trophy and got within a few minutes of the CL Semi
    Benitez beat everyone and has us top of the European tree

From 2000 through 2010 we were a competitive, feared side in Europe. That's a full decade in the recent past.

Crucially, under both Houllier and Benitez there was never the lack of belief and cripplingly low European expectations that Rodgers seems to have instilled in the players and fans. :mad:

I would argue the standards of the giants in Europe is a lot higher to back then. Real and Bayern are in a different league to everyone else in Europe currently. I mean compare the team we had in 09 to now and then compare the Real team in 09 we tonked 5-0 to there current team.

We were top of the tree because we had the players a spine of Reina, Carragher, Agger, Mascherano, Alsonso, Torres and Gerrard was world class.

We went into decline at the end of Rafa's term and then further into decline under Roy/Kenny. We have a lot of rebuilding to do to our European rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

ardinn wrote: »
    I really dont understand why we dont bring back Steve Clark!

Because he likely doesn't want a job as a coach again..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I can see where Lloyd is coming from and tbh if we weren't beaten so easily by Madrid at home a few weeks ago I might have some hope even if it was tiny.

Personally I think they are the best team in Europe and there's a huge gap between us, massive.

However I'd like to see us at least put up a decent fight and press hard for 90 mins. This is the CL after all and we still have a great chance of qualifying

Agree with most of this - seems pointless getting excited about qualifying if we're basically putting out a B side against one of the best teams on the planet.

Wouldn't be at all confident about us taking 6 points from the remaining games either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Agree with most of this - seems pointless getting excited about qualifying if we're basically putting out a B side against one of the best teams on the planet.

Wouldn't be at all confident about us taking 6 points from the remaining games either

Sometime you have to hedge you bets. I would take a hammering tonight if it meant gettign a draw/win against Chelsea on Sunday.

We were alway going to get beat by Madrid twice and it was going to be about bettering the other two.

I have every confidence we can beat basel at home with sturridge back.
    It will (hopefully) come down to the last game which will be extrememly difficult to beat that team away from home. We can do it. you never know maybe a draw will be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Sometime you have to hedge you bets. I would take a hammering tonight if it meant gettign a draw/win against Chelsea on Sunday.

We were alway going to get beat by Madrid twice and it was going to be about bettering the other two.

I have every confidence we can beat basel at home with sturridge back.
    It will (hopefully) come down to the last game which will be extrememly difficult to beat that team away from home. We can do it. you never know maybe a draw will be enough
    Why not do soemthing crazy & play our best team for both games :P. There is 4 days between the Real & the Chelsea game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Crucially, under both Houllier and Benitez there was never the lack of belief and cripplingly low European expectations that Rodgers seems to have instilled in the players and fans. :mad:

Do you ever actually read and look and what you wrote.

We're after nearly winning a Premier League title and we get this crap.

It's our first season back and Rafa and Houllier had poor seasons in Europe too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is Chelsea this weekend?

Oh sweet Jesus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is Chelsea this weekend?

Oh sweet Jesus....
    It's at Anfield so if we don't lose by more than 2 goals it will be seen as an improvement on last season! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Talisman wrote: »
    It's at Anfield so if we don't lose by more than 2 goals it will be seen as an improvement on last season! :)

Mourinho will do his usual thing and win the game 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is Chelsea this weekend?

Oh sweet Jesus....

Gerrard looking for redemption for the slip last season and trying too hard which will effect the rest of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »
    Do you ever actually read and look and what you wrote.

We're after nearly winning a Premier League title and we get this crap.

It's our first season back and Rafa and Houllier had poor seasons in Europe too.

How many 3 - 0 defeats at home (or defeats by three goals) did we suffer in Europe under Houllier and Benitez?

How many 3 - 0 defeats at home (or defeats by three goals) did we suffer in Europe under Houllier and Benitez?

Got beaten by Celtic 2-0 in the UEFA Cup in 2003 and that's deffo worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The same Celtic team who got to the Final and only lost to the Champions League winners of the following season led by, arguably, the best manager in the world? :confused:

Ok.....

kfallon wrote: »
    The same Celtic team who got to the Final and only lost to the Champions League winners of the following season led by, arguably, the best manager in the world? :confused:

Ok.....

Ah right...its Celtic FFS, don't care who they lost to. Leicester beat Man Utd, if Liverpool lose at home to them its still a very poor result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Does the quality of the opposition come into consideration? Is a 3-0 home defeat to Real Madrid worse than a 2-0 home defeat to Celtic?

