Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Satellite to PC - opinions required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's DVB-S (so no high def). Just FYI.

edit: There is a HTPC forum where you'll probably get more people giving you the answers that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I've the Inspiron 531 and recently added a single DVB-S2 card, but I also added a graphics card as I was getting pixelation on the HD channels. Also note that recording HD channels takes up ALOT of space !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its about 1.5 GB per hour so yes they take up space!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Its about 1.5 GB per hour so yes they take up space!

Much higher than that for HD content when recorded off a satellite feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

I'm using one of these http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr4400.html
    in my Win7 desktop, using it with DVB Viewer Pro, works very well with DVB-T and DVB-S standard and HD channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Khannie wrote: »
    Much higher than that for HD content when recorded off a satellite feed.

Yep, I recorded a 3.5hr program on Ch4 HD and it took up.....15GB.
    I then used VLC converter to bring it down to 2.6GB, as part of my experiment to see what's best for quality & size. It took over 6 hours.
    /I need a faster PC, i7 me thinks !

Advertisement