Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garages taking the piss

Options
  • 02-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hiya everyone have a problem and dont know what or if I can do anything bout it.
    I recently took my car to a garage to be fixed, garage owner told me would cost a lot to get it fixed and wasnt really worth doing it! I asked him what my best options he said hed look at what he could get best money he could for it be it scrap or sell as project for apprentice mechanic to fix! (He quoted me 600 to 900 to fix and I was unable to afford that but he since said it wud hav cost 400 to fix it which would have been dooable) Anyway nearly week later he comes bak and said all he could get for me was a small amount for scrap value! I asked if hed gotten rid of car he said it was gone( I was going to take it bak and sell it myself) I took his word for it abd swapped log book for money! It has since come to my attention that he sold car for more than double what he gave me! He had it sold before he even said it to me bout amount he would give me! I have since challenged him on this and he says I agreed on amount and nothing I can do! He seems to gave his ass well covered but he did say he got amount for scrappage! Do I have any law against him at all! Or should I let it go I dont know what to do
    I nvr signed log book either so im assuming hed have needed my signature on it to sell it forward?? Can anyone advise! Im just really pissed off that he took advantage of a vulnerable situation to make a profit!He quoted me 600 to 900 to fix and I was unable to afford that but he since said it wud hav cost 400 to fix it which would have been doable) am I wasting my time fighting this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bambamky76 wrote: »
    Hiya everyone have a problem and dont know what or if I can do anything bout it.
    I recently took my car to a garage to be fixed, garage owner told me would cost a lot to get it fixed and wasnt really worth doing it! I asked him what my best options he said hed look at what he could get best money he could for it be it scrap or sell as project for apprentice mechanic to fix! (He quoted me 600 to 900 to fix and I was unable to afford that but he since said it wud hav cost 400 to fix it which would have been dooable) Anyway nearly week later he comes bak and said all he could get for me was a small amount for scrap value! I asked if hed gotten rid of car he said it was gone( I was going to take it bak and sell it myself) I took his word for it abd swapped log book for money! It has since come to my attention that he sold car for more than double what he gave me! He had it sold before he even said it to me bout amount he would give me! I have since challenged him on this and he says I agreed on amount and nothing I can do! He seems to gave his ass well covered but he did say he got amount for scrappage! Do I have any law against him at all! Or should I let it go I dont know what to do
    I nvr signed log book either so im assuming hed have needed my signature on it to sell it forward?? Can anyone advise! Im just really pissed off that he took advantage of a vulnerable situation to make a profit!He quoted me 600 to 900 to fix and I was unable to afford that but he since said it wud hav cost 400 to fix it which would have been doable) am I wasting my time fighting this??

Yes you are wasting your time.

You exchanged money for the sale of the car, this forms the contract.

Also you should never hand over the log book, you should always send it off to shannon yourself.

It's possible there could be m50 tolls and so on against your name

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It sounds like he sold your car without your permission, however he offered you a price and you accepted it.

What exactly was agreed when you handed over the car is the crux of the matter. It appears as if the garage owner will say you wanted it sold for whatever you could get for it and that was the agreement. He then offered you a cut of the price he got for it (he's hardly going to give you the lot) and you took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Hopefully you will gain from this.

Never believe a car salesperson without question / getting another opinion. - Or any salesperson for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Worth looking at the issue of him selling it rather than scrapping it per your wishes. Might be some issue of fraud or mis-representation. However, with the logbook in his possession it is your word against his. Have a word with citizens advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

To be honest, this just sounds like you sold him the car, took the cash then decided later you weren't happy with the price.

If your objection is that he sold the car for more than he paid you, that's generally how a garage (or indeed any business) makes money. Maybe he put a few hours work and a few parts into it?

I'm not sure I see the objection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

(note to OP, please don't cross post your thread in multiple forums to gain audience, I've closed your other thread in Legal Discussion)

Advertisement