Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anger as jobless told to put Cvs online or lose dole

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭teddy_303

all the stalkers and credit card fraudsters the length of the country, rubbing their hands in glee.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The idea I think is a good one but how it is implemented is another question.

Regarding not being able to do CV's is someone is computer illiterate, send them on a computer literacy course, FAS run plenty of these anyway, when I was previously unemployed I got sent on a 1 week jobs club, which was basically create a CV and interview tips, wasn't really useful for anyone who had gone through a degree or that but there were many there who made their first ever CV, so was useful, just not to me.

Regarding details being posted online, no personal details need to be posted, name, DOB, full address can all be kept hidden, have a contact form which sends message to your personal email, so email doesn't have to be shown either, simples.

I do understand there are a lot of jobs which are a case of a sign up in a window but that still doesn't mean people shouldn't have their CV posted online, and if implemented right employers are more likely to use it.

The real issue is with people who don't want to do a hard days work and are unwillling to upskill. And if it can be really shown that someone unwilling to do either of these I see no reason their welfare payment shouldn't be restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

This is the real issue, no one that's working full time should be worse off than someone unemployed.

Fixed your post. All full time employees SHOULD be better off than on the dole, unfortunately this is not always the case.
    But sure fcuk it just cut the dole don't worry about the people on minimum wage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

This is the real issue, no one that's unemployed should be better off than someone working full time.
    The real issue with what? In general, the unemployed are not better off than people working full time - should go without saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

teddy_303 wrote: »
    all the stalkers and credit card fraudsters the length of the country, rubbing their hands in glee.....

Only if the system is stupidly designed.
    Hundreds of millions of CVs are online without any problem.

That being said, all of my jobs were landed by networking and speculative application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The idea I think is a good one but how it is implemented is another question.

It's not really. What are they going to do? Make it compulsory for an employer use their service before others? Companies want staff to make an effort and apply for a job. Not go searching through a government database full of people who've been forced to upload their cvs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭teddy_303

and what are the odds it will be well thought out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The real issue is with people who don't want to do a hard days work and are unwillling to upskill. And if it can be really shown that someone unwilling to do either of these I see no reason their welfare payment shouldn't be restricted.
    Again, the real issue with what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And once FÁS have the ould CV online you'll be getting spammed by jobsbridge, f**k that. Moany Joan has already made her neo liberal approach to work clear.

I spose you could hand them up a dummy CV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I know when I post my CV up online I have 50-60 companies a day ringing me begging me to work for them.
    This is obviously a clever move that will reduce unemployment and not just a crap PR exercise to make it look like Joan Burton is actually doing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I know when I post my CV up online I have 50-60 companies a day ringing me begging me to work for them.
    This is obviously a clever move that will reduce unemployment and not just a crap PR exercise to make it look like Joan Burton is actually doing something

I agree, although I think the people who are looking will already have umpteen CVs up online.

You've got a cohort of people who are just not looking at all and you've also got another group who just have totally incompatible skills (mostly trades, but also professions like architecture, archeology, civil and structural engineering is definitely less impacted as it's more flexible etc) Those were in huge demand during the building boom). Those issues need to be addressed with retraining and very serious incentives to change careers. There are still a % holding out for the construction boom which may never happen again, at least never on the scale that we saw during the bubble.

Others have emigrated so they can continue to work in those sectors.

I think it's definitely worth finding out what people are doing to get a new job though. I don't think they do enough of that and they need to resource it a lot more.

I don't mean threatening people either, some people can sink into really dark places when they're unemployed and others are really just not very good at marketing themselves and get stuck in a rut.

A few months out of the work force can wreck someone's confidence, I've seen people I know in that situation.

You need to figure out why people aren't in jobs and fix those problems.

Jobs Bridge is useful, but it's inadequately policed and it's probably displacing entry level jobs that would be paid otherwise, which is costing the state unnecessary amounts of money.

The main problem is there's inadequate personnel resources (including inappropriate skills, i.e. too many administrators, and not enough career advisor types) in the DPS.

Also, I'm not convinced that career for life civil servants without any experience of how to job hunt (in recent decades) are the most appropriate people be be dispensing advice to the unemployed job hunter. We need a proper service and maybe some volunteers to come on board and help.

I'd quite gladly give a couple of hours a week to help some people write CVs and market themselves, if it'd help out and I think plenty of others would too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great stuff, you must have the midas touch. I know several lads that are over qualified to work in several professions. Yet never mind a phone call, they never even got an acknowledgement email from prospective employers. But whatever you're doing, you should probably bottle it quick and sell it. Because I'm guessing you'd make a killing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea and don't see why anyone would be angry about it.

probably because for many, they're will be little chance of getting employment out of it at the moment and for the forseeable future?
    RonanP77 wrote: »
    I've never done up a CV because I've been in full time employment since the week after my leaving cert. If I was unfortunate enough to lose my job I'd be perfectly happy to do up a CV and stick it up online.

as would many. but at the moment unless you really stand out, they're is little point as they're is little chance of getting anything, or at least anything that pays enough that you can pay your costs

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You've got a cohort of people who are just not looking at all and you've also got another group who just have totally incompatible skills (mostly trades, but also professions like architecture, archeology, civil and structural engineering is definitely less impacted as it's more flexible etc)

I was an archaeologist and was unemployed in 2008-2010. Got a phone call from Fas one day to go in for a meeting as they had a job which would suit me. It was a job for a geologist. I tried to explain to the woman on the desk that I wasn't qualified and she could not understand the difference between archaeology and geology :rolleyes:

I used my unemployed time to do some Fas courses and got computer qualifications in MS Office etc. Didn't really learn anything new but just having the certs has stood to me as proof that I can use those packages rather than the interviewer going on my say so.

Have an excellent job now with good money and great prospects but there were people in my course who just took the piss; regularly coming in late, if at all, not doing any of the assignments etc. They still all passed and they're still all on the dole. Some people have no incentive I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Thing is despite the PR and spin there just aren't the jobs out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Things are definitely picking up though. Our local newspaper had a full page of jobs last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BBJBIG wrote: »
    My CV has Value.
    I don't hand it out to Kunts on street corners ...

So, this little Oirish Dictatorship can fook roigh off.

So where do you exchange your CV for food or heat??
    For most folks their CV would only have value If they printed it onto a ten euro note.

Surely at least a modest CV could be out in place so prospective employers could review it for open positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

allibastor wrote: »
    If you wish to see first hand people who just don't want to work, get a job in recruitment.
    I have guys who turn up for interview in shorts and tee shirts, guys who come in smelling of drink, guys who are high, ladies with tops on that are 10 sizes too small for them.
    I have people give me a half page CV and then get annoyed when I ask them about their jobs.
    I had one heavy lady who wore the smallest top with cleavage to her neck who kept pulling at the top, then told her friend outside that I was coping a look (eeewwwww, just no)
    I have sent people job specs and given them loads of help only for them to jack the job in a day or so later cause it was too hard.

Jesus wept.
    The whole SW system seems to be one big dance on Charles Darwin's grave really - a deliberate perversion of nature itself. In it are the seeds of destruction of 'western' civilization. A matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hermy wrote: »
    Surely a person has the right not to have their personal information posted online?

There's a point. If anyone can access it they can likely get your address, e-mail, telephone number and all the other details. It'll certainly make the stalking easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No savings to dip into/borrow from family/friends??

Of course not.....

Borrowing money they might not be able to pay back, that worked out so well for Ireland as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It should happen, but it won't. Hot air as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

_Brian wrote: »
    So where do you exchange your CV for food or heat??
    For most folks their CV would only have value If they printed it onto a ten euro note.

Surely at least a modest CV could be out in place so prospective employers could review it for open positions.

The details on the CV have value. Marketers (and scammers) would love to get access to a database of people's home address, phone number, email address, date of birth and job history.
    It's easy enough to work out people's relative age, income, class and ethnic background using the information on your CV

I have a modest understanding of how HR people and agencies operate, so would never just post up a generic CV online for people to find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Borrowing money they might not be able to pay back, that worked out so well for Ireland as a whole.

A Safe Pass and manual handling course can easily be got for well under 200 euro.

it's hardly a second mortgage.

They are both valuable certs to have and compulsory if you go for a job in construction or warehousing.

Top marks for the hysterical comparison though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Streetwalker please don't bring relevant factual information into the debate!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

A Safe Pass and manual handling course can easily be got for well under 200 euro.

I really wish I was in a position where I could consider 200 euro no big deal. It's a practically impossible number for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

How will forcing every unemployed person to upload their CV to (what will most likely be a badly designed and policed website) help the 300,000+ on the live register get proper full waged jobs?

Just more busy work for the unsackable cretins in FAS and DSP, and PR for the government trying to look tough on 'scroungers' to the middle class voters who haven't a breeze of what being unemployed is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

i can see their point but for me personally theres way to many security concerns i dont want want to have to worry about them losing a laptop or usb key up loading a backup to the wrong place theres to much info on a c.v to be throwing it out on every single recruiter there is, i dont even give my email out again because theres to much attached to it

hey heres a mad thing how about they lead by example and publish their c.v's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

does not fas solas or whatever they call themselves to spend more money have everyones details, when one signs on around here they haave to call in next door to the solas office, there you details are duly noted, a week after signing on a relative was offered a job in canada by solas, are the canadians subsidising them as well as us.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I really wish I was in a position where I could consider 200 euro no big deal. It's a practically impossible number for some people.

Point taken, but it really is peanuts when you compare it to the many multiples of that number that are frittered away on useless degrees and post grad courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

They are both valuable certs to have and compulsory if you go for a job in construction or warehousing.

some one under 25 has only 100 euro per week to exist, so two weeks dole to get the certs, what are they supposed to live on love and fresh air.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    some one under 25 has only 100 euro per week to exist, so two weeks dole to get the certs, what are they supposed to live on love and fresh air.

