Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie mulligan

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I had an opinion on eddie's switch to FF but then I thought to myself...what if he's the only one worth a slap on our city council? I mean we complain about nothing being delivered for Waterford but maybe that's because none of them have been able to deliver much more than a new street lamp and the cutting down of a tree.

John Halligan is a waste of time and I don't remember the last time an independent ever achieved anything for this or any city.

Only thing is, doesn't this now make Michael garland's job redundant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Politics the art of pragmatism.
    A good move for Eddie and he would be a good candidate for a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

We'll be seeing a lot of this in the next year or so. The various political opportunists - such as Mr. Mulligan - will be looking about for the best option coming up to the general election.

Mr. Mulligan will now be able to add some of the votes he got as an independent to the core Fianna Fail vote that still exists in Waterford. It's a calculation, not a principled stand.

I do find it funny that a candidate that ran almost exclusively on the issue of jobs and investment would join the party that wrecked the national economy and left Waterford in the terrible state it's been in for years now.

But that's politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanorpen

Spotted this on WLRFM news site a while ago. Obviously I am not the only one who has been de friended by a certain lady for pointing out a FACT.

Quote:

Cillian Mac Giolla Easpaig · UCD Ireland
    There have been a lot of negative comment regarding councillor Mulligan's decision to bed down with FF. I commented on this last night on councillor Mary Roche's facebook page and I was immediately un friended by her. Why would an independent councillor make a move to a party that is stagnant at best in the polls ? Besides the fact that Mr. Mulligan is from and is known to be from the Fianna Fail gene pool I would suggest the following. The sitting FF councillors in Waterford would seem to buck the national perception of the party. They would appear to be vibrant and articulate and seen locally as relevant. My wife is from the City and it is our intention to retire there in the very near future. I am from a different political persuasion myself but I am aware that the local FF team work well with councillors from the other established parties. They are seen as putting their community and City before party politics by and large. Mr Mulligan has spoken at length regarding how his City has fallen behind in the pecking order from national government. He has probably become disillusioned with the petty squabbles of independents trying in vain to find common ground and jockeying for position on committees. The man has obviously put the job of councillor before his own interest which is more than can be said of some. Congratulations Eddie Mulligan. You made a brave decision. At least you have shown you are capable of decision. I for one wish you well and please ignore the detractors on facebook. Empty vessels and all that..

Unquote:

Don't really know much about Eddie Mulligan but what I do know is this. If you look at a certain political party that are sailing on a crest at the moment; there is something very obvious. That is that very few of them are actually from Waterford. Some of them don't even live here. What difference does that make ??? Well to me when I hear Gerry this and Gerry that, Gerry Gerry Gerry. This says to me where their loyalty is. You had one SF councillor recently posting 'Gerry's' reaction to events in Waterford. What's the name of the guy the shinners smashed his legs in a couple of years back ?? (long after GF agreement) Whatever the faults of FG/FF/lab and some of the indeps it can't be said of them that they have a very scary Stalinist Like cult of personality towards their leader.
    There is a reasonably competant crew in place in Waterford at the moment and the City is not looking too bad considering. That team has the City and county at heart and not the glorification of someone who doesn't even know where Waterford is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yamal/UCJT

Would you be referring to:

Sean Reinhardt Ind/quasi SF (a Dub)
    John Hearne SF/quasi sponge bob party (another Dub)
    David Cullinane SF/ I love Mary Lou party (Kilkenny Cat)
    Cha O'Neill (a Turkish national given his residence status)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

yamal/UCJT wrote: »

Cha O'Neill (a Turkish national given his residence status)

What's this?

• Advertisement

He lives in Turkey most of the year and the other two weeks he lives about 100 metres from my parents house. Thats why he is perma tan

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Eddie Mulligan has the potential to be a very good asset for Waterford, his own camp report that in order for him to progress he needs the weight of a party behind him, their point being that an independent has little or no power.
    It's a big step for him to nail his flag to the FF pole, I have no doubt that he will initially lose some supporters and maybe some for good.
    However he has time to prove himself for Waterford before the next GE (I have no doubt he has his eye on national politics) and he certainly has time before local elections.
    The rest of the council has no potential to progress and that's not a comfortable position for the city to be in.
    All you really hear from is the caped crusader Hearne, he isn't exactly covering himself in glory atm.
    What about that young Wyse chap, I havnt seen or heard a peep from him !

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Poor Adam is in over his head. Embarrassing really how he got elected.

Sorry NYPD but Eddie Mulligan's 'Camp' is now FF. I am not saying that that is a bad thing. It's just that he will toe the party line from now on in. Not that he was toeing any line up to now or had any direction. That party line is dominated by two councillors in the Waterford area. James Tobin is a virtual hero to the electorate in the west of the county (Deasy family status if he were FG) There is a potential seat here for FF but the candidate would have to be anointed by Tobin first. FF headquarters (read Sean Dorgan) wouldn't dare ignore Tobin if they wanted to carry the county. The same would have to be said of FF 'Party Boss' in the city, Jason Murphy.
    This guy is articulate and relevant as has already been said by another poster. He recently took a council seat in an area that you wouldn't expect a FF vote. He is well liked locally (I am in his area) and has a firm grip on the party apparatus. There is none of the in fighting that once dominated FF in the Waterford constituency. This is the doing of Murphy and Tobin. I listened to Eddie Mulligan on WLRFM this morning. He didn't impress. Murphy and Tobin are building a big organisation between them and don't be surprised if a national candidate comes from one of them. Either way their candidate will be elected from a college of cardinals of the two mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Nypd wrote: »
    Eddie Mulligan has the potential to be a very good asset for Waterford, his own camp report that in order for him to progress he needs the weight of a party behind him, their point being that an independent has little or no power.
    It's a big step for him to nail his flag to the FF pole, I have no doubt that he will initially lose some supporters and maybe some for good.
    However he has time to prove himself for Waterford before the next GE (I have no doubt he has his eye on national politics) and he certainly has time before local elections.
    The rest of the council has no potential to progress and that's not a comfortable position for the city to be in.
    All you really hear from is the caped crusader Hearne, he isn't exactly covering himself in glory atm.
    What about that young Wyse chap, I havnt seen or heard a peep from him !
    His "camp" pre-election were FF members, so it's hardly surprising that now they've got their man in the bag, they think he should go back into the fold.

I'm just surprised that people didn't think this was his plan all along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement