Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rel="canonical" the way to go?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a site that users can post adverts on, I have pretty URLs running and I also have a bit of code that makes the first few lines of the ad description to be the meta description, and the ad title also becomes the page title.

However I noticed when I logged into Google Webmaster tools when users change the advert title a new URL is created, which Google sees as a new advert,with the same meta description, and duplicate titles. So I have a few hundred warnings, which isn't great.

I reckon adding a rel="canonical" is the obvious solution to the problems, for both the warnings over duplicate descriptions, titles and for any duplicate content concerns.

Has anyone any experience with a problem like this, or can anyone see any issues with, or alternatives to, the solution?

Thanks.

Advertisement