Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dented the barrel on my SXS

Options
  • 02-11-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I let the shotgun down a bit heavy on a ditch yesterday afternoon and dinged the barrel.

I didn't notice until I got home that I put a nice dent in the barrel. I'll have to get it knocked out now and I can't fire that barrel either as I might blow the f'in thing out.

Luckily i have a second gun but i don't shoot as well with it, how much does it cost to get a dented barrel repaired roughly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I'll have to get it knocked out now and I can't fire that barrel either as I might blow the f'in thing out.

I doubt that it would blow up if it is just a ding. However, better to be safe than sorry.

I wonder if you could get some 12ga steel balls and press them through. Have a look at an episode of "How It's Made's Trombone Episode" on youtube. Go to 3:25 to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

FISMA wrote: »
    I doubt that it would blow up if it is just a ding. However, better to be safe than sorry.

I wonder if you could get some 12ga steel balls and press them through. Have a look at an episode of "How It's Made's Trombone Episode" on youtube. Go to 3:25 to see what I mean.

Its a shotgun I'm talking about not a trombone, but thanks anyway.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

A proper dent removal anvil has a screw sliding mechanism that gradually removes the dent as the barrel is hammered gently from the outside and it is tightened to the full barrel gauge.

If it's an expensive shotgun it's worth going to a good gunsmith that has the tools and knowledge to repair it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How bad is the dent?

From a labour (and therefore cost) point of view it doesn't look too time consuming. No doubt you'd have to have the skill very well practised. Can't see it being silly money

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I did something similar, opening an under/over in a hide several years ago and dinged the under barrel against a steel bar that was holding up the camo net. It put a dent in the guns under barrel that is barely noticeable when you look down the barrel, thankfully it didn't appear to affect performance. I suppose it depends on the value of the gun, is it viable to repair because it will surely be costly, IF you can even find someone that you can rely on to do it properly. For me if it were a real good gun I'd get it off to England and someone who knows what they are at, it's a proper gunsmithing job not as simple as replacing a spring or pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Saw the Larry Potterfield video alright.

The dent is about as noticable as the one in the video above. His advice was not to fire through the barrel in case it blows out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Saw the Larry Potterfield video alright.

The dent is about as noticable as the one in the video above. His advice was not to fire through the barrel in case it blows out.

I have the hydraulic one shown in the video, belonged to the gunsmith that was in Nestors sports shop here in limerick,gave it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Vegeta wrote: »
    How bad is the dent?

From a labour (and therefore cost) point of view it doesn't look too time consuming. No doubt you'd have to have the skill very well practised. Can't see it being silly money

Thanks, these videos showed me how to tighten up my father's shotgun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

OSullivans in Rathkeale have a hydraulic dent raising tool shown in the video that I gave them about a year ago, so they should be able to do the job for you

Advertisement