What does an Arts student live on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Just think of it as an exploitation /jobbridge register.

The dole is for people actively seeking work, not those that don't want it. In theory anyway!

Don't want the job? Halve their dole

I would once have held the same opinion. However, I now believe that there is a section of our society that, through no fault of their own, are unemployable. They fall between two stools. They don't "qualify" for any support other than the Dole. They lack the skills required to actively seek work and to hold down a job. In other words, they are vulnerable and need our support. I hope allowences will be made for them.
    Those who simply don't want to work, yes halve THEIR benefits, not just their dole, all associated benefits, such as rent, fuel allowance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 portarlington speakers

What we need is a proper boost to the economy. With over one in ten of us out of work and the main streets of many towns full of closed shops putting our cvs on line won't make much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Its not like most unskilled jobs have loads of CVs thrown at them already. The only people who will be contacted about an online CV are probably not unemployed, unless there's a java developer with 10 years experience on the dole for the fun of it.

The whole "computer illiterate" is a load of ****. Unless you have a disability (and being no good at computers is not one) I would question someones ability to adapt to a new job if they couldnt upload a CV online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

While I agree that putting CV's online is probably an exercise in futility, I don't think it can do much harm. Surely it would make more sense to tackle the issue of unskilled long term dole recipients? I think we need to abolish a system whereby a school leaver can receive dole simply for existing. It creates a lifestyle option for those who don't work and have no ambition in life and creates a huge financial burden for the tax payer who then has to fund them and their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Nothing hysterical about it, 200 quid is a lot of money to a lot of people. Most jobs I've worked in just made you do manual handling courses anyway. "Do you have enough sense to pick up this box without injuring yourself? Great"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Well the Bankers had no complaints. They lose, we pay. The ultimate win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

While I agree that putting CV's online is probably an exercise in futility, I don't think it can do much harm. Surely it would make more sense to tackle the issue of unskilled long term dole recipients? I think we need to abolish a system whereby a school leaver can receive dole simply for existing. It creates a lifestyle option for those who don't work and have no ambition in life and creates a huge financial burden for the tax payer who then has to fund them and their kids.

I think we need to abolish a system where insanely high paid politicians and senior civil servants think farcical ideas like this are a viable solution to the unemployment crisis first. I think it creates a huge financial burden for the tax payer who then has to fund them and their kids private educations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Id hate to be put out like that when looking for Work. The indignaity of putting ones CV on line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What we need is a proper boost to the economy. With over one in ten of us out of work and the main streets of many towns full of closed shops putting our cvs on line won't make much difference.

The dole is a help to get back on your feet . You have to help yourself after that. Its not up to anyone to drag you back to Work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's wrong with that? My cv is online and I have a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thread title misleading, I don't see any anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There are loads of vacancies in my field of work: every employer is advertising through jobsbridge to pay 1.25/hr. I could understand if the employer's profit margins were thin and they needed a little breathing space but some of these are the biggest operators in the County.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The database is a good idea (though likely to be a data protection nightmare, as this country has a long history of enormous database leaks), but using it to threaten the unemployed, makes it look more like an added hurdle/layer-of-bureaucracy, for creating an excuse to kick some people off the dole for trivial reasons.

Also - obligatory mention in threads like this: There are not enough jobs for all of the unemployed, as there are 24 people per job vacancy at the moment:
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/imglibrary/2014/09/201409021647131.jpg
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2014/09/02/latest-data-on-the-vacancy-rate/

It is more of a "make it look like we're doing something" exercise than anything else though - if government wanted to do something useful about the unemployment problem, money would be spent creating jobs, rather than ignoring the wholly inadequate supply of jobs.
    Are you still posting this inaccurate information? The number of jobs in an economy is not fixed, more people working means higher aggregate demand which means more available jobs.

Anything that can be done to raise the number of people working in the economy is helpful, whether that be facilitating job suppliers to meet with job seekers or encouraging job seekers to heighten their efforts of finding employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

its just making it easier to categorize people before they get thrown onto some bull**** pathway to work scheme or jobbridge. Nothing to do with creating real jobs in the slightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Potentially a good idea in theory, however I would have grave reservations about unscrupulous employers using the Jobbridge scheme for reasons that it wasn't intended for exploiting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Most people who are seriously looking for work will be throwing out cv's online even without this scheme. Those who have no intention of working will put up some piece of crap cv full of spelling errors etc. which guarantee there won't be any interest in it.

Nothing changes...those who want to work are working or look for jobs, those who don't sit on their arse and do the bare minimum to stay on the scratcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Aren't online CV's sometimes used for identity theft ?
    Dunno if I'd be mad about it to be honest, I'd like to know just how secure the server is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Maybe just drop the name on the CV? Employer can still check CVs without risk of personal intrusion. I don'the see the problem anyways. Shouldn't the people on the dole have their CV online anyways.

The whole point of FAS is to get you a job. It's your responsibility to look for your own dream job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement