Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary GSM dialler

Options
  • 03-11-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I want to add some very basic monitoring to a garage/shed.
    Thinking of adding a GSM dialler, activated by movement within the garage.
    It's in a rural area, no external power available so would need to run from car battery for example.

Not sure how much I'd need to budget for the above, but as it will only be a temporary requirement I don't want to spend much.
    Can anyone recommend a setup, by PM if necessary?

Optional:
    Great if I could integrate a camera also triggered by PIR which would help to filter out false alarms. Could the image be sent by MMS or are we now in the realm of a data enabled SIM logging to an internet location etc?

Note: I'm not looking for a certified/secure/professional system here as this is only a temporary measure. The garage in question is on a building site (self build home) and will be used for storage. The alarm will be upgraded when house is built.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What sort of time scale are looking for the battery to hold up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

KoolKid wrote: »
    What sort of time scale are looking for the battery to hold up for?

I'm regularly at the site (too regular) so I could change batteries once a week if necessary. Something longer lasting would be more convenient of course.

Google found me a GSM enabled camera with PIR sensor (and others). It provided SMS, MMS, email and could log in at any time to take a look - but cost over £300 sterling.
    Looked like a good quality product to my untrained eye at least. It would be something I could use elsewhere after the build completes but still would prefer to spend less.

Did you have anything in mind?

Advertisement