Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a partial refund on car

Options
  • 03-11-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

We bought a car up North in a Ford garage and my wife brought it home today. We were looking at the service manual this evening and I just noticed the car has approx 11,000km more on it, than the advertised distance. Would be be entitled to a partial refund due to the incorrect advertising? I have the original advert printed out confirming the incorrect details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Were you prevented from inspecting the car and it's accompanying documents before you purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Were you prevented from inspecting the car and it's accompanying documents before you purchased?

The wife saw everything, but she took the garage at their word about the mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you bought up north the milage would have been advertised as Miles. Could it be something as simple as 20000 miles = 32000 kms?

Irrespective of this, the milage is clearly visible the instant you start the car. I assume it was taken for a test drive if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

DerryRed wrote: »
    The wife saw everything, but she took the garage at their word about the mileage.
    If she saw everything then surely she should have noticed if there was any discrepancy between either of the 3 mileage values (advertisement, odometer, service book). Irish consumer law does not protect you from things which you ought to have noticed and I doubt UK law is any different in that regards but it may be worth contacting the European Consumer Centre in the UK a http://www.ukecc.net/.

Unless you have evidence the car was clocked then I doubt you have much of a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

A'm going to disagree hear and say you some rights here to return the car for a refund if you were mislead by the advertisement and anything you were told.

However, the mileage would be displayed on the odometer on the car. Did you check it. Does it agree with the advertisement or with the service documents?
    If the latter then you should have noticed that the mileage did not agree with the advertisement and you should have clarified with the seller. But if the former, it would be evidence of clocking.

I would contact the seller, pointing out that you felt they mislead you about the mileage and ask them how they intend to address it. They may be willing to offer some sort of partial refund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Simply put, the mileage they put in the ad is irrelevant once you have a chance to confirm that it is correct before purchase. You did have this chance, you just didnt avail of it. If you didnt even bother to check the mileage i would wonder what faults you have overlooked with the car. Did you have it checked by a professional before purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If she saw everything then surely she should have noticed if there was any discrepancy between either of the 3 mileage values (advertisement, odometer, service book). Irish consumer law does not protect you from things which you ought to have noticed and I doubt UK law is any different in that regards but it may be worth contacting the European Consumer Centre in the UK a http://www.ukecc.net/.

Unless you have evidence the car was clocked then I doubt you have much of a case.
    If the car was clocked, and the advertisement and odometer both gave the wrong figure, then I think OP has a case. I don't think it is incumbent on the purchaser to check the mileage at last service in the service book.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Say it to the garage, I'd say at most, as a gesture of good will they would give to a voucher for fuel or maybe offer you a free service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Say it to the garage, I'd say at most, as a gesture of good will they would give to a voucher for fuel or maybe offer you a free service.

Enough fuel to drive back to the north and claim the free fuel?

:confused:

If the car was clocked, and the advertisement and odometer both gave the wrong figure, then I think OP has a case. I don't think it is incumbent on the purchaser to check the mileage at last service in the service book.

But it is incumbent to check it against the odometer. And also against the service book. These are pretty basic things to check. Mileages given in an ad can be wrong because of something simple as a typo or using kilometers instead of miles.

• Advertisement

and there is no indication from the OP that the car is clocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

DerryRed wrote: »
    We bought a car up North in a Ford garage and my wife brought it home today. We were looking at the service manual this evening and I just noticed the car has approx 11,000km more on it, than the advertised distance. Would be be entitled to a partial refund due to the incorrect advertising? I have the original advert printed out confirming the incorrect details.

I don't understand this. Where does the service manual fit in?

Did the mileage on the odometer match up with the ad? If so, what's the complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Beano wrote: »
    and there is no indication from the OP that the car is clocked.
    That's why I introduced what I said with "if".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

That's why I introduced what I said with "if".

I've never heard of a car being clocked to ADD miles. OP what did the garage say when you phoned them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as you have a duplicate thread in the Motors forum. Please do not open multiple threads on the same topic.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement