Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/540433154071617536

Eeek.

Wonder what really happened? I initially thought it was a problem with agents fees but, considering what's come out recently, it looks as though we have no problems paying agents fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

brevity wrote: »
    Wonder what really happened?

He failed the medical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

ush wrote: »
    He failed the medical.

This.

Previous teams have taken the risk. Chelsea can take the risk because they're loaded and if they are in a bad way Roman will just spunk up the cash so they can buy another striker. We aren't in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

We've a long list of sick notes that passed medicals with the club...Remy has played quite a few games with Newcastle and QPR and doesn't appear to have suffered.

Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there, the whole thing just seems off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

T-K-O wrote: »
    Personally I love it. We cannot play any worse yet we are still close to the top 4. Our main rivals are not playing that much better than us by any stretch of the imagination. Everton, Spurs are worse, Utd & Arsenal marginally better.

Then you have West Ham, Southampton et all, these teams will fall away just like every other year.

Utd and Arsenal are the two main obstacles for top 4.
    Imo they're playing more than marginally better than Liverpool.
    Both have 2 positives that Liverpool lack right now, pace about the pitch and a player a cut above the norm. Sanchez and Rooney/some games Di Maria. This type of player can pull a struggling side along. Right now Liverpool don't have that player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augmerson wrote: »
    This.

Previous teams have taken the risk. Chelsea can take the risk because they're loaded and if they are in a bad way Roman will just spunk up the cash so they can buy another striker. We aren't in that position.

Hah.

No insetad we take risks on 20 year olds and troublemakers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stadium work starts on Monday! :)

8xn7s5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/540433154071617536

Eeek.

Wonder what really happened? I initially thought it was a problem with agents fees but, considering what's come out recently, it looks as though we have no problems paying agents fees.
    Remy is in a team that is just humming along incredibly. Drop him into our team, and he's be struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Whats the knock on effect going to be for the stadium capacity?

• Advertisement

jasonb wrote: »

we're still outsiders for the top 4...

Indeed, 4/1 ish
    Personally I love it. ............

The underdog mentality no doubt suits, coming strong from behind, ohhhhhhhhhh arrrrrrrrrr matron

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Whats the knock on effect going to be for the stadium capacity?

13K by the beginning of the 2016-17 season according to the Echo article.
    A decent increase in match day revenues, couple that with regular CL and things will be looking good financially.
    The club has come on leaps and bounds in many ways in the recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Augeo wrote: »
    A decent increase in match day revenues, couple that with regular CL and things will be looking good financially.

Sorry, meant whats the knock on effect in a negative way whilst its being built. We gonna be reduced to about 35,000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Utd and Arsenal are the two main obstacles for top 4.
    Imo they're playing more than marginally better than Liverpool.
    Both have 2 positives that Liverpool lack right now, pace about the pitch and a player a cut above the norm. Sanchez and Rooney/some games Di Maria. This type of player can pull a struggling side along. Right now Liverpool don't have that player

Potentially, we could have that player in a few weeks.

From the games I have seen, Utd / Arsenal are struggling and this is backed up by friends who are fans of those clubs.

IF we can sort ourselves out CL is very much a possibility.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Sorry, meant whats the knock on effect in a negative way whilst its being built. We gonna be reduced to about 35,000?

Apologies, negligable I'd imagine, there are two banks of May, June & July in the period to the start of the 2015/2016 season, you'd like to think those two 3 month windows over a planned 20 month project would be the periods where the current capacity would be effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This.

Chelseas business model has changed over the last few years, but thats besides the point.

£10m couldn't be "risked" on Remy.........but £20m could be on Markovic, 16 on Balotelli etc

Doesn't really add up, considering the outlay over the summer, a 10 million figure for Remy doesn't seem like a big risk at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

kryogen wrote: »
    Chelseas business model has changed over the last few years, but thats besides the point.

£10m couldn't be "risked" on Remy.........but £20m could be on Markovic, 16 on Balotelli etc

Doesn't really add up, considering the outlay over the summer, a 10 million figure for Remy doesn't seem like a big risk at all.

The main reason ive seen, and obviously there could be a few feasons, is that something was up with his heart and he has failed medicals before. Now obviously the lad is quite happy to play on despite this apparent problem but i imagine after what happened with the club and doni 2 years ago put them off taking the risk. Doni had cardiac arrest in a pre season medical by all accounts. Once bitten, twice shy.

Doni is alive and well btw but had to retire after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Markovic and Baloteeli haven't failed medicals so not sure how you say it doesn't add up. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Potentially, we could have that player in a few weeks.

