Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse board moved - new esb tails reqd?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

A couple of years (~2007) back an electrician mate moved and installed a new consumer unit for us. The original cable from the esb meter wasn't long enough so he used a hefty junction box and I think 16sq cable about 3m additional length to extend it. My question is now is this deemed acceptable or must new tails be installed from the CU? The junction box is hidden in a plasterboard wall.

cheers,
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Thanks for that. Was this standard practice a few years ago??

Roughly how much would it cost me to get a REC to fit ~10m proper cable from the ESB meter to the fuse board with all circuits tested etc? Is it as simple as that or do I need to involve ESB networks? Appreciate if somebody could explain the process. The house is a standard 3 bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

the box is inaccessible which isn't allowed

I'm not aware of a regulation that says tails can't be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

the box is inaccessible which isn't allowed

I'm not aware of a regulation that says tails can't be extended

but is there a rule that the jb must be accessable

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

frankmul wrote: »
    but is there a rule that the jb must be accessable

There is a rule that all connections should be accessible so this would apply to a junction box. If they are not accessible then special means should be made to prevent loosening. You would have to know how cable was originally jointed to interoperate the rule appropriately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

connections should be accessible unless they are a maintenance free type such as a resin joint

under floorboards is considered accessible but the location should preferably be marked

a commercial type false ceiling with tiles would be accessible ,the void inside a domestic dropped ceiling (screwed to a metal frame ceiling grid)wouldn't be

hidden inside a partition or drylined wall isn't accessible

connections should be accessible unless they are a maintenance free type such as a resin joint

under floorboards is considered accessible but the location should preferably be marked

a commercial type false ceiling with tiles would be accessible ,the void inside a domestic dropped ceiling (screwed to a metal frame ceiling grid)wouldn't be

Agreed....if joint is crimped then it could be allowed...not ideal but allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I see the regulation on "connections made in suitable boxes located under floorboard are deemed to be accessible" but realistically I wouldn't consider them readily accessible at all if it requires removing flooring or tiling.

What would the process be for a REC to replace with a new cable to the ESB meter. Presumably ESB do the meter end of things? I am just wondering how best to get this fixed and roughly what cost I would be looking at.

bibibobo wrote: »
    I see the regulation on "connections made in suitable boxes located under floorboard are deemed to be accessible" but realistically I wouldn't consider them readily accessible at all if it requires removing flooring or tiling.

What would the process be for a REC to replace with a new cable to the ESB meter. Presumably ESB do the meter end of things? I am just wondering how best to get this fixed and roughly what cost I would be looking at.

Removing floors and tiles would be considered inacessable that's why the regulation states 'Floorboards' - because these can be lifted (although risk of damage to floorboard could be an issue i.e timber splitting). A inspection panel in the ceiling below could be an option.

ESB do not need to connect tails if the metesr 'Load' side is unsealed (by ESB) and accessible (then sealed) by the contractor (sometimes this is the case)

It is hard to put a price on it depending on ease of cable run etc....ESB will charge for connection if they have to make connection and reseal meter - depending on supply type etc

Best thing to do is get 3 quotations to give you an idea, registered contractors can be found here:

http://www.reci.ie/

http://www.ecssa.ie/

Advertisement