Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The Mirror this morning are reporting that Chelsea may loan out Salah in January to Everton, QPR, Stoke or Sunderland :rolleyes:

Could have been such a different story for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

ush wrote: »
    You mean you should never have to apologise for using racial stereotypes?

Ffs.

It's quite clearly a joke about how stupid being racist is and it dosent matter what you are, all you have to do is just be sound and not a gowl.

It's the subtext that's important.

He should have posted a picture of him saying soz bbz inside a KFC while shopping for watermelons. That would have ****ed with people's head. Do they get angry at a stereotype he appears to be mocking, or is he just eating and shopping.

Don't take things literally, that's were satire about society will fly over your head and you will be confused as to why you should be offended, then get more offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

"Not all Mexicans have moustache, not all black people jump high and not all Jewish people love money."

Anyone with half a brain would understand this. While he should not have put himself in this position, it is so depressing that he has to come out and make the above statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

While the joke may have been mildly offensive, I think it should be obvious to anyone with a bit of sense he saw the words " Mario, black and Jewish" ( his adoptive mother is the daughter of a holocaust survivor )and thought it would be a ironic post considering all the racist abuse he's got over the years.

But twitter wont let that get in the way of looking to be offended and claim " that's Mario, fcking up as usual"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

How is it being a joke relevant? You either bring the game into disrepute by using racial stereotypes; or you don't bring the game into disrepute by not using racial stereotypes. Easy enough to avoid.

It's the subtext that's important.

Maybe the lesson is, it's hard to convey subtext in a tweet. And it's probably very hard for a footballer, not known for their incisive analysis as a group.

He is at least guilty of being very stupid and not thinking through the consequences of his tweets. He should get a fine anyway, maybe a course in the use of social media (many footballers would benefit). The fact that he came out pretty quickly and apologised is to his credit, it wasn't months of denial and insisting everyone else was wrong like the Suarez case.

It was a joke get over yourself... F***ing PC sh*te is really really gone to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

It was a joke get over yourself... ****ing PC sh*te really really gone to hell.

Its mad Ted, I cant believe the reaction this is getting. I have received that picture numerous times from people who havent a racist bone in their body, its a bloody joke, get over it.

Think the people who are saying its "PC sh*te" need to get over themselves. You don't have a right to say what you want, just because you expressed it as a joke. I understand that may take some getting over.

• Advertisement

Maybe the lesson is, it's hard to convey subtext in a tweet. And it's probably very hard for a footballer, not known for their incisive analysis as a group.

He is at least guilty of being very stupid and not thinking through the consequences of his tweets. He should get a fine anyway, maybe a course in the use of social media (many footballers would benefit). The fact that he came out pretty quickly and apologised is to his credit, it wasn't months of denial and insisting everyone else was wrong like the Suarez case.

Is it not incredibly ignorant to think footballers are stupid?

You literally just stereotyped footballers into a group, while getting offended bout stereotypes of another group.

Fortunately for you, there is no subtext to yours, you did it literally.

I could say Dublin people as a group are gowls. Or people with long hair are losers as a group.

Or Liverpool players as a group are ****e. It's incredibly ignorant and makes you look like you have a lack of education when you critique footballers for the same thing.

Everyone who works in macdonalds is stupid.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This is orders of magnitude different from the Suarez or Terry cases. He'll get a fine from the FA and then move on, although they seem to be giving out bigger punishments for even he more innocuous ones like this (Ferdinand's 4 match one for example, although he had previous for being stupid in a tweet) so he might get a game or two suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Finical wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Fairly new to Dublin. Just wondering does anyone have any pubs I could catch the game on tomorrow. Fairly sure it's on BTsport. If a pub in Drumcondra shows the games that would be great. Otherwise I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks guys!

Cat and Cage & The Ivy House will have it on. Im sure Fagans will as well, although they serve a lot of food so you may not get the sound on full

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

xabi wrote: »
    Its mad Ted, I cant believe the reaction this is getting. I have received that picture numerous times from people who havent a racist bone in their body, its a bloody joke, get over it.