From the games I have seen, Utd / Arsenal are struggling and this is backed up by friends who are fans of those clubs.

IF we can sort ourselves out CL is very much a possibility.

The scope for Arsenal and United to sort themselves out is far more than that of Liverpool. Hamming on about Sturridge all season when Falcao, Rafael, Shaw and now Di Maria spending time on the sidelines amongst many squad players for United and Ozil, Koscielny, Giroud, Walcott and Debuchy missing for Arsenal amongst others is a bit clutching at straws. Arsenal have now sorted out their defense purely from getting Koscielny back and I hate to think how their attack could flourish with Ozil back in the fold feeding Sanchez. United's attack is getting a bit better and the defence has been solid for over a month now. Sturridge could make a big difference but enough to counteract the improvement of these 2 teams? I don't think so. Then there's still Southampton who could easily turn over United at home on Monday.

It is all to play for but I think Liverpool have both played the worst by far out of all these teams and have the least scope for improvement as the personnel currently stands.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Apologies, negligable I'd imagine, there are two banks of May, June & July in the period to the start of the 2015/2016 season, you'd like to think those two 3 month windows over a planned 20 month project would be the periods where the current capacity would be effected.

No reduction in capacity at any stage is planned during construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Wildred Bony.

Discuss

Markovic and Baloteeli haven't failed medicals so not sure how you say it doesn't add up. :confused:

Yeah weird comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Wildred Bony.

Discuss

Wilfrieds lesser known younger brother, not the finished product but has great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

NukaCola wrote: »
    Wilfrieds lesser known younger brother, not the finished product but has great potential.

What mother would call their sons the same name only adding and I .

I bet her favorite is Wilfred without the i

Bony scores goals. Whats not to like?

To be perfectly honest when we were linked to him I had some foolish hope that we were in for a top quality striker and I was turning up my nose to the link. Never thought he would fit into our great system BR had once upon a time.

He'd be an instant upgrade in terms of productivity and output on what we have.

Remy failed a medical.
    Markovic and Balotelli passed their medicals.

It add's up.

What mother would call their sons the same name only adding and I .

I bet her favorite is Wilfred without the i

Her favourite is Wilifred his little sister :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The best way for us to get cl for nxt year is to get knocked out of it against basel , and win the uefa cup..... sorted!!

Remy failed a medical.
    Markovic and Balotelli passed their medicals.

It add's up.

But Remy passed his medical at Chelsea. Whatever risk he had was deemed not serious enough to stop that transfer. Someone said thats a risk Chelsea can take but we couldn't.

So the poster is saying the risk of buying Remy failing a medical is less than a risk of signing Balottelli/Markovic.

Personally I would like to think its more of a money issue and is not quite so simple. Liverpool found an issue with the players heart (allegedly) and after getting a second opinion did not think he could play for Liverpool with that condition.

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The best way for us to get cl for nxt year is to get knocked out of it against basel , and win the uefa cup..... sorted!!

Nah, lets just win the CL instead. Sorted! :P

Liam O wrote: »
    The scope for Arsenal and United to sort themselves out is far more than that of Liverpool. Hamming on about Sturridge all season when Falcao, Rafael, Shaw and now Di Maria spending time on the sidelines amongst many squad players for United and Ozil, Koscielny, Giroud, Walcott and Debuchy missing for Arsenal amongst others is a bit clutching at straws. Arsenal have now sorted out their defense purely from getting Koscielny back and I hate to think how their attack could flourish with Ozil back in the fold feeding Sanchez. United's attack is getting a bit better and the defence has been solid for over a month now. Sturridge could make a big difference but enough to counteract the improvement of these 2 teams? I don't think so. Then there's still Southampton who could easily turn over United at home on Monday.

It is all to play for but I think Liverpool have both played the worst by far out of all these teams and have the least scope for improvement as the personnel currently stands.

Falcao is the only player utd are missing. Now, that is a perfect example of how Utd can fail or blow us out of the water. Utd need as many players as we do if not more!! They have the money but who's to say they won't end up with a Lovern?

The missing Arsenal players are as hit and miss as our own. Arseanl have simliar problems to ourselves and none of the so called missing players will solve that problem. Arsenal have far too many miss firing 'play makers' and not enough steal.

IMO The 3 point gap is not too far from the truth. Take Sanchez out of this Arsenal team and that 3 point gap disappears. Add Sturridge in from the start and we're level. That was the point in mentioning Sturridge... small margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This.

Good job we went for the sure thing instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

13K (58,000 total) if they do both the Main Stand & Anfield Road end. Only the Main Stand is being done now, bringing capacity up to 53,500. No timescale yet on the Anfield Road section.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11272581/Liverpool-to-announce-start-of-Anfield-redevelopment.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think we have to move away from relying on Sturridge.

I am not syaing cutting him loose or anything like that - just that it would seem prudent to make other goalscoring arrangements rather than rely on him being fit for long spells.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

But Remy passed his medical at Chelsea. Whatever risk he had was deemed not serious enough to stop that transfer. Someone said thats a risk Chelsea can take but we couldn't.

So the poster is saying the risk of buying Remy failing a medical is less than a risk of signing Balottelli/Markovic.

Personally I would like to think its more of a money issue and is not quite so simple. Liverpool found an issue with the players heart (allegedly) and after getting a second opinion did not think he could play for Liverpool with that condition.

The real reason is obviously that he runs incorrectly (too much from his knees you see) and we can't afford to have more than 1 of those in the squad or else things will explode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

noodler wrote: »

I am not syaing cutting him loose or anything like that - just that it would seem prudent to make other goalscoring arrangements rather than rely on him being fit for long spells.

I'd be very surprised if there aren't plans to bring in another striker (along with Origi) either in January or next Summer. Sturridge is great when healthy but you just can't rely on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

noodler wrote: »

The team needs to be built around Sterling, I know that sounds mad building a team around a 19 year old but I believe he is that good and will only get better. The teams needs to cater to his strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Falcao is the only player utd are missing. Now, that is a perfect example of how Utd can fail or blow us out of the water. Utd need as many players as we do if not more!! They have the money but who's to say they won't end up with a Lovern?

The missing Arsenal players are as hit and miss as our own. Arseanl have simliar problems to ourselves and none of the so called missing players will solve that problem. Arsenal have far too many miss firing 'play makers' and not enough steal.

IMO The 3 point gap is not too far from the truth. Take Sanchez out of this Arsenal team and that 3 point gap disappears. Add Sturridge in from the start and we're level. That was the point in mentioning Sturridge... small margins.
    Put Koscielny in that Arsenal team for the last few months and that gap is 8 or 9 points imo. That's before you add Ozil and Walcott who are better than any players Liverpool have. They are missing cover in defense and a top DM from being at City or Chelsea levels squad wise.

United have been missing Evans, Jones and Rojo for large parts of the season in CB. Still the defensive record is OK taking out one freak result against Leicester. Now Carrick is back and Blind and Di Maria are gone. The injuries haven't let up. When/if they do after Christmas it'll be a different beast. Already in the last 2 games it looks better even with a late surge from Stoke the other day.

I admittedly have only seen highlights from a lot of Liverpool games this season but it looks like they are liable to make a mistake on a lot of opposition attacks. I had one eye on the second half the other day and throughout that time Leicester had plenty of chances. From what I've seen from Arsenal and United especially they control large portions of the game and have lapses in concentration. Liverpool just don't seem to have the players through the middle to do this with large gaps and poor ball retention. That's a lot more difficult to fix than the problems Arsenal and United have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

One of the issues I've had this season is that our defences of the team have been a bit deluded. Arsenal are missing a heap of influential players and are plainly a stronger squad - Sanchez is the man we needed, and we all know it - but, even disregarding them, I want to focus on United:

United have a single issue with their team: defence. It's identifiable, and while it's not necessarily easily solved, it's far less complex than our myriad issues around creativity, midfield, goal conversion and - also - defence.

I won't use a Rodgers-esque line of "it's easy to park two buses" or what have you, but it's quite simply the case that United's single big issue is far more easily resolved than our case, where we have the same issue at heart (defence) and also a whole host of others too.

I honestly think the point gap has served, for far too long, as a bit of a shield to criticism - at the start of the season some deluded themselves with "comparable fixtures", which was a dreadful metric - then it moved to "points off 4th place" - which is still quite misleading, when you consider that we're 5 points off 4th place and Arsenal aren't even inside the top 4. In my opinion, as it was the last time I posted a few weeks back, Arsenal and United are our competition for the top 4: I think Southampton will fall back slightly - they won't suddenly become crap - but they're fall back slightly, which means we have to keep pace with them, gazzump Arsenal and gain seven points over Southampton.

However, we're closing in on 40% of the season gone, and we have an absolute mountain to climb, and I just think some of this talk about us being on a par with United and Arsenal currently is way wide of the mark.

In saying all of that, it's not completely insurmountable, and I can't emphasise enough how fortunate we've been that so many other teams started with flat feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

From presser:

Rodgers: "Coutinho had a slight issue with his knee, but should be ok for Saturday. Enrique has trained and should be ok."

Rodgers: "We never had any offers for Lucas. He was always an important member of the squad. He's in a good moment and long may it continue

Rodgers on Balotelli: "He is injured at moment but he's still very much a Liverpool player. My concentration is on those fit and available"

• Advertisement

Good job we went for the sure thing instead.

Balotelli is a better player than Remy, but Balotelli doesn't suit our strengths. Remy might have been better but failed the medical. Remy has passed medicals at other clubs but either Liverpool didn't want to take the risk having been burned before or there was a contract issue/wage demands and Liverpool decided to use the failed medical as the reason to reject the signing.

All that matters now is we still are in with a good shout for top 4. We need to win games. Simple as. We can only worry about ourselves and get as many points on the board as possible.

We aren't in too bad a shape and it isn't outrageous to suggest we can play a hell of a lot better, with CL progression still in our hands and a decent chance of playing at Wembley also on the cards.

Sure, we are probably an outside bet for top 4 behind City/Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal but you would be foolish to write off LFC or any of them at this stage. Arsenal, Utd and LFC have as many question marks hanging over them as each other. Lots of games to be played.

Liam O wrote: »
    Put Koscielny in that Arsenal team for the last few months and that gap is 8 or 9 points imo. That's before you add Ozil and Walcott who are better than any players Liverpool have. They are missing cover in defense and a top DM from being at City or Chelsea levels squad wise.

United have been missing Evans, Jones and Rojo for large parts of the season in CB. Still the defensive record is OK taking out one freak result against Leicester. Now Carrick is back and Blind and Di Maria are gone. The injuries haven't let up. When/if they do after Christmas it'll be a different beast. Already in the last 2 games it looks better even with a late surge from Stoke the other day.

I admittedly have only seen highlights from a lot of Liverpool games this season but it looks like they are liable to make a mistake on a lot of opposition attacks. I had one eye on the second half the other day and throughout that time Leicester had plenty of chances. From what I've seen from Arsenal and United especially they control large portions of the game and have lapses in concentration. Liverpool just don't seem to have the players through the middle to do this with large gaps and poor ball retention. That's a lot more difficult to fix than the problems Arsenal and United have.

You're watching different Utd/Arsenal games to me.

Poor players. As it stands, We should not fear them what so ever. IF we can get our house in order we finish above that Utd team.

As for Arsenal, yes Koscielny is a loss as is Walcott but they can only play so many attacking players.

Ozil has been useless since he signed, that's akin to us going on about Lovern or Sakho coming in and shoring up our defence.

Arsenal have a better squad. No question there,however, with all their other problems they are within reach.

gafferino wrote: »
    From presser:

Rodgers: "Coutinho had a slight issue with his knee, but should be ok for Saturday. Enrique has trained and should be ok."

Rodgers: "We never had any offers for Lucas. He was always an important member of the squad. He's in a good moment and long may it continue

Rodgers on Balotelli: "He is injured at moment but he's still very much a Liverpool player. My concentration is on those fit and available"

Was he injured for the last game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You're watching different Utd/Arsenal games to me.

Poor players. As it stands, We should not fear them what so ever. IF we can get our house in order we finished above that Utd team.

As for Arsenal, yes Koscielny is a loss as is Walcott but they can only play so many attacking players.

Ozil has been useless since he signed, that's akin to us going on about Lovern or Sakho coming in and shoring up our defence.

Arsenal have a better squad. No question there,however, with all their other problems they are within reach.

A very different Liverpool finished above a very different man utd. If you can't see that then you haven't been paying attention the last 2 years.

A very different Liverpool finished above a very different man utd. If you can't see that then you haven't been paying attention the last 2 years.

So you do not think LFC can finish above Utd?

Future tense! finished was a typo

Gold star for paying attention! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Future tense! finished was a typo

Ah yeah. Just saw you changed finished to finish.

I'm not too sure. But it looks like utd are getting into form and clicking now. 4 wins out of 4, second best home record(best away record last year, so lmeans nothing)

But with rvp falcao Rooney dimaria ddg and Fellaini being a beast lately it's hard to see it. The defense has been good recently. Liverpool have an injured striker.

But the next 8-10 weeks will show a lot.

So, ill make a premature prediction and say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hard to finish above 1st with them having the league wrapped up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement