Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's almost comical how much better we look with Lucas at DM.

hero.

2 hard fought wins against stoke and Leicester. Let's wait till we play a team that's at least half decent.
    Stoke had a few chances that could have meant another defeat, it wasn't down to having lucas there that a shot hit the post instead of going in.

A couple of games against top 8 sides and people may well be back to proclaiming lucas finished again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

We did need to pad out the squad though. Chelsea were able to add the final pieces of quality because they were a year on from us this window. They had built a squad of players capable of competing on multiple fronts which they then added the final pieces. If we can somehow get things going this season, either by finding form or stumbling into the top 4 then next summer we can hopefully add those 2/3 pieces of quality to our squad to elevate the whole team. Plenty of other players we have bought will hopefully have kicked on and settled more with a year under their belt. Lovren is the only one going forward I don't think has a future at the club.

The problem is this plan all falls apart without CL football next season. It becomes a double whammy that you don't have money to buy the final pieces of quality and you also have a bloated squad which is of no need without European football.

Liverpool just one window behind Chelsea? I'm sorry but you're pulling the piss with that one. Even with everyone fit I don't think a single Liverpool player would make the Chelsea team on current form. Maybe sterling if he got the form of last season back but certainly not now.

Liverpool are light years behind Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will take not pretty and grinding out wins like the last two while Brendan Rodgers tries to work out how to get us playing with a bit of style.

I can't see FSG giving him much money if any in Janaury.

They must look and wonder where the £200m they have spent on player in the last couple of seasons has improved the team as a whole.

If they told Rodgers no you can't have money I wouldn't be happy as I want players in but I would understand.

But we really need a DM, RB & a Striker. and after spending £120 only a couple of months ago that is both sad and scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I will take not pretty and grinding out wins like the last two while Brendan Rodgers tries to work out how to get us playing with a bit of style.

I can't see FSG giving him much money if any in Janaury.

They must look and wonder where the £200m they have spent on player in the last couple of seasons has improved the team as a whole.

If they told Rodgers no you can't have money I wouldn't be happy as I want players in but I would understand.

But we really need a DM, RB & a Striker. and after spending £120 only a couple of months ago that is both sad and scary.

Johnson, Flanno and Manquillo are enough for right back for now.
    We need a striker.
    We won't be buying a dm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Johnson, Flanno and Manquillo are enough for right back for now.
    We need a striker.
    We won't be buying a dm.

One may leave in Janaury.

One has no return date from injury and no way of knowing what his form will be like on return.

One is in over his head at this level at the moment.

I know we won't be buying a DM and for the manager not to want one is so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is that Lucas cleaning house infront of the back four? And Gerrard up the pitch supporting the front man and causing problems? :)

I think when he's retired Gerrard might just wonder why he spent so much of his career angling to play as a traditional Center Mid. While he was good last season and played well as an all action box to box type during 2002 - 2006, I think his very best football has come in that role.

Rodgers finally changed a couple of things. I think we're shaky and there are huge questions coming ever more into focus with regards to the summer's transfer details but this is as close to 'momentum' as we've experienced in a while. Must beat Basle and hope that FSG make money available in January (though I'd hardly blame them if they didn't).

To be clear, I want Rodgers to win his way out of the hole he's (mostly) dug for himself. If he could recover this back to top four (either this or next season) he might be here a long time. That's what we all want - consistent and predictable contention at the the top table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Looks like Rodgers is being stubborn and more concerned about sending Borini and message than doing what's best for the team. He wanted rid of him in the summer now he's basically saying "You have no future here" and pushing him out.

Borini is rubbish. Was a pity he wouldn't accept the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Borini isnt good enough I think most people would agree with that but his treatment and this attitude of "pity he wouldn't feck off" is nothing short of disgraceful. YNYA indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

brevity wrote: »
    Borini isnt good enough I think most people would agree with that but his treatment and this attitude of "pity he wouldn't feck off" is nothing short of disgraceful. YNYA indeed.

He's deserving of a chance given the options we have.

