Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brevity wrote: »

Jaysis, I can't believe Francie posted a link to the rag! Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

5starpool wrote: »
    Jaysis, I can't believe Francie posted a link to the rag! Down with that sort of thing.

He wouldn't have got away with it in the LFC super thread;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ush wrote: »
    Yeah we should. Maybe its time to grow past that.

Should they rename the movie "White Men Can't Jump" while we are at it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Dickerty wrote: »
    Should they rename the movie "White Men Can't Jump" while we are at it? :rolleyes:

Whats your point? Values change over time. That film is 20 years old at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Yep, but it's a "truth", and not a harmful one.

To say that that joke is antisematic, as had been suggested, is NONSENSE.
    It pokes fun at a widely held belief about Jewish people and money. It's does not show "prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination of" Jewish people.

It's just a stereotype. Like Blondes being dumb or Irish being drunks.
    But it seems you cannot use the work Jew in a sentance without being an antisemite.

• Advertisement

But it seems you cannot use the work Jew in a sentance without being an antisemite.

We've moved on to the paranoia. Sure the Jews control Twitter and the FA!

It's easy to use the word "Jews" in a sentence without being anti-Semitic.

It's being over analysed. It was stupid. He has accepted it and apologised, he can expect a fine, maybe a short ban, but let's not make him out to be the victim here.

I think we should just talk about football imo or else we run the risk of having our clean thread title ruined by "modnote read pot 1 & 4755" and that makes me sad when it happens. Surely worthy of a thread of it's own perhaps at this point?

Yep, but it's a "truth", and not a harmful one.

Its not a "truth". Whatever about renaming a film, but I doubt a film would be called that today. Or even that the film would be made.
    To say that that joke is antisematic, as had been suggested, is NONSENSE.
    It pokes fun at a widely held belief about Jewish people and money. It's does not show "prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination of" Jewish people.

It's just a stereotype. Like Blondes being dumb or Irish being drunks.

That joke was anti-semitic. Stereotypes are prejudicial. Sorry, but they are. Thats where your logic fails. The joke casually accepts racial stereotypes. The butt of the joke relies on "a widely held belief about Jewish people and money". It misses the target.

Mario meant well, as he often does. But got it wrong. The Americans could be forgiven for wanting to get rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

So, white men can jump now?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think the 4-4-2 could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

B3yydgoCQAAJ_0T.jpg

I don't even see what's wrong with it.

All he's saying is that dark skinned people are phenomenal athletes, and that the Jews are an ambitious, success-driven folk.

He should be given a pay rise and the captaincy if anything.

martyos121 wrote: »
    B3yydgoCQAAJ_0T.jpg

I don't even see what's wrong with it.

Well he does, as he took it down and apologised and said he could see how it would be offensive. And that's the important thing. It doesn't have to be explained to everyone who now rows in with "I don't see what was even wrong..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope he starts the same back 5 and DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well he does, as he took it down and apologised and said he could see how it would be offensive. And that's the important thing. It doesn't have to be explained to everyone who now rows in with "I don't see what was even wrong..."

If you read the rest of my post, you'd realise I was joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sorry, I take things literally. No idea what your saying

5live wrote: »
    So, white men can jump now?:pac:

Maybe more people now would question equating skin colour with sporting ability. People may even question the idea that black athletes have natural ability and are mouthy, while white athletes have to train harder to overcome a lack of physical acumen. Same racist logic you see in the Rocky films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Got an Amazon delivery today and in it was a leaflet for a free audiobook with a trial membership of audible.

The free book was....The Chimp Paradox by Dr Steve :D.

www.audible.co.uk/chimp2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lot of hard Js being thrown about in here, I don't appreciate that.

http://vimeo.com/53620113 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I trust all the paragons of virtue on here reprimanded their friends for their casual racism when they were sent that meme when it first made the rounds.

I trust all the paragons of virtue on here reprimanded their friends for their casual racism when they were sent that meme when it first made the rounds.

First they came with dodgy memes, and I did not speak out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why would they. They're friends aren't at Liverpool where the could be fined or banned from some games.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why would they. They're friends aren't at Liverpool where the could be fined or banned from some games.

The assumption that I got friends was where he went wrong.

What's the story with chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

rarnes1 wrote: »

Plug into TV, connect via Internet and chrome plugin on laptop and then stream to TV. At least I think that's how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's kind of a stupid meme in the way it's developed over time anyway - the first 3/4's of it was from the original meme, then the bit in purple was added in well after the fact. The purple bit is opposite in tone from the initial four lines. Most of it is neutral at worst, but the Jewish part is at odds with the rest, being an actively negative stereotype.

Anyway, whatever anyone's personal opinion on it, I trust that everyone could agree it was a silly thing for someone whose every move is scrutinized to put up.

