Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I become an academic?

• 02-11-2014 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi, basically my dream career is a political philospher. All the books I read are political theory and philosophy. Unfortunately I had no guidance teacher in LC and am now doing a law degree.

What would the natural progression be from an undergrad to being in a position of being a full time paid academic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Typically by isolating yourself from the rest of mankind and making abstract pronouncements about the workings of the world, past, present and future.

That is to say, by doing a PhD. Usually this is on a topic you find interesting. To secure a job in a university afterwards you need to be be both good and incredibly lucky.

The political aspect of law means that you could certainly end up as a political philosopher, and jurist, if that is what you still want to do when it comes to making more decisions about your future. In the meantime, enjoy what you are studying and try to do as well as possible at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 newsoftheworld

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Typically by isolating yourself from the rest of mankind and making abstract pronouncements about the workings of the world, past, present and future.

That is to say, by doing a PhD. Usually this is on a topic you find interesting. To secure a job in a university afterwards you need to be be both good and incredibly lucky.

The political aspect of law means that you could certainly end up as a political philosopher, and jurist, if that is what you still want to do when it comes to making more decisions about your future. In the meantime, enjoy what you are studying and try to do as well as possible at it.

Well I've already got the first part covered. As for needing to get a job with a university, is that basically the only option? Should I not be able to get one will I find myself with a pile of qualifications which are useless to me and end up just being another late comer to the rat race? I don't like the idea of studying postgrads knowing it will all be for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I think you also need to consider if you are prepared to travel, and work at an obscure Uni/College for a number of years too. As stated you have to be top of your game and lucky to get a position, and even better and luckier to get one at what would be considered a decent Uni.

There are a lot of people who study PhDs with a view to become an academic who never get near a lecture hall.

Advertisement