Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Reader

• 03-11-2014 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm thinkin of getting an ereader from Santa.

It would be primarily for graphic novels so one in colour is what I'm after.

No idea where to look so I'd appreciate some recommendations or links for the better end of the market.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi all.

I'm thinkin of getting an ereader from Santa.

It would be primarily for graphic novels so one in colour is what I'm after.

No idea where to look so I'd appreciate some recommendations or links for the better end of the market.

Thanks in advance.
    The reality is you're looking for a tablet, rather than an e-Reader. Genuine readers that display using e-ink displays are black and white only, whereas readers that display colour use backlit screens just like an iPad, for example.

The Kindle Fire is a tablet marketed also as a colour eReader. Might be work a look as it's connected to the Amazon store. Though most tablets will allow you to view PDFs or read comics you have loaded on.

So really, you need to decide what your budget is, what size screen you want and also look at where your comics will be from and and what format they will be in - and then look at tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks man.

A mate of mine copied a number of graphic novels onto my hard drive in PDF format.

The kindle fire seems to suit what I need most. Someone else said that ideally I should go for up to 10" screen wise but the one I'm lookin at is 7".

It will primarily be for books tbh with graphic novels as an aside. Budget wise I don't want to spend more than 200 eurons so that rules out the larger tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks man.

A mate of mine copied a number of graphic novels onto my hard drive in PDF format.

The kindle fire seems to suit what I need most. Someone else said that ideally I should go for up to 10" screen wise but the one I'm lookin at is 7".

It will primarily be for books tbh with graphic novels as an aside. Budget wise I don't want to spend more than 200 eurons so that rules out the larger tablets.

You should get a Kobo Glo for €100 for your ebooks (pdf, epub, mobi etc) and spend the other €100 on a second hand 10" tablet for graphic novels!

You cant get the same gadget to do both, as Dades said ereaders have black and white e-ink displays which are much easier on your eyes for reading ebooks!

Yeah, a backlit screen (i.e. a colour tablet) is not ideal for regular books for any length of time. Do bear that in mind when prioritizing your purchase.

An proper eReader kindle will allow you to read PDF comics, albeit in black & white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I tried some graphic novels on a 7 inch tablet and found it too small to really appreciate them.

• Advertisement

Think Im going to go with this

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1429587/Trail/searchtext%3EKINDLE.htm

Seems to be a fantastic price (exact same model is on Amazon for £199 sterling. The one through Argos works out at €149 as you get a €20 Argos voucher with the purchase.

That link is showing the price as €249. Was it cheaper last week?

Ya man.

I reserved it online on the Tuesday evening at €169, went to collect it on Wednesday after work and they tried to charge me €249. I had printed off the reservation slip I got emailed so they stood over the price.

Paid €169 but got €20 Argos vouchers to use against any other product.

Happy out but now I just have to wait til Christmas as its a pressie from the other half.

:mad:

Still though, very happy with the price.

:)

Advertisement