LL is just pissing about, Real Madrid in 2014 are twice the team of 2008/9 and a bit more.

Ah right...its Celtic FFS, don't care who they lost to. Leicester beat Man Utd, if Liverpool lose at home to them its still a very poor result.

That Celtic team were very decent with one of the best centre forwards of his time in it! They beat a lot of top teams in Europe during that period.

You're just another of these "Oh it's Scottish football, they must be crap" people!

Strong contributions as always.

We all know the answer - the defeat to Real a couple of weeks ago was totally unprecedented and unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

kfallon wrote: »

Ok.....

As opposed to a Madrid team who are current European champions (something that "arguably the best manager in the world" failed to achieve with them) , possibly the best team on the planet at the moment and can field several players in the £70million+ bracket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Someone I follow on twitter suggested that we look at getting in someone like Rene Meulenstein as coach/back room staff...even though he's been with Utd, it could be an option. (they might need to skit around this though http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29859691)

I feel at some point Rodgers is going to need to get in some experience...learning by his mistakes is too risky imo.

• Advertisement

You didn't answer my question I notice, both of them crashed and burned in Europe, we haven't even yet under Rodgers!

I don't know, Barca hammered us one time under Houllier IIRC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Strong contributions as always.

We all know the answer - the defeat to Real a couple of weeks ago was totally unprecedented and unacceptable.

Barca did give us a football lesson all right. That's ok sometimes too.

You didn't answer my question I notice, both of them crashed and burned in Europe, we haven't even yet under Rodgers!

I don't know, Barca hammered us one time under Houllier IIRC.

:confused:

When?

I didn't answer your 'question' because it was actually an insult. I'm classy like that.

tritium wrote: »
    As opposed to a Madrid team who are current European champions (something that "arguably the best manager in the world" failed to achieve with them) , possibly the best team on the planet at the moment and can field several players in the £70million+ bracket?

I don't care about the Madrid team, what's that got to do with anything?? What I take umbrage at is the fact he decided to demean Celtic by saying losing to them in 2003 was unacceptable. Celtic weren't Ragball Rovers at the time, they were a very good team who gave anyone in Europe a game for a couple of years and reached a UEFA Cup Final.

I don't care about this "Who has the biggest flute, Rodgers, Rafa or Houllier" argument, it's the usual football snobbery that got to me, "Oh Celtic are muck, Scottish football is terrible, losing to them was a disgrace" when it was as clear as day they were a very good side at that time.

Which was the worst result doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Lost at Anfield 1-3 to Barcelona in 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

brevity wrote: »
    Someone I follow on twitter suggested that we look at getting in someone like Rene Meulenstein as coach/back room staff...even though he's been with Utd, it could be an option. (they might need to skit around this though http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29859691)

I feel at some point Rodgers is going to need to get in some experience...learning by his mistakes is too risky imo.

He had a go at Rodgers in the papers last week. I don't think he'll be joining the coaching staff any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

They're in the Champions League in the Bernabeau really needing to get something out of it results wise. This is Liverpool. I EXPECT them to rise to the occasion, and turn in a performance befitting of the jersey and the legacy of the club.

Getting embarrassed is unacceptable.

It's a romantic notion and all that, but you're not dealing in reality, the 'This Is Liverpool' talk is a bit cringe too, we're taking baby steps to try and become competitive in Europe again after 5 years out of it, whereas Madrid are an all conquering , galactico riddled beast of a team (European champions), you are posting all season saying how inept we are so I'm not sure why you now EXPECT us to go to Madrid and compete, more than likely we'll get beaten badly, that's not accepting mediocrity just merely accepting we are miles behind Madrid.

Also why so hyperbolic with it's unacceptable to be embarrassed? what does that even mean, what will you do if we get tonked? I think you'll just have to accept it.

Brendão wrote: »
    Lost at Anfield 1-3 to Barcelona in 2001.

That's wrong? We won the UEFA Cup in 2001, beating Barca 1-0 over two legs in the semi.

EDIT: you mean the 2001 second group stage, from which we recovered and qualified - including a point in the Nou Camp

And we scored first that game and didn't lose by two goals...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That's wrong? We won the UEFA Cup in 2001, beating Barca 1-0 over two legs in the semi.

The following season, in the champions league. Same year.

We did get our arses handed to us by Barca before tho at Anfield, was Van Gaal manager, Overmars scored in a 3-1 win!

