Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared accomodation rent book question

Options
  • 03-11-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I'm renting a house along with 4 other tenants. So far we've been paying the rent to the landlord in cash, for which he is giving us a carbon copy receipt, however I'm looking to fill out a rent book just to have a more officially receipt of rent paid. With regards recording the rent paid in the rent book, should the amount of rent payable monthly I fill in be the amount I personally pay (1/5 of the total rent), or will this be the total rent due for the house? And likewise with the deposit paid? Bearing in mind that this will be my own personal rent book rather than one for the entire house. I appreciate that a rent book is just a fancy ledger, but the section on 'Name(s) of tenants' has kind of thrown me, and I would appreciate some information in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I'm renting a house along with 4 other tenants. So far we've been paying the rent to the landlord in cash, for which he is giving us a carbon copy receipt, however I'm looking to fill out a rent book just to have a more officially receipt of rent paid. With regards recording the rent paid in the rent book, should the amount of rent payable monthly I fill in be the amount I personally pay (1/5 of the total rent), or will this be the total rent due for the house? And likewise with the deposit paid? Bearing in mind that this will be my own personal rent book rather than one for the entire house. I appreciate that a rent book is just a fancy ledger, but the section on 'Name(s) of tenants' has kind of thrown me, and I would appreciate some information in this regard. Thanks in advance.

I've heard anecdotally that banks are not accepting rent books as historic proof of payments anymore. There is no reason not to be paying your rent electronically via standing orders or bank transfers.

If you're looking to build up a good history for a loan/mortgage application then you and your landlord need to get with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Eldarion wrote: »
    I've heard anecdotally that banks are not accepting rent books as historic proof of payments anymore. There is no reason not to be paying your rent electronically via standing orders or bank transfers.

If you're looking to build up a good history for a loan/mortgage application then you and your landlord need to get with the times.

Thanks for the reply. The main reason I'm interested in getting set up with a rent book is for proof of rent expenditure in applying for a medical card, for which the HSE will accept a rent book as proof. I appreciate that the HSE would also accept a copy of a bank statement, but I figured that this would be handier than setting up a standing order or equivilant as the other tenants will be paying monthly in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I know it was irrelevant to the OP, but you are right - our landlord refused bank transfer and collected cash Poof went our chances of getting a mortgage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

This is correct paying rent via a bank is more ideal, I was renting for over 2.5 years and paid cash for 2 years of that when we went to go for a mortgage the banks would not even look at us so we had to do 6 months of paying through the bank to prove we could afford X amount.

Advertisement