The attitude towards him is even funnier when it's preempted by support for a player who isn't good enough for the team either but is getting praised for having what I assume was a rare good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Liverpool this season in all comps

With Lucas: WWLWWLWDWW (7W, 1D, 2L)
    Without: LWLDLWLDLLL (2W, 2D, 7L)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool this season in all comps

With Lucas: WWLWWLWDWW (7W, 1D, 2L)
    Without: LWLDLWLDLLL (2W, 2D, 7L)

Lucas key to our season again? Wow that guy is swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

You would have to wonder how in losing away at Newcastle & at home to Chelsea Lallana was an unused substitute. Couldn't understand it at the time but seems more baffling now. He's been a positive for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

But who is good enough?

Mario? The lad us beyond useless - he is actually a liability.

He should have played about three or four more games than he has this season easily and we would arguably be all the more better off as a result.

noodler wrote: »
    But who is good enough?

He should have played about three or four more games than he has this season easily and we would arguably be all the more better off as a result.

Tbh none of them are setting the world on fire. That tends to happen when you play them in a system that doesn't suit them.

Borini came to the club when he was relatively young, worked hard and went out on loan and did quite well. Now he is back and because he wouldn't **** off he is ostracised.

I mean any young player looking at Borini and seeing what happened can't be feeling great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

noodler wrote: »
    But who is good enough?

If we’d managed to flog Borini for the reported £14m to Sunderland and not buy Balotelli we’d have a handy £30m sitting in a January Transfer Window Mini-War Chest without having any effect whatsoever on the season to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tbh none of them are setting the world on fire. That tends to happen when you play them in a system that doesn't suit them.

Borini came to the club when he was relatively young, worked hard and went out on loan and did quite well. Now he is back and because he wouldn't **** off he is ostracised.

I mean any young player looking at Borini and seeing what happened can't be feeling great.

Jones
    Moreno
    Lovren
    Allen
    Can
    Coutinho
    Markovic

The only player who could be argued borini can get ahead of is markovic and that's only because he's had a tough start. Markovic has a future at the club. Borini clearly does not. I love borinis commitment and attitude but I wouldn't lose sleep over him not getting on the bench at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Borini is rubbish. Was a pity he wouldn't accept the move.

Rubbish or not, he's still a better option than no striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

3 shots on target, 3 goals #clinical

rob316 wrote: »
    3 shots on target, 3 goals #clinical

3 english goal scorers too, the queen slept well last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Augmerson wrote: »
    We will be 100% ****ed if he gets injured.

Can or Allen can fill in at DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Delighted for Gerrard. That might keep his detractors quiet for a while. Madness to think there's people who want the likes of Markovic to start of ahead of him, others dont even see a place for him in the matchday squad !!
    He can still spot a pass like no-one else we have.
    Oh and can we plase drop Mignolet. If Brad Jones cannot get into team at this rate sell him as well. No point having him there paying his wages if you're not going to play him when your keeper continually f*cks up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like we may be getting an upgrade on Mignolet:
    It looks like Brendan Rodgers has run out of patience with Simon Mignolet as the goalkeeper's form fails to improve.

According to The Metro, Liverpool are already scouting possible replacements for the Belgian, with Fiorentina stopper Neto at the top of the list.

'Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Fiorentina goalkeeper Neto after offering him a giant salary worth £125,000-a-week,' report the Metro.

'Neto's contract expires at the end of the season and he looks destined to leave Fiorentina, having already rejected the offer of an extension.'

klose wrote: »
    Jones
    Moreno
    Lovren
    Allen
    Can
    Coutinho
    Markovic

The only player who could be argued borini can get ahead of is markovic and that's only because he's had a tough start. Markovic has a future at the club. Borini clearly does not. I love borinis commitment and attitude but I wouldn't lose sleep over him not getting on the bench at the moment.

