Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund from Argos

Options
  • 03-11-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭

I bought an Xbox One from Argos five weeks ago, the controller went faulty so I went back and they replaced it. The replacement has also went faulty, am I entitled to a refund as I no longer want the xbox due to this fault?

The store is 40 odd mile away so I'd like to know before I go.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Liamalone wrote: »
    I bought an Xbox One from Argos five weeks ago, the controller went faulty so I went back and they replaced it. The replacement has also went faulty, am I entitled to a refund as I no longer want the xbox due to this fault?

The store is 40 odd mile away so I'd like to know before I go.

Thanks in advance

My kids have an xbox one and they absolutely batter the controllers, is it a fault in the controller or a fault in the way you look after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liamalone wrote: »
    am I entitled to a refund as I no longer want the xbox due to this fault?

No. Repair, replace and refund are the options the store has and it's at their discretion which they choose. They'll most likely just offer you another controller.

What's going wrong with it? Is it a syncing issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Story goes like this:

- Bought Xbox on Fifa release date, left thumbstick on controller #1 went faulty after an hour of Fifa.
    - Returned controller to Argos, same thing happened to this controller (#2).
    - Returned controller #2 to Microsoft after being assured via live chat that it was a known issue and controllers had been improved.
    - Now left controller-less, so I bought controller #3 from Asda in the meantime and it was grand after playing Fifa for 3 nights for about 3 or 4hrs each night. All was good, this must have been from the new batch I thought. All's looking good [​IMG]
    - Controller (#4) then returned from Xbox in Germany and it was a completely new one as I marked the one I sent away. I never even touched this controller as I was giving it to a relation for Xmas and #3 had passed the test by racking up 12+ hours of Fifa without fault.

Then things changed [​IMG]

- Turned on Xbox for some Fifa tonight, hadn't played it for about 10 days, controller #3 develops left thumbstick fault during first game. AAAARGH. I then hoped that #3 wasn't from a new batch after all, so I set it aside for a return and crack open controller #4 which was definitely a new super improved left thumbstick version.
    - During the third game of Fifa with controller #4 the left thumbstick goes wonky. Holy grrr aaarghhh ************!

davo10 wrote: »
    My kids have an xbox one and they absolutely batter the controllers, is it a fault in the controller or a fault in the way you look after it?

I look after the controller very well, the Xbox One controller doesn't stand up to my method of playing Fifa whereas the Xbox 360 one lasted six years with no faults :(

Right, four faulty controllers it's been now. Is there any way I can get a refund from Argos? Fed up with this piece of crud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You probably should have you sent controller #2 back to Argos but the fact that Microsoft replaced it with controller #4 which also failed clearly indicates the controller is not fit for purpose unless you're being excessively forceful. Argos are pretty good to deal with so bring it back and explain to them how you've been plagued with problems. They may offer another controller but feel free to decline as you can't be expected to have to keep replacing controllers on an ongoing basis.

There seems to be a known problem with the thumbstick
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Xbox-one-controller-Thumbstick-fix-without-replaci/

Mmmm where to get a soldering iron lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No. Repair, replace and refund are the options the store has and it's at their discretion which they choose.

You are wrong there. The first time something goes wrong the store can decide how to deal with it. If the same fault occurs again the customer is entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

4 times
    I call bs
    sorry OP but 4 times in a row, you're either smashing you're joypad while playing fifa
    or you are very unlucky.

4 times I really doubt it.

either that or the staff at argos are throwing the joypad around before it gets to you
    (they also tend to do this)
    but 4 times I find very hard to believe

lol I wish it was bs and being a grown man I wouldn't be frustrated as much if I was throwing the controller about in a hissy fit. I would take my oil as it would be my fault.

If I was manhandling the controllers then why did my Xbox 360 one never have any problems? As I said, I actually had to replace the left thumbstick a few times due to wear!

I've only went back to Argos the once as it's 40 miles away, one back to Asda, and one that was sent to Xbox in Germany for repair has now been returned again.

BS? The fifth went last night, it actually lasted two nights of playing Fifa :(

Edit: if you look at the link slimmjimmc provided and read it I think this is the exact nature of my issue, it's the same issue every time. And the guy in the link does say that the equivalent component in the 360 joypad was made of metal but plastic in the One controllers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

You are wrong there. The first time something goes wrong the store can decide how to deal with it. If the same fault occurs again the customer is entitled to a refund.

No. They (customer) can argue that they deserve a refund, but what they get is still between them and the retailer. We are also talking about one part (albeit a vital part) of a 400 item, so they'll try opt for replacement as the whole item would have to be returned and Microsoft won't refund them (worked in a game shop and I'm certain of this!) so they'll be reticent to do it.

I've two controllers OP, I'd be interested to see what happens if I gave you one considering I've had no issues for the past few months and neither have any of my mates!

Argos are decent so they might refund you the whole console but I wouldn't be too sure. Seems like you have been very unfortunate. Can you get the store number and ring them and discuss it with them first? I would also point out that they are only responsible for two of the controllers, so they might ask you to go another round! :)

Thanks folks.
    I don't think that I've been unfortunate, I think that the controller is not as sturdy as the previous system's in that particular area. I know that when playing Fifa I do push the left thumbstick in the desired direction a little 'firmly' shall we say but I played Fifa/PES for six or seven years on the 360 without any problems.

The Argos controller is on it's way back from holidays at the repair centre, it's second trip there, I will see how this fares before doing anything. If it's ok after enduring a few sessions of Fifa then all is ok, if it fails I will parle with Argos with a view to a refund.

The other controller from Asda will be returned ad nauseum if it's faulty until they get fed up and refund it instead.

I'm just disappointed and frustrated about the issue as I only have ever really played PES/Fifa and I bought the Xbox when Fifa 15 came out only to encounter this problem which is related to my playing style and a lesser standard controller than the previous system.

I might even try the super glue remedy suggested in the link above with the second controller if it comes to that, I'd be well happy if it was handy fine and worked!

Advertisement