Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bulk up lean muscle time.

• 02-11-2014 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just after running dublin marathon Last monday and pretty much Fecked up me ankle so running is out of the question for 3 months minimum. Any how I want to give the gym a go for a couple of months to build up strength basically bulk up on muscle. Looking for supplement diet and any simple gym routine that works for ppl . Any and all advice much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

eat meat
    eat veg
    lift weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

ddoylers wrote: »
    Just after running dublin marathon Last monday and pretty much Fecked up me ankle so running is out of the question for 3 months minimum. Any how I want to give the gym a go for a couple of months to build up strength basically bulk up on muscle. Looking for supplement diet and any simple gym routine that works for ppl . Any and all advice much appreciated
    Thanks

If you want to build muscle, you need to gain weight and to do that you need to be in a caloric surplus. Nothing major, ~500calories a day is what you'd want as a beginner, aiming for ~1lb a week gain. Try to up your protein intake to roughly 1g per pound of bodyweight per day. To do this you'll need to eat plenty of chicken, beef, eggs, fish etc. and drinking some milk will help too. You don't need supplements to start off with, you should get the basics right first ie lifting good and eating good.

Gym-wise, I think you should look at routines like starting strength or 5x5. There's plenty of other great programs out there aswell, but these are best suited for beginners. Just focus as much on compounds as possible. Bench press, squats, deadlifts and over head presses should be the base of your program, not bicep curls. Only lift weights that you can manage, form is always better than weight, remember that. If you haven't a clue about form, get a trainer or someone just to show you the correct movements for the first few times, then you should be alright. Even youtube videos are a good resource for this. Other than that you should be sorted, it's really simple when you think about it, lift heavy, eat heavy and you'll grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nothing major, ~500calories a day is what you'd want as a beginner, aiming for ~1lb a week gain.

500cal/day equates to 1lb/week of fat loss but it doesn't hold true for muscle gain. It applies for fat as its literally the energy contained in a lb of fat used (or stored) by the body. But building muscle is a much more energy intensive process. It's also subject to a lot more internal factors than simply energy content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Mellor wrote: »
    500cal/day equates to 1lb/week of fat loss but it doesn't hold true for muscle gain. It applies for fat as its literally the energy contained in a lb of fat used (or stored) by the body. But building muscle is a much more energy intensive process. It's also subject to a lot more internal factors than simply energy content.

Yeah I know, it depends on what your goals are, I got a little sidetracked there as I thought for a second he wanted to build muscle too. I know there are some who say you can and others who say you can't build muscle on a deficit as a beginner, personally I don't think you can. But 1lb a week gain is ideal for beginners in the first few months if they plan on getting bigger. Muscle gain is a combination of both energy and protein consumed along with the muscles being in need of repair and recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

eat meat
    eat veg
    lift weights.

Helpful advice.....good man yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

ddoylers wrote: »
    Thanks

Ice cream fitness 5x5 and a calorie surplus. Haven't heard of it not working yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Ice cream fitness 5x5 and a calorie surplus. Haven't heard of it not working yet.

Best novice program out there imo.

Wailin wrote: »
    Helpful advice.....good man yourself.

I said in 6 word what everyone took 2 paragraphs to say. It is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ain't nobody got time fo' readin'.

Bullet points are so hot right now.

• eat big
    • lift big
    • vogue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• eat big
    • lift big
    • vogue

vogue.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lol, I know man! He did ask for a recommended gym routine, something a bit more expansive than 'lift weights' I would imagine.

Wailin wrote: »
    Lol, I know man! He did ask for a recommended gym routine, something a bit more expansive than 'lift weights' I would imagine.
    lift heavy weights, and put them back down again

I'll clarify, as a beginner it makes very little difference what program you choose. there are loads to pick from and a quick search on this or almost any site will give plenty of valid ones.

Beginners going from zero or very little activity in this area will make amazing progress regardless of what they choose to do, there really is no incorrect program, sure some will be slightly more efficient, but not so much that they are must do programmes.

The tendency for people is to always try to overcomplicate something, especially if they are new. they will get bogged down in details and miss the big picture. worry too much about what program they are doing and constantly switch rather than pick one and stick it out. and because there are so many right answers someone will always be there to tell you why this program or that program sucks and you should do the one they like.

Same goes with food, there are a million was to progress like this and each method will have merits. but if you stick them out then you are going to see results because you are a beginner and anything is progress.

At the end of the day you can get overwhelmed with supplement choices, diet plans, workout routines but they all boil down to 2 simple facts. If you want to get big and muscley then you need to eat a lot and lift heavy things, you can overcomplicate it as much as you like but if you're not doing that in one way or another you will be treading water.

So start by eating right and lifting weights. and as you search around you will learn more yourself and can make you own decisions on how to progress.

Pick one of the many programmes discussed at length in multiple threads on this site, eat meat and veg and lots of it. and when you find you are not moving forward revert back to that mantra. and clear out the misinformation that is steering you wrong.

Advertisement