Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet pubs in Dublin city

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

I have searched but the last thread I could find was 2009

Went on a first date in Lagoona bar in the IFSC which started great and but soon enough they were blasting mid week football. And I mean LOUD. I know I could have asked the staff to turn it down a bit but well I wasn't on my own so didn't.

Tried to find somewhere quiet yesterday for some lunchtime bar food during the second date :) and again football on top volume where we went.

Good people of Dublin forum, are there pubs in this fine city that are quiet, don't have the TV blaring (not just football because some have the 6pm news for example) and a conversation can be had at ease? Music at a decent level is grand

I know the tourist activities, zoo, splash tour, guinness storehouse & others but I don't know pubs.

I promise I searched, no recent threads at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

the brew dock down by the abbey street luas stop is quiet they don't have music blaring or any tvs, grand central on o'Connell street and the dawson lounge maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Grogans.

To be fair, yesterday was the Manchester derby in the football, always gonna get crowds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Market Bar? I don't think they even play music in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Duke on Duke Street off Grafton Street.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nearys on Chatham Street
    The Duke on Duke Street
    Chaplins on Hawkins Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Peter's Pub on South William Street

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Mulligans on Poolbet St. One side has televisions, the other doesn't.
    The Palace on Fleet St. TV in the front area but not the room in the back.
    Against The Grain on Wexford St. Not a TV to be seen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Stag's Head on Dame Lane, Long Hall on George's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Any of the Galway Bay brewery bars should do the trick none of them have TVs as far as I know. There's 4 in town and 1 in Blackrock.

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/bars/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I'd recommend Chaplins on Hawkins street as well. Quality pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The Sackville Lounge, just off O'Connell Street in Sackville Place

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Long Hall on Georges Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

O'Neill's on Pearse Street is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

+1 on the Galway Bay bars. Lovely bars with no annoying sports drowning out conversation. Also Oscar's in Smithfield (and a new one around Christchurch which I haven't visited yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Was in the bar in the O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel on Merrion Square recently. Thought it would be a perfect place for a date. Classy, quiet so easy to chat, nice seats so comfortable , friendly staff (who might provide table service if not busy), food if you want to eat. There is a TV but just a small one and wasnt turned up when I was there (and there was a match on)

People often say the Library bar. That place is perfect IF you know you will get a seat when you arrive. But as its so small, you might not get a seat. And not a good start to a date if you cant get a seat! It can be awkward when you have to stand up but you are on third date now, so all that awkwardness is probably gone! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I intensely dislike tvs blaring in pubs while I'm trying to have a quiet chat with friends, so I'd be interested in suggestions here also. I love quiet pubs with snugs. Some of the best nights ever have been chats in such pubs without somebody else's noise been imposed on our conversation. Bad manners.

Grogans has already been mentioned. Other than that I can only think of The Gravediggers at Glasnevin cemetery. It's a 25 minute walk from O'Connell Street, but worth every minute of it.
    Club Chonradh na Gaeilge on Harcourt Street is one of the few places in Dublin city centre where you'll be able to carry on a good conversation without tv or music trying to drown it out in the name of "progress". Long live the "dead pubs"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Hanley wrote: »
    Market Bar? I don't think they even play music in there.

Market bar quiet? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Market bar quiet? Really?

Weird acoustics in that place, seems to amplify all conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Chaplins
    Bowes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

brew dock
    the library bar
    the duke
    the gingerman
    peters bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

the Library bar in the Central hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

uch wrote: »
    The Sackville Lounge, just off O'Connell Street in Sackville Place

Great place, except for the sport blaring off the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Great place, except for the sport blaring off the tv.

I've often asked them to turn it off in the Afternoons and there's no problem

21/25

Quiet pub on a Friday evening, any ideas? Shouldnt be too dead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Quiet pub on a Friday evening, any ideas? Shouldnt be too dead though.

Chaplins.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Chaplins.

hmm, never actually in Chaplins. Thank you.

Advertisement