On another note, I have a good feeling about today.

We're going to lose, aren't we :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

You can do a few bits with it, say your watching a YT video on your tablet/phone, you can press a button and the video comes on on your TV via the WiFi in the house, or you can use a few other apps with it on the tv and a few Dodgier ones that we can't discuss on here....

I would SHOW you only I would get a BOX in the head from a mod... ;)

Fieldog wrote: »
    You can do a few bits with it, say your watching a YT video on your tablet/phone, you can press a button and the video comes on on your TV via the WiFi in the house, or you can use a few other apps with it on the tv and a few Dodgier ones that we can't discuss on here....

I would SHOW you only I would get a BOX in the head from a mod... ;)

Cool, just arrived in the post so shall investigate myself.

Would I be right in saying it's basically a poor mans smart TV! ie, it does the same job essentially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

there would be far bigger controversy had say, suarez or any other white famous person posted that ,funny how things work ..not that i found it anyway racist .. just the world we tip toe in these days

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Hope Borini gets a chance tonight. Lambert starting four games in ten days probably wouldn't be the best decision.

edit - nevermind.
    Mignolet, Manquillo, Johnson, Toure, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Lambert

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That's kind of a stupid meme in the way it's developed over time anyway - the first 3/4's of it was from the original meme, then the bit in purple was added in well after the fact. The purple bit is opposite in tone from the initial four lines. Most of it is neutral at worst, but the Jewish part is at odds with the rest, being an actively negative stereotype.

Anyway, whatever anyone's personal opinion on it, I trust that everyone could agree it was a silly thing for someone whose every move is scrutinized to put up.

On another note, I have a good feeling about today.

We're going to lose, aren't we :-/

The last bit is a bit out of whack with the rest of it.

Just like your post. :D Liverpool will win tonight. We've turned a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers just seems to point blank not rate Moreno.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

no striker on the bench again ffs

Good to see Lucas in there. Rodgers acknowledging what he brings to the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good to see Lucas in there. Rodgers acknowledging what he brings to the team

And, just as importantly, acknowledging what Gerrard doesn't bring to the team.

Would love to see us get a first half two goal lead and get to bring on Can and Markovic for 20+ minutes. I know that's asking a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

So I'm assuming Gerrard plays the No. 10 Role again?

• Advertisement

Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Toure, Skrtel, Johnson,
    Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Sterling, Lambert, Lallana.

Subs: Brad Jones, Lovren, Coutinho, Moreno, Can, Allen, Markovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Depressing team.

Lambert or bust. Toure's little burst of form won't last, there is madness in there waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not sure about having Gerrard & Lambert. Leicester are a high energy team & they we could struggle to create & get caught on the break.

What's the plan if Lambert gets injured? Sterling up top I assume?

I don't really care about the selection. But then again I'm drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Allen was very good at the wknd can't believe he's not starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Utterly depressing line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Apart from not having Borini on the bench (with 50% of our strikers injured it really shows that Rodgers just doesn't rate him that he's not even a sub), I'm happy enough with that team.

Players like Toure, Lucas and Lambert are being picked on form, and that's good. You'd imagine that Gerrard might get subbed later on if he's tired, though he's been tired in a game before and played the full 90.

Anyhow, keeping my fingers crossed. A win tonight, especially one based on a decent performance, and I'll start thinking that maybe, just maybe, we're turning a corner...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I can understand dropping Couthino for either Lallana or Gerrard, but with Lucas and Allen we at least had a solid base on Saturday so why change this. I hate seeing Henderson playing deep, keep him ahead of the two deep midfielders and leave him press players. Defensive positioning is the worst part of his game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sterling up against Paul Konchesky tonight, should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Allen was very good at the wknd can't believe he's not starting.

It's called squad rotation. Not unusual to rotate when the team played 3 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Gerrard shouldnt be starting tonight imo. Lucas and allen should be our two deeper midfielders, its been effective lately. I dont think lucas and gerrard playing deep together will work well, it never has before.

Also, not having borini on the bench is ridiculous. Lambert is our only striker involved tonight. Borini should be on the bench ahead of markovic imo.

Its insane how slow our team is this year compared to last years blistering pace. Toure, lucas, gerrad, lambert, johnson all slow as ****. Im expecting a dull game tonight, if gerrard plays further forward we could get a result but i dont expect it to be a pretty game. If gerrard plays deep i fear we could be over ran. I would feel a lot better with allen or can in beside lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Konchesky hattrick.

djPSB wrote: »
    It's called squad rotation. Not unusual to rotate when the team played 3 days ago.

Exactly. We have an incredible amount of games the next while so best to utilise the squad properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Guess who gets motm;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement