Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil

Options
  • 03-11-2014 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Last week I got a quote €386 for 500ltrs of Kerosene today when I called to order I was quoted €398. Has world oil prices suddenly risen again? or is it just that time of the year when prices increase with demand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you're in the Isle of Man, posting on an Irish website is not going to get you the answer you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shop around it is that time of year as you said they will increase as demand is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

If you're in the Isle of Man, posting on an Irish website is not going to get you the answer you are looking for.
    So I should order my home heating oil in the IOM for my Mother's house in Wexford?

Shop around it is that time of year as you said they will increase as demand is there
    I did shop around and that was the cheapest I could find. Most suppliers are around €400/€420 mark. Seems mad when Oil prices are at an alltime low.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1000litres prob cheaper as costs higher smaller amounts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Wexford.aspx

Campus oil listed at 384? may not be near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did shop around and that was the cheapest I could find. Most suppliers are around €400/€420 mark. Seems mad when Oil prices are at an alltime low.:mad:

Oil prices are twice what they were a few years ago - this is not an all time low by any means.

Prices vary day by day, everywhere. Everywhere was well over 400 a few months ago, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MYOB wrote: »
    Oil prices are twice what they were a few years ago - this is not an all time low by any means.

Prices vary day by day, everywhere. Everywhere was well over 400 a few months ago, though.

Oil is not twice what it was a few years ago. Nov 2011 was 832 per 1000, today 778.

dobsdave wrote: »
    http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Wexford.aspx

Campus oil listed at 384? may not be near you.
    Thanks for that they appear to be the cheapest ☺

MYOB wrote: »

I still feel we're being ripped off - I read somewhere that people are not buying oil like they used to and are instead swapping over to solid fuel. So why so many oil distributors? must be very lucrative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

was quoted 425euro about a month ago. Waited a few weeks and got it last week for 390euro

500l kerosene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can view price trends here.
    http://www.cheapestoil.ie/articles/trend.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oil is not twice what it was a few years ago. Nov 2011 was 832 per 1000, today 778.

Consumer kerosene prices != "oil prices", not generally and particularly not in the context that was quoted.

Crude oil is still twice what it was a few years ago. Add higher taxation to that and that's why prices aren't as low as people seem to believe they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

in 2009 oil was $40/barrel.

Prices will fluctuate weekly.

Cost of a litre of raw oil at present is about 43c (barrel = $85, exchange rate 1.25, 159 litres in barrel)

Then it has to be refined -

Its easy to refine about 35% of raw oil into diesel/kerosene and about 40% into petrol.

However in the winter, demand for kerosene / diesel rises substantially (more trucks on road, home heating and electricity generation) over this level so kerosene/diesel has to be "made" and this is far more costly than the normal refining process.

On average, refining costs and delivery to port can cost up to 8c a litre. - running total 51c

Then add in distributor/retail margin of about 11c. - running total 62c

Then add in carbon duty of 5c - running total 68c

Add 13.5% vat 77.2c - thus you come to about €772 per 1000 litres

You'll find there will be extra delivery charge for smaller quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Recently purchased 500 Ltrs of Kerosene for €390, same amount bought in Sept 2013 was €445

Advertisement