Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water - some general queries

Options
  • 03-11-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this topic, but I've a few small queries regarding the upcoming water charges as I haven't had a chance to send in the form yet (apologies if they've been asked 100s of times before)...

- My property is now metered, will the charge in January be based on my actual usage or the flat-rate one (have they decided yet)?

- Does the free-allowance increase for every adult (i.e. exclude under 17s) you add, or is it 30,000 litres regardless if you are alone, or have 30 people in the house?

- Following on from point 1, if there is a flat-rate free: is it cheaper to enter "1 person" instead of "2"? I'm potentially going to be having someone moving in around Dec, but this isn't certain.
    From what I can tell using the Irish Water website calculator, it's cheaper to enter "1 person".

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Q1 Metered usage but if you use over the average capped amount you'll be invoiced for that instead

Q2 30,000 litres regardless of how many adults in the household

Q3 You will pay a higher fee per litre of water used over your allowance than the litre fee under the flat rate.

BTW all your questions can be answered on www.water.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Meathlass wrote: »
    Q3 You will pay a higher fee per litre of water used over your allowance than the litre fee under the flat rate.

I re-read what you posted, so if I enter 1 person, or enter 2 people... it won't make a difference to charge?

mrcheez wrote: »
    I re-read what you posted, so if I enter 1 person, or enter 2 people... it won't make a difference to charge?

For 1 person you'll pay €175 flat rate and for two people you'll pay €278 flat rate. After that the rate is 2.44c per m3. I presume it'll work out cheaper to put down 2 people as you'll pay less per additional unit used. If you only put down 1 your flat rate is lower but all your additional units used will be at the higher costs.

If you have a metre can you not just check what you've used so far and estimate your monthly usage from that to give you an idea of which option would be best for you.

For 1 person you'll pay €175 flat rate and for two people you'll pay €278 flat rate. After that the rate is 2.44c per m3. I presume it'll work out cheaper to put down 2 people as you'll pay less per additional unit used. If you only put down 1 your flat rate is lower but all your additional units used will be at the higher costs.

If you have a metre can you not just check what you've used so far and estimate your monthly usage from that to give you an idea of which option would be best for you.

ah cool thanks for the clarification.

Yes I took a photo of the meter reading about 2 months ago so good idea to check it now as well

Just so I'm clear. As I'm metered will I be paying a flat rate as well as a variable rate based on usage?

Is this correct...

- Flat rate if usage up to average (is that the 30,000 litre figure?)
    - Variable rate for all usage over the average

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I presume it'll work out cheaper to put down 2 people as you'll pay less per additional unit used. If you only put down 1 your flat rate is lower but all your additional units used will be at the higher costs.

I'm confused, how will additional units be at a higher cost, there is just one set rate of 2.44 per m^3 it is not dependant on the number of people in house nor does the allowance vary with number of adults.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I'm confused, how will additional units be at a higher cost, there is just one set rate of 2.44 per m^3 it is not dependant on the number of people in house nor does the allowance vary with number of adults.

The allowance (30,000) doesn't vary with the number of adults in the house but the flat rate charge does. It's 178 for one person, 275 for two etc. Once you go over the average which they are capping the rates at the additional charge per unit is 2.44. I'm sure I read somewhere that this worked out at more than the units which are covered under the flat rate charges.

I heard today though on the radio that they are going to continue capping the bill until 2016

unless my math is completely wrong I still think this works out as cheaper by entering "1 person" instead of "2"

example...

- First 30,000 litre = €178 (1 person) ... €275 (2 people)

- Additional water used is 100 units = €244 (1 person) ... €244 (2 people)

TOTAL COST if entering "1 person" on sign-up form: €178 + €244 = €422

TOTAL COST if entering "2 people" on sign-up form: €275 + €244 = €519

Am I wrong here??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The price is capped at MAX 176 for a one-adult household, during the initial 9 month period of "assessed charges"

Two adults = 176 + 102 = 278 MAX.

OK but my calculations above will still be relevant as the only consequence of increasing number of people on form appears to be a LARGER bottom line cost.

What's to stop couples putting down 1 person and then if an inspection is carried out the 2nd person skips out to the shops?

• Advertisement

Anyway it seems they might be changing things around.. so wait to see what happens and I'll fill out form accordingly next week :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1103/656467-irish-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 railwaylad

For Jaysus F-in sake what in gods name is going on, just watch the news and some Fine-Gael dude in a suit that's 2 sizes too small for him is going but but but but er er er er er
    more changes changes changes changes changes.

Will you just send me a f-in bill €200 a year and get lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1 littleliz

Hi there, so sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm totally new at this posting on forums craic :) Do any of you know if its "legal" for a landlord to give out your PPS number, to Irish Water, without getting your consent? Landlord arrived over today with a PIN and application number, so only guessing he has gone and signed a contract on our behalf?!! Anyhoo if anyone has any advice would be awfully grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Trying to register on the site but not able to work. Suppose got til end of month to register

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

littleliz wrote: »
    Hi there, so sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm totally new at this posting on forums craic :) Do any of you know if its "legal" for a landlord to give out your PPS number, to Irish Water, without getting your consent? Landlord arrived over today with a PIN and application number, so only guessing he has gone and signed a contract on our behalf?!! Anyhoo if anyone has any advice would be awfully grateful!

try this site there is a landlord topic there that is talking about it (sorry but I can put a link to it for some reason) askaboutmoney.com

OR at the top of this page click on Accommodation & property and click on the irish water thrend its also been talk about there.

I did not take too much notice, but from what jumps out is Irish water have messed up big time there aswell

OK but my calculations above will still be relevant as the only consequence of increasing number of people on form appears to be a LARGER bottom line cost.

What's to stop couples putting down 1 person and then if an inspection is carried out the 2nd person skips out to the shops?

So, eh, by the looks of things it actually works out a lot cheaper to put down 1 person on the sign-up form.

I take it they've removed the requirement to enter PPSN now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

So, eh, by the looks of things it actually works out a lot cheaper to put down 1 person on the sign-up form.

I take it they've removed the requirement to enter PPSN now?

Yes i just downloaded the form on their website and there is no PPS section

Advertisement