Maybe 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Real Madrid were an absolute shambles during Rafa's era. Comparison's between that team and today's are spurious to say the least.

Real Madrid were an absolute shambles during Rafa's era. Comparison's between that team and today's are spurious to say the least.

It's not Real specifically though, to focus on them is what's spurious imo. That great Milan team won three CLs in five years. We ****ing competed with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He had a go at Rodgers in the papers last week. I don't think he'll be joining the coaching staff any time soon.

Probably not but Rodgers needs to get in experience both on the pitch and in the backroom if we are to start making progress.

Liverpool U19s v Real Madrid

Fulton, Whelan, Maguire, Cleary, Brewitt, Rossiter, Brannagan, Wilson, Sinclair, Kent, O’Hanlon

Subs: Firth, Canos, Ojo, Marsh, Dhanda, Alexander, Kane

should be about 6 goals in this I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

can we not put those lads out tonight !

• Advertisement

It's not Real specifically though, to focus on them is what's spurious imo. That great Milan team won three CLs in five years. We ****ing competed with them.

And there were times we were terrible.

We wont be competing with Real, Bayern or Barca this year, who'd have thunk that?

:confused:

When?

I didn't answer your 'question' because it was actually an insult. I'm classy like that.

I'm sorry if when you post nonsense it gets called as such.
    Crucially, under both Houllier and Benitez there was never the lack of belief and cripplingly low European expectations that Rodgers seems to have instilled in the players and fans.

Under Rafa there was in that last season, same with Houllier, they were given time though, something which you aren't giving Rodgers. There's no logical reason not to back him given what he's achieved at the club in his 2 seasons here, therefor it's just your initial misgivings about his lack of competence for the job that is coming through.

Basically, you said you got it wrong towards the end of last season. Now first sign of trouble you've the daggers out again. My suspicion is it was a mealy mouthed and begrudging apology. Not that I care that much, the meltdowns over unrealistic expectations are entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Lloyd is going a bit OTT but I get why he is very annoyed tbh. If the team for tonight is as expected weakened & basically expecting defeat it is very disapointing mindset. We know Real are a great team but Man Utd drew with Bayern last year at home. Its a one off game & we should be playing our best team & be determined to try & make amends for the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Whats the best result in the other game tonight for us ? a draw ?

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Whats the best result in the other game tonight for us ? a draw ?

Liverpool will need to beat both to qualify regardless of results tonight.

All three are on 3 points, Liverpool are third on g/d.

1. Real Madrid 3 3 0 0 10:2 9

2. Ludogorets 3 1 0 2 3:4 3

3. Liverpool 3 1 0 2 2:5 3

4. Basel 3 1 0 2 2:6 3

I'm sorry if when you post nonsense it gets called as such.

Under Rafa there was in that last season, same with Houllier, they were given time though, something which you aren't giving Rodgers. There's no logical reason not to back him given what he's achieved at the club in his 2 seasons here, therefor it's just your initial misgivings about his lack of competence for the job that is coming through.

Basically, you said you got it wrong towards the end of last season. Now first sign of trouble you've the daggers out again. My suspicion is it was a mealy mouthed and begrudging apology. Not that I care that much, the meltdowns over unrealistic expectations are entertaining.

In Rafa's last season we were minutes in extra time from a European final.

With regards to the last bit, everything that was so good about us last season has been absent thus far this season. It's like the first half of 2012 / 13 all over again. Wouldn't you agree? It's concerning, it needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Liverpool will need to beat both to qualify regardless of results tonight.

Not neccessarily, the way things work out there's a possibility we could go through on 7 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there's been realistic, and then there's being masochistic.

i don't expect to win, but I expect to compete.

unfortunately, that team screams to me that Rodgers is open to taking a humbling.

i sincerely hope I'm proved wrong tonight through the performance.

SlickRic wrote: »
    there's been realistic, and then there's being masochistic.

i don't expect to win, but I expect to compete.

unfortunately, that team screams to me that Rodgers is open to taking a humbling.

i sincerely hope I'm proved wrong tonight through the performance.

That's basically what I'm saying.

You'd swear we were a midtable club who had won the FA Cup to get in or something the way some people are going on. We shipped the first three goal defeat in Europe since the Evans era in our last game!! And that's okay? Baffling.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Not neccessarily, the way things work out there's a possibility we could go through on 7 points.

The concern is that Real play a reserve knockabout side against Ludogorets on the final night, luckily the game is in the Berniebow so the home crowd will demand a good show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement