Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning in Soccer Forum

Options
  • 02-11-2014 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Never started one of these, and don't really visit this forum so not sure what I am supposed to say here, but can a warning I received be looked at please?
    me wrote:
    So frustrating to see some users get infracted while others just skirt the edges and manage to be a pain in the bollix while escaping action

*Awaits victim card

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92872132&postcount=2977

The mod in question warned me for backseat moderation, I explained that it was not backseat modding, in my opinion, simply an observation on something that frustrates me. I even point out that the person in question skirts the edges, therefore avoids action, this is not a criticism of the mods in any way, the user is quite clever. The situation is a frustrating one and I just voiced that, no recommendation, no demand for action to be taken, no criticism of mod actions, no demand for anything to be done, or anything that should be done.

The mod responded by saying I knew what I was doing evidenced by the *awaits victim card, told me to take it to DRP

So here we are, I explained to him that the awaits victim card is nothing to do with me expecting a card from a mod for the post, it is simply my expectation from the user I was referring to in my post.

I genuinely don't feel like my post, which does not even refer to a specific post, its a general feeling of frustration, fits the criteria for backseat modding as laid out in the charter
    The mods of the forum are listed, no other user (bar ADMINS) has moderation rights in the forum. As such we view interference in moderation as a breach of rules. If you have an issue with a post in this forum, the correct procedure is to use the report post function on the left of the post.

I did not assume any moderation rights in the post, nor did I interfere with, or encourage any interference in moderation.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, if you are unfamiliar with the process, the first thing to do is have a look through the narrative and flowchart at teh top of this page and the Dispute Resolution Forum

You will note from that the first step is to try and resolve the issue via PM with the mod who issued the card. Have you done that?

If you cannot reach a satisfactory conclusion, which in your case is either an acceptance of the card or the mod agreeing to have it rescinded, post back here and one of the Sports CMods will deal with your appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yep, had a look at that and have asked the mod to reconsider, mod has declined and told me to take it here.

Thanks for the reply, I'll wait till a C mod has time to look at the case so

Edit: Should I include any further details that may be relevant to the case?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK I'm going to have limited access over the next couple of days, but as we are talking a yellow and not a ban hopefully there is no time pressure. If one of the other Sports CMods picks it upo in the meantime then fine. If not I'll try and have a look perhaps by some time on Wednesday

No problem, sure I'll leave it at that for now so.

Thanks again for your time.

kryogen wrote: »

The mod in question warned me for backseat moderation, I explained that it was not backseat modding, in my opinion, simply an observation on something that frustrates me. I even point out that the person in question skirts the edges, therefore avoids action, this is not a criticism of the mods in any way, the user is quite clever. The situation is a frustrating one and I just voiced that, no recommendation, no demand for action to be taken, no criticism of mod actions, no demand for anything to be done, or anything that should be done.
    OK, I'll leave the "awaits victim card" out of this, as there are definitely 2 possible interpretations of that, but I do not consider it necessary to dwell too much on that particular point given the comments I am going to make here. I would add though that your intentions with that comment as well as a subsequent post that was initially carded but the mod actually rescinded that card are certainly not completely clear in my mind. You need to understand that if such comments can be taken one of two ways you should never assume an interpretation that may avoid any sanction is going to be accepted by the mods

Turning though to the main points in the post that attracted the yellow card. As you state above it was "an observation on something that frustrates me" and "I even point out that the person in question skirts the edges, therefore avoids action"

Those statements are nothing to do with Manchester United. They are comments on another poster (and it is quite clear from the sequence of posts leading up to those comments which poster you are referring to). Basically you are commenting on modding matters. I am not suggesting you are criticising the mods but you are definitely criticising the behaviour of the poster in question. That is not for any regular poster to do, anywhere on Boards. It is though something that mods (and CMods and Admins) are allowed to do. That is where the "backseat modding" reference comes in. Your comments were both off-topic and making comments that only mods should make.

In the circumstances I am seeing no reason to overturn the card. I would though encourage you to report any poster you feel may be "skirting the edges", and certainly never comment in-thread in the way you did in this case. The specific example that you report may result in direct action, but if not and if a pattern emerges with a particular poster then direct action may result based on the overall picture emerging

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to me, I would disagree with some of your assessment, and if it had been the other night I probably would argue this further, but I have no desire to do so anymore. I accept your decision. I will report the living ****e out of things in future, no fear of that.

I will look to curb my own posts, but I would just pick up on one point you make, you say the post is nothing to do with Man United, and that is true in the literal sense, but the superthread, and soccer forum in general is a community and there is always room for people to make observations, have little jokes and the like, particularly on a club superthread where a lot of the posters would know each other well enough, as well as you can know an avatar anyway! There would be plenty of posts in superthreads that are not specifically related to the topic at hand, but they should not be used an excuse to infract of course, they go to create a lot of the community feel that the place still has, mostly. The intention is always an important factor to consider too obviously.

I feel like I am going to go off on a tangent now and its not what I wanted to do, so yeah. Thanks for reviewing, me and the particular mod see eye to eye on very little so I would not have expected any leeway there really. I just promised myself after the last time I should have contested an infraction I would not let another one pass. If for nothing else other then to create an official record.

Thank you for your time

B

Edit: I should also add, the other card you mentioned, which was rescinded upon my explanation to the mod in question. I would like to thank him/her for that publicly, dunno if we name names here so I won't. I just was to say I appreciate you listening to and accepting my explanation when you could have been difficult about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Marking this as resolved, amicably.

Thanks all round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement