Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did Gerrard say in an interview that he had nothing to sign (in reference to a contract)? I didn't see the post match stuff but saw something on twitter about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

klose wrote: »
    Was strange seeing gerrard running onto through balls again, its been a while since hes been doing that.

I barely stopped myself shouting at him constantly that there was nobody at DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He said nothing to talk about, ie. no resolution.

Can we please try & buy Cech in Jan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I just cant get excited about this squad whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Mr Alan wrote: »

Can we please try & but Cech in Jan?

Yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

5starpool wrote: »
    Did Gerrard say in an interview that he had nothing to sign (in reference to a contract)? I didn't see the post match stuff but saw something on twitter about it.

He said nothing to Say yet on contract and didnt want to give a story that would distract anything from a good liverpool win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/539906103552016386

I know Borini isn't a world beater but it seems strange for Rodgers to freeze out a player that he bought and spoke so highly off.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5starpool wrote: »

Charlie19 wrote: »
    He said nothing to Say yet on contract and didnt want to give a story that would distract anything from a good liverpool win.

Stupid Andy Heaton.
    He said 'say' oh sound. Sorry, my bad, watching and listening on half volume trying pay attention in a meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Toure & Lucas need to be the first names on the team sheet every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Toure & Lucas need to be the first names on the team sheet every game.

Grim. True, but grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

brevity wrote: »

I know Borini isn't a world beater but it seems strange for Rodgers to freeze out a player that he bought and spoke so highly off.

Yup Lambert is our only fit striker and Borini still sits it out? Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It's odd that Tourés season was effectively curtailed for his brainfart against West Brom last season when Mignolet and Johnson have been consistently poor, to put it mildly, over the intervening period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The Mig wrote: »

Piece of piss that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I suggested a while ago that i felt the best way to solve our defensive ****ness was to focus on the man in front of the back four and the man behind the back four rather than the back four itself. It would appear half of that problem has been solved, and is giving us a double bonus as gerrard offers a goal threat that very few of our other attackers do. Im very happy to see him being used further up the field, and im delighted for lucas. Mignolet has to be replaced in jan, no two ways about it. He is nowhere near good enough. Cech would be a dream signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mav79 wrote: »

Liverpool this season in all comps with Lucas: WWLWWLWDWW (7W, 1D, 2L) Without: LWLDLWLDLLL (2W, 2D, 7L)

Wow - Very solid stats to back up his inclusion in the side. His pressing and doggedness should not have been so essential against a limited side tonight, but he was our MOTM in my opinion.

Sterling had a fantastic game and took so much pressure off our defence by retaining possession, winning free-kicks. He looked physically drained in 2nd half but kept going - his attitude should be an exemplar for his team mates.

Moreno seemed out of sorts but I like the cut of his gib and I'm confident he will learn from his mistakes and by next season will look more comforrtable in the team.

Lallana had the wind knocked out of him and didn't recover from that incident, but his finish alone shows what he brings to the team. Himself and Coutinho are very similar players and there won't be many games when we can accommodate both of them, would prefer Lalla in away games.

Whats the craic with Borini?

As a team we still dont seem co-ordinated without the ball, Leicester found it so easy to work the ball in to their front men even with a man down. If not for the sending off I think we'd have drawn that game so lets count our blessings and move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

If they don't it could be a lot worse than 7th or 8th. Sadly with the squad thats there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mosstin wrote: »
    Rarely lasted beyond 70 mins at Soton either. Not sure what his issue is.

It may all goes back to his childhood illness - ulcerative colitis for two years and an irregular heartbeat.

Lambert is also doing what he was bought for 4 games 2 goals and 2 assits for a 3rd-4th choice striker when called upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If they don't it could be a lot worse than 7th or 8th. Sadly with the squad thats there.

No way this squad finishes below 8th. I'd be shocked if it finished below 5th. I think Lambert's form in the last few games tells us that any half decent forward can nab us points.
    Sturridge will be back and will offer us more in behind the opposition, which should see us rake in points.
    Need to buy a striker in Jan though.

Lallana coming off at the 70 minute mark or earlier isn't a problem imo, bring on Coutinho, that's the reason we have invested heavily in a squad, best to use it.

Lucas in front of the back four is a vast improvement on Gerrard and as others have mentioned Steven much better further forward, the free role he had tonight suits him, Henderson suffers but it isn't forever and in the absence of Sturridge Gerrard's quality up front is needed, he can seem to do nothing of note for much of the game but he will no doubt score and assist when played further forward. He might even attract some man marking at times which creates space, he is still an incredible footballer so would be well able for attention that far up the pitch I feel.

Sterling would benefit from Borini being on the pitch but I'd sooner start Lambert than Borini, Borini not on bench is puzzling but Rodgers must really see Borini bringing little to the table.

Not a memorable match but 3 points away to relegation type teams on a winter Tuesday...... ole cliche etc etc :D

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    No way this squad finishes below 8th. I'd be shocked if it finished below 5th. I think Lambert's form in the last few games tells us that any half decent forward can nab us points.
    Sturridge will be back and will offer us more in behind the opposition, which should see us rake in points.
    Need to buy a striker in Jan though.

Yup its actually painful having to rely on lambert for 90 minutes, he just doesn't have the legs for it.

Judging how previous windows have went I still cant see us buying anyone in January, which is a shame as I think an experienced goal scorer could be the difference in us getting back into the top four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looks like Rodgers is being stubborn and more concerned about sending Borini and message than doing what's best for the team. He wanted rid of him in the summer now he's basically saying "You have no future here" and pushing him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looks like Rodgers is being stubborn and more concerned about sending Borini and message than doing what's best for the team. He wanted rid of him in the summer now he's basically saying "You have no future here" and pushing him out.

He's not good enough if I'm honest so isn't any huge loss. Lambert as shown alot more.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about Sturridge saving our season....saying he's made of glass is a bit of an insult to glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We can try. Seriously doubt it will lead to anything.

Charlie19 wrote: »

Judging how previous windows have went I still cant see us buying anyone in January, which is a shame as I think an experienced goal scorer could be the difference in us getting back into the top four.

Borini out and Johnson's future wages (2/3 years worth) would allow for £10+ for a striker in January.

I still think Balotelli will chip in with some goals :D

Bad behavior imo.
    rob316 wrote: »
    He's not good enough if I'm honest so isn't any huge loss. Lambert as shown alot more.

He should at least be on the bench. We had no strikers on the bench tonight. None. After all the money we spent this Summer,that's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lambert has also shown he can't last 90 minutes though. No excuse not to have him on the bench. Tonight was like a mirror performance of Saturday, couldn't keep the ball at all when we went 2-1. No pressure from Lambert up top. At times we were getting battered by a 10 man Leicester team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

B34pm4BCYAApFAF.png

Reina doesn't give a fuk amymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:eek: Neville Southall would be proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    B34pm4BCYAApFAF.png

Christ he looks like charlie adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

It may all goes back to his childhood illness - ulcerative colitis for two years and an irregular heartbeat.

Didnt know that one.! Think his fitness issues will mean he will never really live up to his price but still a nice player to have.
    Ive seen/heard a few times joe allen is a vegan apparently, the more you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

klose wrote: »
    Didnt know that one.! Think his fitness issues will mean he will never really live up to his price but still a nice player to have.
    Ive seen/heard a few times joe allen is a vegan apparently, the more you know.
    Probably explains why he is very weak. Need to feed him more protein. :p

MD1990 wrote: »
    B34pm4BCYAApFAF.png

Christ. I wouldn't want to be that bit of ground he's about to land on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I would say it has more to do with him wanting to make sure he moves in January if we can get rid so Rodgers has money available to reinvest in a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's almost comical how much better we look with Lucas at DM.

hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The more the season goes on, and the more we start doing better with last year's players mostly, the more annoying the summer spending becomes. Lallana is about the only one who looks any way comfortable in the team. £110m spent on mystery boxes is actually what was bought instead of just firing a hape money at 2 or 3 definites.

The more the season goes on, and the more we start doing better with last year's players mostly, the more annoying the summer spending becomes. Lallana is about the only one who looks any way comfortable in the team. £110m spent on mystery boxes is actually what was bought instead of just firing a hape money at 2 or 3 definites.

We did need to pad out the squad though. Chelsea were able to add the final pieces of quality because they were a year on from us this window. They had built a squad of players capable of competing on multiple fronts which they then added the final pieces. If we can somehow get things going this season, either by finding form or stumbling into the top 4 then next summer we can hopefully add those 2/3 pieces of quality to our squad to elevate the whole team. Plenty of other players we have bought will hopefully have kicked on and settled more with a year under their belt. Lovren is the only one going forward I don't think has a future at the club.

The problem is this plan all falls apart without CL football next season. It becomes a double whammy that you don't have money to buy the final pieces of quality and you also have a bloated squad which is of no need without European football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about Sturridge saving our season....saying he's made of glass is a bit of an insult to glass.

Yes, it's foolish to be relying solely on Sturridge. He will help but we need another striker. Season is a write-off without that. Cause I can't see us ever becoming hard to beat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's almost comical how much better we look with Lucas at DM.

hero.

We will be 100% ****ed if he gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I would say it has more to do with him wanting to make sure he moves in January if we can get rid so Rodgers has money available to reinvest in a striker.

We'll get feck all for Borini in January. He has already demonstrated that he's more than willing to stay unless he gets the move he wants which is back to Italy on the same or better wages than he's already on and whatever Italian club he wants to go to know all they have to do is wait us out to the last minute at which point we'll have no choice but to accept a low ball offer otherwise we'll be lumbered with him until the summer when he'll be worth even less and closer to being able to walk away on a Bosman. (When is his contract up?)

Freezing him out justifies him being stubborn and looking after #1 when it comes to moving him on.

Christ he looks like charlie adam

But would Adam be able to levitate?

You may be right but my take would be completely different to that on Borini. I think he stayed because he felt he could prove himself and force his way into this team rather than wage issues or wanting a move back to Italy. I still think a few clubs will be willing to pay a decent wedge for him. At a certain level of club he's top shelf talent that they could attract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

If borini gets on the bench then markovic probably doesn't as a result, doesn't look good having your 20million quid signing sitting in the stands. Lazar has had a tough start but think he is in better need of games than fabio. Fair play to him for sticking around all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think borini turned down sunderland and qpr because he wanted to stay and fight for his place at liverpool. He backed himself to be able to make an impact for a team in the cl instead of playing in a relegation battle. I dont buy this **** that he screwed the club over by refusing to leave, we spunked 120m, an extra 14m wasnt gonna make any material difference to our spending capabilities that summer. I admire his determination and ambition, i think hes getting a raw deal from rodgers at the moment, and a lot of unwarranted hate from liverpool fans.

Fair enough if rodgers said he wouldnt get much game time here and he thought it would be best for him to leave, and borini chose to stay knowing he wouldnt see a lot of game time, then he cant complain too much at not playing. But when it transpires that were reduced to rickie lambert and no one else as our striking options for the busiest month of the year and borini cant even get a place on the bench it stinks of stubbornness or politics on the managers behalf. And it is all the more infuriating when borini has showed more desire and effort than half our regular starters this season who seemingly cant put a foot wrong.

I dont want to lay into rodgers, especially off the back of a good win, but leaving lambert on for 90 minutes tonight was idiotic, as it was against ludogorets, and unfortunately i didnt get to see the stoke game, but id imagine it was equally idiotic then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

If you'd said 12 months ago that Rickie Lambert was going to join Liverpool, never mind lead the attack in one of the most crucial phases of the season, you'd have been laughed out of it. Pretty remarkable how we've left ourselves like this.
    I don't particularly rate Borini either but I find it mystifying that he can't get a place on the bench to replace a clearly tiring Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    If you'd said 12 months ago that Rickie Lambert was going to join Liverpool, never mind lead the attack in one of the most crucial phases of the season, you'd have been laughed out of it. Pretty remarkable how we've left ourselves like this.
    I don't particularly rate Borini either but I find it mystifying that he can't get a place on the bench to replace a clearly tiring Lambert.

The bolded bit I don't think would have been the case at all - he's a good buy, particularly before we bought a similar style of player in Balotelli. He's a great extra option to have, if you already have Suarez and Sturridge. Without Suarez, he's still a great option, we should just have one more nimble, fast option ahead of him in the pecking order.

As for the tiring Lambert part, totally agree. I think today Markovic should have been on for the last 10 or so for Lambert. Pace against a tired defense, and the ideal "out ball" to be able to use. He showed enough against Real in his last game to warrent getting a little more time imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ok Brendan you've dropped Lovern and reinstated Lucas. Now all you need to do is replace Mingolet and Johnson and substitute Lambert after 70 minutes in a game.

I'm delighted with Lucas' displays in the last two games. He will be a massive player for us this season.

I think a front three of Lambert, Gerrard and Sterling could be a profitable threesome for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement