Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under cabinet outlets

Options
  • 03-11-2014 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

I am about to put in a new kitchen, I would like to put in concealed/subtle outlets. I know that angled under cabinet ones are available, but they are still fairly visible and quite expensive, I know in the USA, you can get under counter strips. I was wondering if it would be ok to just mount surface mounted boxes to the underneath of the cabinets-they will be hidden by the trim below the cabinets.

ANy and all suggestions welcome as well, thanks.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Don't put them underneath anyhow
    They're not designed to be fitted that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Don't put them underneath anyhow
    They're not designed to be fitted that way

Thanks, is it against regulation? Or just that they are not designed for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

not designed for it anyhow

i'm not aware of any regulation but they would be outside the regulation 4-1200mm height for general use socket outlets

so presumably wouldn't comply with regulations

Thanks, Was talking to a sparky, he said, no they are not designed for that, but there would be no danger-I'm thinking outside the box, I hate the look of them spoiling a backsplash- I was told I was crazy to install a shower fan in the floor of my bedroom to bring up the heat from the sitting room below it, where the stove is, I did it anyway and it does a great job and many others have said how good an idea it was-but it wasn't designed for that ;) -, the regulation for height is not a big concern, and can be a personal preference, -

What Height for Electrical Sockets and Switches (habitable areas)
    For new build properties: any sockets need to be at least 450mm up from the actual floor level of a given room
    As for TV points, telephone outlets, doorbells and light switches: these need to be at a max height of 1200mm from the floor
    In addition to this: electrical sockets, switches and other electrical control devices should be a minimum of 350mm from any corner of a room
    Un-inhabited rooms: Unless the house is specifically designed for a person with limited reach these requirements do not apply in garages and kitchens or other un-inhabited rooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

not designed for it anyhow

i'm not aware of any regulation but they would be outside the regulation 4-1200mm height for general use socket outlets

so presumably wouldn't comply with regulations

Slightly off topic to the original post but I have a socket in cloakroom at 2m to the bottom of the socket. It's on the downstairs ring and has been in place approx 7 years. It was put in for Internet routers and associated hardware up on a high shelf. How old is the height regulation and is there an acceptable workaround in my scenario to bring it in line with current regulations? (Apart from moving it)

Cheers B

Advertisement