I just find it amazing given the options are Balotelli or Lambert (and not even Balloteli atm), we are stuggling for goals and form, that two or three of the new defenders seem suspect, Coutino is as inconsistent as ever, and Gerrard is failing to make his historical impact regularly, Markovich hasn't even been deemed worthy of another EPL start by the man who paid £20m for him etc etc that we can throw away our only focal point with a modium of pace, work rate, and with a proven PL season behind him (such as it was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Was nice to get a win but let's not get over the fact it was Leicester. Mignolet not covering himself in glory either again. Apparently their is a page on Facebook now called Indecisive Mignolet, I've got sent links by 2 mates, can see it catching on like Boring Milner, horrible as he is a good goalkeeper I think but you gotta laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Vicxas wrote: »
    Looks like we may be getting an upgrade on Mignolet:

The Metro.. if anything that confirms a long stay for Mignolet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have seen a bit of Neto, he looks a great shot-stopper but I would have question marks over him on set pieces.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Was nice to get a win but let's not get over the fact it was Leicester. Mignolet not covering himself in glory either again. Apparently their is a page on Facebook now called Indecisive Mignolet, I've got sent links by 2 mates, can see it catching on like Boring Milner, horrible as he is a good goalkeeper I think but you gotta laugh.

We went to equally as bad a team in Crystal Palace 2 weeks ago and got beaten 3-1, games like last night are a huge improvement. Besides these away games again relegation candidates are never straight forward, they have nothing to loose and will dig deep best they can. You saw it when they went to 10 last night, might as well go for it they said.

Have seen a bit of Neto, he looks a great shot-stopper but I would have question marks over him on set pieces.

Ya I'd concur from what I have seen too. He's very young 24 I think? We need an experienced head back there IMO. Seriously they need to go all out for Cech if he is interested, he would be a tremendous addition to our defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Agreed. Every time Leicester got behind Lucas and within 25 yards of Mignolet, my arse quivered, along with every Liverpool defender it seemed. We were saved for the fact that Leicester were having pot shots from any angle they could. Any other team would have been more clinical

What's with Skrtel not being able to clear the ball now. If he didn't find the feet of a Leicester attacker, the ball was going straight up in the air and down again?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sounds familiar.

Kevin trapps contract is out in the summer, hes 24 and another one of the long list of quality german goalkeepers. Think he would be a great pick up myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What is happening with Borini reminds me of that quote someone put up recently from Agger. Agger was talking about Rodgers saying he would ask the manager was everything alright, was there anything more he could do to make his way into the team. And all the time Rodgers was saying yeah you're grand you are in my plans but it was the furthest thing from the truth.

Of course a manager isn't going to turn around to a player and say fob off mate, that would be bad management, but it is slightly misleading. I imagine Borini is being told the same thing. I don't know though if what happened with Agger is the same as what's happening with Borini. I imagine if Agger was always fit he would still be at the club although he was getting a bad habit of letting bigger players maul him away in contests.

If he is going to let Borini go and all indications are yes, at least put him in the shop window. What will happen is the transfer window will open and it'll be at the last hour that he'll go for less than 5m sterling or something. Rodgers will then be pissed he didn't go sooner obviously but he has probably been telling him the whole time that he is doing great work and to keep it up.

I think if every other strike got injured and Borini was left, Rodgers would stick Gerrard up front at this stage.

Need a decent goal keeping coach while we are at it. No point getting a new keeper if they are going to be told the exact same thing as Mingolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Would have real doubts about bringing in a goalkeeper who might not speak English or struggle to command the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Shout out for Lambert. He was very good last night, although still a round peg in a square hole. His hold up play has helped us to get out of defensive positions.
    He was the cause of the first goal, as Morgan's header only made it about 2 yards to Lallana.
    And then he caused Morgan's sending off with his strength and pressure.

There are more attributes to attack than just pace, he is showing that. Sticking with him is paying off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I'd say Liverpool could get Begovic for less thank 125k a week. He's a proven PL shot stopper, excellent at set pieces and a good organiser.

Also, Cech will be available soon although he might prefer a move to Italy/France rather than staying in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Lucas key to our season again? Wow that guy is swings and roundabouts.

He seems to be back to playing his normal role, giving away fouls and cleaning up balls in front of the back 4. It's what we need right now, cause Stevie just can't do that job.

Glad that Rodgers has realised you are better off with a lesser player in the right position...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Need a decent goal keeping coach while we are at it. No point getting a new keeper if they are going to be told the exact same thing as Mingolet.

I don't think making a mess coming for corners and miss-kicking balls are part of the coaching programme.

klose wrote: »
    Kevin trapps contract is out in the summer, hes 24 and another one of the long list of quality german goalkeepers. Think he would be a great pick up myself.

This is a signing I wholly support.
    Can you imagine the headlines:
    'Liverpool's new goalie is fast out of the Trapps'
    'Chelsea couldn't find the key to Liverpool's trappdoor at the back'
    ''Utd fall into the Trapp, that Rodgers made'
    'Liverpool Trapp the light fantastic with a win over Arsenal'
    'Kevin Trapp and Liverpool snare City with a well placed ambush'
    'Rodgers: "We need to talk about Kevin."'
    'Liverpool's defence join the Von Trapp family'
    What is happening with Borini reminds me of that quote someone put up recently from Agger. Agger was talking about Rodgers saying he would ask the manager was everything alright, was there anything more he could do to make his way into the team. And all the time Rodgers was saying yeah you're grand you are in my plans but it was the furthest thing from the truth.

Of course a manager isn't going to turn around to a player and say fob off mate, that would be bad management, but it is slightly misleading. I imagine Borini is being told the same thing. I don't know though if what happened with Agger is the same as what's happening with Borini. I imagine if Agger was always fit he would still be at the club although he was getting a bad habit of letting bigger players maul him away in contests.

If he is going to let Borini go and all indications are yes, at least put him in the shop window. What will happen is the transfer window will open and it'll be at the last hour that he'll go for less than 5m sterling or something. Rodgers will then be pissed he didn't go sooner obviously but he has probably been telling him the whole time that he is doing great work and to keep it up.

I think if every other strike got injured and Borini was left, Rodgers would stick Gerrard up front at this stage.

I think it was made pretty, pretty clear to Fabs that he wasn't wanted. Still poor management by Rodgers, what if we were up by 3 at half time (I know delusional but...), he could have rested Lambert and brought on Fabio.

He could have been very useful last night when Leicseter were pushing for a goal. Hassling their defenders and providing some movement and maybe staying on-side also.

Why wasn't Coutinho brought on for Lallllalana?

• Advertisement

Coach: Simon, when you get the ball. I want you t kick it to the wings and if possible straight out of play. Also be as dodgy as feck with the ball at your feet. And above all, keep this maxim to your heart - never, EVER, leave your line. Also ignore what your centre backs say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I remember that story. Did Agger need it spelled out for him in fridge magnets? He'd been close to being sold before. He's a senior professional. He should know how these things work. There's responsibility on him to see developments.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This is a signing I wholly support.
    Can you imagine the headlines:
    'Liverpool's new goalie is fast out of the Trapps'
    'Chelsea couldn't find the key to Liverpool's trappdoor at the back'
    ''Utd fall into the Trapp, that Rodgers made'
    'Liverpool Trapp the light fantastic with a win over Arsenal'
    'Kevin Trapp and Liverpool snare City with a well placed ambush'
    'Liverpool's defence join the Von Trapp family'

Don't give up the day job dude.

ush wrote: »
    I remember that story. Did Agger need it spelled out for him in fridge magnets? He'd been close to being sold before. He's a senior professional. He should know how these things work. There's responsibility on him to see developments.

Could have gotten nearly 20m sterling or something when Citeh and Barca were interested. Ha. Then he goes to Denmark for peanuts.

giphy.gif

Packet of m&m's for anyone who gets the reference.

With Basle game approaching Gerrard might well be rested at the weekend. As Lallana is being subbed off when required and Lambert is playing 90 mins presumably the fitness & medical folk etc reckon Lambert playing 90 mins is ok.

Seems strange though as for the last 15 mins or so attacking without Lambert and with an extra advanced midfielder would be no harm, especially when Liverpool are a goal up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

giphy.gif

Packet of m&m's for anyone who gets the reference.

Ah come on, at this time of year and all...too easy.

Ah come on, at this time of year and all...too easy.

Ah you got me.

giphy.gif

It's Beetlejuice :pac:

Daaaaaaay Oh!

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I'd say Liverpool could get Begovic for less thank 125k a week. He's a proven PL shot stopper, excellent at set pieces and a good organiser.

Also, Cech will be available soon although he might prefer a move to Italy/France rather than staying in England.

I'd sincerly hope we'd get him for 125K per week!

Thats a Neuer-like wage level!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement