Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

American ipad charger (need Irish plug)

• 03-11-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I bought a new ipad last month in the US but obviously i have an american connection on the 12w charger. My only option seems to be buying a whole new 12w power adapter which is €19 on apple store with €7 delivery.

There seems to be a lot of fake apple assessories doing the rounds online so i dont want to risk buying something "genuine" off ebay that will fry my ipad.

Is there any issue using an universal plug adaptor with the american plug? or is there anywhere i can buy an official apple UK/Irish plug to fit into the 12w charger.

Thanks,

Jones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The travel adapter kit on the apple site will have the plug part not sure of cost though. If you have a Mac the plug that comes with it fits it. Use it myself as bought mine in the us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah i saw that mate but its even more expensive than buying the new charger. I was just hoping for a cheaper alternative. I thought apple would sell the Irish plug for the power adapter seperately but they dont seem to (or at least i cant find it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Just buy the travel adapter in dunnes for €6 and that will sort you out. I have 2 iPads both bought in the US and got 2 a adapters and both work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

This is all you need is it? http://m.ebay.ie/itm/171501719501?nav=SEARCH
    I would be wary of fakes when it comes to chargers as well, but the part you need doesn't actually have any electronics/transformer in it (for that you use the orginal part from the US charger) this is just a piece of plastic with 2 wires, not much that can go wrong I think (I'm open to correction).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Is the charger one if those small little cube ones ?
    This is hard to explain without a picture, but you can slide out / disconnect the small part with the two U.S. prongs. The you will see a small socket that you can plug a bog standard cable into. I.e. Like the normal power lead on a TV or loads of other appliances. Guaranteed you have a load of them lying around the house. You do not need to buy a new Apple charger. As I said, hard to explain without a picture.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-10W-A1357-US-EU-AU-UK-Plug-Power-Adapter-For-iPad-2-3-4-5/1182393_1730843838.html

This picture might help show what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just get a US to UK adapter in Tesco or wherever. €5 job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP you can buy them in Arnotts if your in Dublin for €19.

Thanks folks for all the replies,

Yeah i have the 12w power adapter that can be split into two the american plug on the top right and can be pulled off. Problem is the connection to the main "brick" isnt like pictures linked above its kind of a clip that holds the UK/US plug in place. I've attached a generic picture to show the 12w power adapter.

Basically i was looking for confirmation that any bog standard travel adapter will work without any adverse effects to the ipad and i think you've all answered me. At some point i will get a real charger i'm just surprised Apple dont sell the UK/IRL plug seperately (i'm not talking about the 5w plug you can use to charge the iphone).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply much appreicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I had the very same issue as you OP, I discovered that a normal plug you might use on your saorview box are other boxes in the house like the link below. If you don't have one there easily got in any electronic store.

Picture of plug*

*Image to big to insert in thread apologies.

Do you mean rewire the plug to fit in the apple adapter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

glineli wrote: »
    Just buy the travel adapter in dunnes for €6 and that will sort you out. I have 2 iPads both bought in the US and got 2 a adapters and both work fine
    Just get a US to UK adapter in Tesco or wherever. €5 job done.

Don't see the complication here. Advice above, and you are sorted OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

jones wrote: »
    Do you mean rewire the plug to fit in the apple adapter?

No the figure of 8 or two pin plug with fit into the slot with no need to rewire anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No the figure of 8 or two pin plug with fit into the slot with no need to rewire anything

Exactly what shanec1928 said,Just stick the conenction down where the apple plug would usually go.

Ahhh i see said the blind man i never copped onto that.

Cool thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Years ago I bought Apple's World Travel Adaptor kit. Works all over, been very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Folks,

I bought a new ipad last month in the US but obviously i have an american connection on the 12w charger. My only option seems to be buying a whole new 12w power adapter which is €19 on apple store with €7 delivery.

There seems to be a lot of fake apple assessories doing the rounds online so i dont want to risk buying something "genuine" off ebay that will fry my ipad.

Is there any issue using an universal plug adaptor with the american plug? or is there anywhere i can buy an official apple UK/Irish plug to fit into the 12w charger.

Thanks,

Jones

So you spend $500 on a new iPad but won't spend €19 on a charger from Apple, that is guaranteed to charge your device properly, and not risk damaging it?!

Even a lightning cable isn't just a cable, it has a chip in it that regulates the charging so the battery is charged the right way and will cut the power input down when it's charged.

Spend the money and protect your device.

Well i'm actually using the charger that came with the ipad not sure how that would be damaging it? I found a UK plug that fits into the power adapter which is the important part to ensure the correct current is going to the device.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Well i'm actually using the charger that came with the ipad not sure how that would be damaging it? I found a UK plug that fits into the power adapter which is the important part to ensure the correct current is going to the device.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

Will buying this work http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171501719501 and not damage it?

brijay wrote: »
    Will buying this work http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171501719501 and not damage it?

Should be fine the power convertor is the important part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup charge your iPad with a plug bought on eBay for the price of a latte.

Sends shivers down my spine TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yup charge your iPad with a plug bought on eBay for the price of a latte.

Sends shivers down my spine TBH.

He's perfectly ok with that eBay plug, all it does it connect the mains socket to the figure of 8 connector in the charger, it's functionally identical to this item....

fig8uk18.jpg

The iPad charger consists of two distinct parts, the plug which is a simple connection and the charger itself which does the conversion. Buying a plug on eBay is no different to buying a travel adapter in Dunnes Stores for your next trip to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Still, it doesn't sit well me TBH, like each to their own but if I spend X amount of money on something I'm going to charge it with official components. I have the Apple travel kit so I'm covered where ever I go. I have various US/IE official apple plugs too so I'm grand when going to the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

coylemj wrote: »
    He's perfectly ok with that eBay plug, all it does it connect the mains socket to the figure of 8 connector in the charger, it's functionally identical to this item....

figure-8-mains-power-cable.jpg

The iPad charger consists of two distinct parts, the plug which is a simple connection and the charger itself which does the conversion. Buying a plug on eBay is no different to buying a travel adapter in Dunnes Stores for your next trip to the US.

Yep I have the other part from apple it's just the 3 pin plug I needed

Advertisement