Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting puppy used to muzzle...?

• 03-11-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

So our 8 month old puppy has started wearing a muzzle when he is running around our garden (advised by the vet) as he eats anything & everything he can and it has got him into bother a few weeks ago so We bought him a caged muzzle so he could still drink etc.

But the poor guys Hates it. We give him treats and praise him when it is on him but he just can't get used to it.

He won't really go outside with it on either (I joke that he feels embarrassed!) but he will just sit inside the door looking sad.

This morning I popped the muzzle on him first thing so he could go and do his business but he just wouldn't go!!! He was ran outside and back in and was kind of shaking he needed to go so bad. As soon as I took the muzzle of him he ran outside & went straight away.

I don't understand it!! Can anybody help or offer advice ?? :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Muzzles can be annoying for dogs, just imagine having something wrapped around your mouth! So to get them used to it you have to desensitize them to it. Basically make them think this muzzle is the best thing in the world. I'm sure there's people on here with better advise than I, but from my experience you should place a treat inside the muzzle so they willingly put their snout in to grab it, don't close the muzzle just let them get the treat and loads of praise for willingly putting their face into it, it should be a very high value treat, something they wouldn't normally get like a piece of chicken or hot dog. After doing this for a while when the pup starts to show less hesitation about getting the treat out then you can close the muzzle on them, only for a few seconds, then once again treats and praise galore. Gradually build up the time the muzzle is left on for till you can leave it on them for the full time that you need it. It also may help if you do this training at random times throughout the day - not just when going outside or going to the toilet as they would associate those things which would normally be enjoyable with something bad happening - ie getting the muzzle on and be reluctant to do them which I would say is already happening a bit since the pup is showing hesitation about going outside with it on. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'd also work on teaching him to leave, so that when he is out in the garden, if he gets something he shouldn't, you can get it off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There's a really good youtube video for muzzle training, will try to dig it up later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is one of the best videos I've come across for muzzle training, I love the idea of using peanut butter :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjPpXer8IE

Glad to hear you're using the basket muzzle OP, but you *may* get away with cutting the top off it so that his muzzle isn't entirely enclosed. It won't act as a muzzle then, but it will prevent him from being able to get things into his mouth.
    Along a similar theme, you *may* also get away with getting a plastic buster collar, and cutting it so that there's a "shelf" under your pup's chin that prevents him accessing stuff on the ground. I hope that makes sense!
    In both above cases, the pup will have more freedom, won't feel as constricted, and will be able to act more naturally.
    You should concurrently teach him a "Leave It" cue, as already suggested, because using a muzzle is only avoiding the issue, it won't teach him to not do it!
    If not already done, I'd suggest you get your vet to carry out blood tests on your dog, just to make sure that his tendency to eat non-food items is not because there's an underlying health problem, such as malabsorption or a hormonal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Thanks so much for the replies. I will have a look at the videos now. DBB I would never have thought of cutting the tip of the muzzle!!
    We have gotten blood samples/stool samples/urine samples etc done as he is prone to a very sensitive stomach. After all the tests & even having to change vets we finally have a bit of an answer. They said he has SIBO. He is currently on antibiotics for it. He does not help himself by eating EVERYTHING around him ,haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'd also work on teaching him to leave, so that when he is out in the garden, if he gets something he shouldn't, you can get it off him.

He knows 'Leave It & obeys the command but when he is out in the garden and finds a lovely long branch , he thinks it is a game when I say leave it and walk towards him . He sprints off with it in his mouth!:o

Advertisement