Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor directory inquiries increase

Options
  • 03-11-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey everyone
    I just received the below text from meteor regarding a wholesale increase in directory inquiries charges.

Is this a change in my contract? Could I technically leave break out of my nearly finished contract without a penalty? Here is the info I was sent.

Service Notice: A number of Directory Enquiries service providers have recently increased their wholesale rates. As a result, Meteor will be increasing their customer published rates to reflect these increases in wholesale charging. This does not affect your contract. For details of these new published rates please go to http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/other-charges/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Why do you think this would let you break your contract?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If a wholesale provider changes its prices then this is beyond meteors control and in reality meteor are changing nothing.... The wholesale provider is.

No, your contract still stands with meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's been covered in a previous thread .

Short answer is NO

Meteor hasn't increased there price a third party is increased the the charges for its service, out of meteor , Three .Vodafone hands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

O2 sent be a similar text but saying I can cancel my account without penalty if I wished.

Just don't use Directory Enquiries unless its an emergency.

Think 11811 is cheapest now afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

People still use directory enquiries?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Surely the terms and conditions of my contract have been changed? If the wholesale price has changed should meteor not take the hit until a new contract has been signed? I would think that the contract States call Charges including directory inquiries.

If this has happened with 02 and they gave the customers the opportunity to leave there contract without penalty then meteor would be obliged to offer the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gramo wrote: »
    Surely the terms and conditions of my contract have been changed? If the wholesale price has changed should meteor not take the hit until a new contract has been signed? I would think that the contract States call Charges including directory inquiries.

If this has happened with 02 and they gave the customers the opportunity to leave there contract without penalty then meteor would be obliged to offer the same!

Looks like you are just looking for any excuse to break the contract. But this isn't it! Have you read the terms of your contract? This third party price increase does not affect it. Be honest, do you use this directory service anyway?

Looks like you are just looking for any excuse to break the contract. But this isn't it! Have you read the terms of your contract? This third party price increase does not affect it. Be honest, do you use this directory service anyway?

No I don't but its the principle. My contract expires in Jan so i'm not looking for any excuse but I think the terms and conditions have been broken. I wonder if I can get a copy of my contract from meteor and check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wonder if I can get a copy of my contract from meteor and check.

Ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

No I don't but its the principle. My contract expires in Jan so i'm not looking for any excuse but I think the terms and conditions have been broken. I wonder if I can get a copy of my contract from meteor and check.

There is no principle here. The changes affect a non-essential, premium rate 3rd party company that is not include on your package or contact.

The change impacts all networks, so legally speaking you have no real right to break contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The problem is very simple really, the majority (I checked stats) of mobile phones in Ireland are smartphones now. So, the number of people who can Google whatever they want whenever they want is significantly higher than the number of people who can't.

I'd suspect the volume of calls to 118XX services is diminishing rapidly as a result and those companies have overheads so the rates have gone up.

Simple supply and demand economics really.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if there's only one DQ service or maybe none at all.

Kind of amusing really that the EU put so much effort into pushing it into being an open market and opening up those 118XXX codes in every country. Proved to be a very short lived business model really.

But since you don't have to call DQ services, they're not part of your package and they're third party (well, eircom does provide one but not as part of Meteor's packages) you basically don't have anything to complain about to Meteor. It's nothing to do with them and if you were to change provider, you'd find similar charges applied as they're 3rd party services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Hey everyone
    I just received the below text from meteor regarding a wholesale increase in directory inquiries charges.

Is this a change in my contract? Could I technically leave break out of my nearly finished contract without a penalty? Here is the info I was sent.

Service Notice: A number of Directory Enquiries service providers have recently increased their wholesale rates. As a result, Meteor will be increasing their customer published rates to reflect these increases in wholesale charging. This does not affect your contract. For details of these new published rates please go to http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/other-charges/

Simple answer NO.

Directory enquiries is a third party SERVICE - you engage that service by calling a well flagged PREMIUM rate number. The cost or operation of that service is not controlled in any way by Meteor. They probably don't even need to inform you of the change in price.

Put it in a simpler term - its like blaming the bank for an increase in Tesco price because you use your debit card there.

Points well noted guys..

Advertisement