Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A8 v i5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Simple answer; the cheapest.

Generally if you don't know then the lower end option is the right one, if you needed the power you'd know it essentially. The €529 toshiba will be more than adequate for any desktop usage like that for the forseeable future. To be honest you could probably pick up a laptop around the €450 mark that would do everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Cheers nibble, irrespective of the price though would the i5 be better? Company is paying for it so may as well go for the better one if I needed it in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

nibble wrote: »
    Simple answer; the cheapest.

Generally if you don't know then the lower end option is the right one, if you needed the power you'd know it essentially. The €529 toshiba will be more than adequate for any desktop usage like that for the forseeable future. To be honest you could probably pick up a laptop around the €450 mark that would do everything you need.

The lower end option is not always the best option. I see so many people buying really low end laptops that within 6 months are practically unusable if not out so of the box. They are slow and unresponsive and just painful to use. Now I'm not saying go spend 1000s on one but you'll get a much smoother experience from one that is slightly higher spec without breaking the bank. I am a real believer in buying quality. It'll generally cost a little bit more but generally it'll serve ya longer and be a better experience. In terms of those laptops they are gonna be more than enough for what you'll need the i5 will be slightly faster but it'll likely not be that noticable in day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

U_Fig wrote: »
    The lower end option is not always the best option. I see so many people buying really low end laptops that within 6 months are practically unusable if not out so of the box. They are slow and unresponsive and just painful to use. Now I'm not saying go spend 1000s on one but you'll get a much smoother experience from one that is slightly higher spec without breaking the bank. I am a real believer in buying quality. It'll generally cost a little bit more but generally it'll serve ya longer and be a better experience. In terms of those laptops they are gonna be more than enough for what you'll need the i5 will be slightly faster but it'll likely not be that noticable in day to day use.

The cheapest laptop linked has 8GB RAM and a modern quad core processor. The OP said he'd be using it for browsing the web, document editing and video playback. I think he's covered. Writing this on a 5 year old laptop with a Pentium T4200 and 3GB RAM, still runs Win7 and Fedora 20 perfectly.

That said if you're getting it payed for through work you might as well go with the i5, although you're probably not going to notice any difference in those usage scenarios.

Advertisement