Yup, it's a Meme.

If you frequent Videogame Forums, you'd know it's a Joke.

You literally just stereotyped footballers into a group, while getting offended bout stereotypes of another group.

Do you actually think the sterotyping that characterises people by reference to their colour, race, religion etc. is one and the same as that which characterises people by their careers? So saying that IT workers are boring is the same as making a patently racist comment? I'd suggest that the latter is "incredibly ignorant".

Yup, it's a Meme.

If you frequent Videogame Forums, you'd know it's a Joke.

Video games are for nerds and spotty fat men pretending to be girls in their mothers basement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wait, what happened?

Stereotyping is bad. Racial stereotyping has led to some of the worse behaviour in our history. This case of stereotyping a well paid group of professionals doesn't come close.

FA has a blanket ban on comments which include "a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race". Easy enough to avoid. It has to be employed heavy handedly to avoid the it-was-just-a-joke crowd.

Do you actually think the sterotyping that characterises people by reference to their colour, race, religion etc. is one and the same as that which characterises people by their careers? So saying that IT workers are boring is the same as making a patently racist comment? I'd suggest that the latter is "incredibly ignorant".

How is it different?

You still think less of someone for what/who they are, then make an assumption without knowing that person.

Saying an it person is boring is the same as saying a Jew loves money. It's the same idea. Just one is more socially acceptable.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    This is orders of magnitude different from the Suarez or Terry cases. He'll get a fine from the FA and then move on, although they seem to be giving out bigger punishments for even he more innocuous ones like this (Ferdinand's 4 match one for example, although he had previous for being stupid in a tweet) so he might get a game or two suspension.

Honestly think LFC should just get rid. Where's the upside to the fella?

Video games are for nerds and spotty fat men pretending to be girls in their mothers basement.

Kinda Ironic isn't it?

How is it different?

For a start it wasn't racial, ethnic or religious. It also wasn't kicking downwards on any social hierarchy.

Kinda Ironic isn't it?

Sorry, I take things literally. No idea what your saying

How is it different?

You still think less of someone for what/who they are, then make an assumption without knowing that person.

Saying an it person is boring is the same as saying a Jew loves money. It's the same idea. Just one is more socially acceptable.

My word!

You don't understand the historical and cultural reasons why racism or sectarianism may be different from other forms of stereotyping?

Are you annoyed with laws, criminal laws, laws of the FA etc. that sanction racism and not other stereotyping on your basis that "sure they're all the exact same"? You should send a very strongly worded letter to the men behind the IT Crowd, that Moss character will infuriate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

My word!

You don't understand the historical and cultural reasons why racism or sectarianism may be different from other forms of stereotyping?

Are you annoyed with laws, criminal laws, laws of the FA etc. that sanction racism and not other stereotyping on your basis that "sure they're all the exact same"? You should send a very strongly worded letter to the men behind the IT Crowd, that Moss character will infuriate you.
    Thats the funny thing about it. The media get away with racial/religious stereotyping all the time.
    Plenty of movies tv shows where black people are portrayed as angry, jewish people as greedy, etc. Choose your stereotype and there is probably a show taking the mick out of it without all this outrage

• Advertisement

Think the people who are saying its "PC sh*te" need to get over themselves. You don't have a right to say what you want, just because you expressed it as a joke. I understand that may take some getting over.

Maybe its time people relaxed a bit and stopped getting so bothered over jokes. The way things are going you wont be able to say anything with out being accused of something or other by the PC brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How is it different?

Ah here ffs. How is saying IT people are boring the same as Jews love money. IT people being 'boring' didn't get them sent to the concentration camps and gas chambers, did it?

Look, Mario didn't intend any offence here. In fact the opposite, he was clearly hitting out at racism in his own way. But the cartoon was stupid to post for someone in his position and in the current Dave Whelan climate. If he gets fined, it's his own fault.

Maybe its time people relaxed a bit and stopped getting so bothered over jokes. The way things are going you wont be able to say anything with out being accused of something or other by the PC brigade.

Forget PC. Its just basic decency. Don't use racial stereotypes and think you can hide behind a joke. Its cowardly. Mario didn't mean it that way; but there's enough Jeremy Clarkson's out there, who think they're being heroes by laughing at people less privileged than them.

Forget PC. Its just basic decency. Don't use racial stereotypes and think you can hide behind a joke. Its cowardly. Mario didn't mean it that way; but there's enough Jeremy Clarkson's out there, who think they're being heroes by laughing at people less privileged than them.

Better stop saying the Irish like a drink or Cavan people are tight so and other common saying/jokes about people from different country's etc.

Better stop saying the Irish like a drink so and other common jokes about people from different country's etc.

Yeah we should. Maybe its time to grow past that.

• Advertisement

Yeah we should. Maybe its time to grow past that.

No we shouldn't its a bit of craic! Some people are as dry as...., oh I better stop I might offend you.

SATIRE

What footballers don't seen to get is Twitter, Instragram etc are the same as them giving interviews. Don't say on Twitter what you wouldn't say in an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Anyhoo...

How are people feeling about tonight's game? It says a lot about our season when we're hoping for 2 wins in a row. You gotta assume that Lambert will start again, hopefully Lucas will too in the 'DM' role and hopefully we can get a good result and slowly but surely start turning this season around a little, before it gets completely depressing...

J.

I just hope Gerrard isn't Starting. That's it.

BR can Accommodate him anyway he wants, as long as the Game is already in the Bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Id like to see lallana get a game playing off the striker, not a fan of him stuck out left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I think there's a risk to starting the exact same team as Saturday as it'll be the 3rd game in 7 days for a few players who've not had a lot of games so tired legs could make the pressing which worked well in the 2nd half on Saturday less effective.
    Time for Brendan to work out how to rotate some players without changing the fundamentals of the team i.e. a DM who actually protects the back 4, tracking runners and helping a defender out by doubling up to win the ball back.
    Winning the ball back quicker and even 10 yards further up the field gave us more impetuous on Saturday to press Stoke and at least fashion half chances.

Wonder will Borini get a game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

garra wrote: »

Isn't that the kid who some photographer went crazy on here about somebody posting his photo like a year or two ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

brevity wrote: »

4503358732_985356a4ab.jpg

• Advertisement

Would be good to see the squad being put to use, his energy could be vital for us tonight. Unless there is some problem with him, it would be madness to leave him out again - I hope BR agrees.

klose wrote: »
    Isn't that the kid who some photographer went crazy on here about somebody posting his photo like a year or two ago?

Dont remember that episode, are you saying this photographer had a fit because someone else posted a photo of a child prodigy footballer on internet? On what grounds??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Would like to see Lallana too, and unless Rodgers suddenly decides to play 2 strikers, I'd imagine Lambert will start as he's actually scoring goals, which means no game for Borini. But who knows really, he might decide to mix things up a bit, but probably only a little bit, as his quotes seem to suggest that the team are finally finding a bit of shape...

J.

Dont remember that episode, are you saying this photographer had a fit because someone else posted a photo of a child prodigy footballer on internet? On what grounds??

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056702988/

Have a read :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lambert & Gerrard can't pay together as there is a lack of pace. Its one or the other & you would have to go with Lambert atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's class.

The thread is 2 years old and I am liking posts right now.

The reconstruction picture is an amazing reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Jesus lads would ya's not atleast use JaMarcus Hustle's image and save everyone some trouble

9CMd4.jpg

Edir: Agent Coulson I'm liking posts too. Great thread

What a brilliant thread. How did I miss that the first time around! :D

Thanks for that, ye cant beat a short entertaining thread like that.

I think I played football with that photographer a couple of times - he's a brave fella when snapping criminals around the courts. I recall he got a black eye from Andy Carroll a few years ago, Carroll was locked and split a kebab on a white suit and yer man got some great shots, then took a good shot for his troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any chance Martin can give him a cap against Poland so we don't have to go through the whole Jack Grealish will he won't he thing when he turns 18.

Let's lock him in right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement