Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gp4000s sidewall issue?

Options
  • 02-11-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

So I bought 2 sets of GP4000s back in march,23s for the racer and 25s for the commuter. Seemed like good grippy tyre initially.

However, was getting ready to head on my way back from work the other week and noticed a lump on the side of my tyre. On closer inspection it was the tube protruding from the sidewall of the tyre. Binned the thing and replaced it thinking it was obviously just bad luck.

Thing is, was cycling on the racer yesterday and had a blow out. Checked it out and there was about a 1 inch rip right down the sidewall of the tyre.

This could all just be bad luck on my part but I'm wondering now if there has been any known issues with the side wall if these tyres. Have never had this issue with any tyre before. Both sets were filled to 100 psi, which I don't consider to be over the top. Needless to say, I've now gone back to the 4 seasons and won't be in a rush back to the GP4000s again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Check if the brake pads are worn and rubbing the sidewalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Did that alright. Def not the brake pads. Plus its two separate bikes, so unless I'm making a systematic cock up it would be unlikely.

Whatever this issue is, its either bad luck on my part with the road surface, or there is some sort of problem with the particular tyres that I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Had a similar issue with Vittoria Rubinos. 2 separate tyres ripped on the side wall, and bulging out. Both caused by small stones on road I think. Ironically, I've switched to GP4000s, and you've just scared the bejaysus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are you sure your pump gauge is correct and your not over inflating them?

Do your bikes lie against snything (radiator etc) that could be weakening the sisewall in one place?

If they've both got small mileage on them send them back to the retailer and demand warranty replacements.

Are you sure your pump gauge is correct and your not over inflating them?

Do your bikes lie against snything (radiator etc) that could be weakening the sisewall in one place?

If they've both got small mileage on them send them back to the retailer and demand warranty replacements.

Worth checking the pump. Didn't think of that actually. Nope, bikes are in the shed which is a pretty cold environment.

I actually didn't think a manufacturer would cover that so I threw the first tyre out. Still have the second one. Do they tend to five replacements for these sorts of things?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have been using the GP4000s for a few years now, but the last pair I bought, one of them done the same thing on my first trip out. I wish I had sent them back ASAP but kept forgetting. Ended up using a tyre boot and still rode on it at lower pressure for a few months.

Was annoyed as I didn't have the budget for replacements (hence the risky booting)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I had same issue with GP4000s, first 100k and the side wall got ripped out. Had to bin it, felt like waste of money. Perhaps Irish country roads simply not suitable for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

bring them back. same happened to one of mine and put it in the bin. read on bikeradar that there are loads of these issues and people brought them back and got new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I also use gp4000s 23 on good bike, 25 on commuter - no problems at all, inflated to 100psi mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Here too........first trip out on a pair of GP4000s earlier this year and I punctured on something in a deep puddle - not a pothole, so it wasn't a pinch puncture - anyway, I realised shortly after I replaced the tube and then punctured again that there was a tear in the sidewall through which the new tubes were protruding, and puncturing. Very sorry now that I just binned the tyre and didnt send it back.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Worth checking the pump. Didn't think of that actually. Nope, bikes are in the shed which is a pretty cold environment.

I actually didn't think a manufacturer would cover that so I threw the first tyre out. Still have the second one. Do they tend to five replacements for these sorts of things?

Definitely send it back to where you bought it. They then send them back to Contintental who will determine fairly quickly if it's a manufacturing flaw or was caused by stone/other item.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm worried now...have a GP4000s on the rear of my commuter for a number of months and haven't had any issues...must keep an eye on it. Really like the grip on them, would hate to have to get something new!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I bought 10 gp4000s tyres on special offer from rose last year. Mates and family are using them without issue. I had one go in the sidewall after only 30km. The other 9 tyres have many thousands of Km's on them without any issue.

Didn't know that this was a common fault with these tyres.

Wonder if anyone has had similar issues with the newer version, the gp4000s II ?

Rua_ri wrote: »
    I bought 10 gp4000s tyres on special offer from rose last year. Mates and family are using them without issue. I had one go in the sidewall after only 30km. The other 9 tyres have many thousands of Km's on them without any issue.

Same as myself, had 8000km on the previous pair and even put one of them back on when the most recent one failed. When they are good, they are very, very good.

Well I e-mailed the supplier after reading this thread earlier and told him what happened (the order was 6 months ago). I asked is it possible to get it checked whether if it was myself or a manufacturing issue.

They wrote back in 3 hours, and are sending me a replacement, and have apologised but it will take a bit of time as it is regular post for replacements, would this be OK?

I had to say yes, this is great.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well I e-mailed the supplier after reading this thread earlier and told him what happened (the order was 6 months ago). I asked is it possible to get it checked whether if it was myself or a manufacturing issue.

They wrote back in 3 hours, and are sending me a replacement, and have apologised but it will take a bit of time as it is regular post for replacements, would this be OK?

I had to say yes, this is great.

Think I might do the same.
    Can you pass on the email address?
    PM is fine.

Think I might do the same.
    Can you pass on the email address?
    PM is fine.

I bought mine through ROSE so they are doing it, you should e-mail whoever you bought the tyres from,

I bought mine through ROSE so they are doing it, you should e-mail whoever you bought the tyres from,

Thanks for that, i ordered from ROSE too.

Email to ROSE is on the way.

Thanks for that, i ordered from ROSE too.

Email to ROSE is on the way.

Go to the Rose website, log in and go up to contact button in the top right. I used the "returns" section.

Follow up e-mail, they are sending me the "gp4000s II" if that's OK as they no longer stock the I version. Tough choice, I know :rolleyes: .

I have to say customer service is superb so far.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never had a problem at 120psi except on one occasion when I'm pretty sure my blowout was caused by a misaligned brakepad

Bought my tyres on Wiggle so will fire them off a mail now to see if there is anything that they will do. Great to hear you had such a positive experience with Rose, Cramcycle. That's really excellent customer service!

It could well just be bad luck on my part, and I love the grip on the tyres, but i've just been put off them a bit now I think. Especially since I don't appear to be the only one who has had this problem. Have ordered the 4 seasons now as I can't afford for another tyre to only last a few hundred kms, but if I can get a replacement tyre from Wiggle I reckon i'll give the GP4000s another go.

Bought my tyres on Wiggle so will fire them off a mail now to see if there is anything that they will do.

What I said to Rose:
    I bought a pair of Continental GP4000S tyres from you but one of them had the sidewall burst the first time I used them. Do you know where I could send them to see is it a manufacturing error or just bad luck. I have read it is a known issue with the occasional tyre.

Thank you

In case the phrasing matters

Cool, thanks. Will give that a go and see what happens. Worst-case scenario they say no.

So much for Roses comment about it might take 3-4 weeks to sort this and have the tyre arrive as it would not be expedited.

The replacement tyre arrived yesterday by expedited post. So 8 days later, have to say, very impressed.

So much for Roses comment about it might take 3-4 weeks to sort this and have the tyre arrive as it would not be expedited.

The replacement tyre arrived yesterday by expedited post. So 8 days later, have to say, very impressed.

Got my replacement gp4000s II from ROSE today.
    Very happy customer here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JPWOctane

Beasty wrote: »
    Never had a problem at 120psi except on one occasion when I'm pretty sure my blowout was caused by a misaligned brakepad

Bit of a resurrection but thanks for this useful post which I found as a result of googling after a second blowout. :-o

One of my brakepads was doing a very good impression of a knife. Expensive lesson in things to check when giving the bike a once-over!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Nearly killed myself with GP 4000s blow out on front when cornering on descent. IMO faulty tyre been cycling for 30 years so can set up and check bike no doubt manufacturing defect.

Advertisement