Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishy smell off Dogs Breath

• 03-11-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭

Is this any cause for concern?
    Hes in perfect form and doing nothing unusual but his breath has a stinking fish like odour. We give him a pedigree dentastick which helps a little but wears off after a while

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Stupid question, has the dog been eating anything fishy or licking his bits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

scudzilla wrote: »
    Stupid question, has the dog been eating anything fishy or licking his bits?
    No we never feed him fish for the last few years since a bone nearly killed him. Im not sure about the other question but I never notice him doing it any more than all dogs do. When he's sitting on my lap or lying beside me its just like being in a harbour when the days catch is being brought in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What do you feed him?

muddypaws wrote: »
    What do you feed him?

Pedigree kibble with an odd bit of human food mixed in. People always berate Pedigree food but he'll be 15 in January so thats not changing now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is going to seem like a silly question, but are you certain the smell is from his mouth? :eek::)
    I assume we're not talking a strong version of normal dog breath here, no?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I had great success with Plague Off. I got it in Cruft's this year. You only use a tiny amount of it and it really does keep their teeth in good condition and improves the doggy breath situation. Definitely make sure the smell is off her breath though and maybe mention it at her next vet check up.

DBB wrote: »
    This is going to seem like a silly question, but are you certain the smell is from his mouth? :eek::)
    I assume we're not talking a strong version of normal dog breath here, no?!

Maybe it is just typical dog breath but I'm rarely as close to other dogs as I am to him so its hard to compare. I am pretty sure it'd from his mouth. Every morning he stands on my chest when he wakes up so it goes right into my face!
    Are the Dentasticks just a waste of money in terms of their teeth? He loves them anyway is it doesn't make much difference

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Maybe it is just typical dog breath but I'm rarely as close to other dogs as I am to him so its hard to compare. I am pretty sure it'd from his mouth. Every morning he stands on my chest when he wakes up so it goes right into my face!
    Are the Dentasticks just a waste of money in terms of their teeth? He loves them anyway is it doesn't make much difference

Fishy smells are often associated with infected anal glands, which I'm thinking might be getting expressed with the excitement of seeing you, and/or physically when he jumps up on you... the smell is extremely pervasive and quick, and older dogs tend to lose control of the glands more easily! So I'm wondering does it seem to be coming from his mouth, but isn't?
    Dentastix have been shown to be no more effective than dry food, which is a little more effective than tinned food, but neither are as effective as bones, nylabones, kong toys etc. Dentastix are also very calorific, high in fat and cereals, and in my experience at least play a very big role in older dogs gaining too much weight. I know he's old but I'd be opting for low-fat natural meat products like tripe sticks, or other dried meats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My dog occasionally has 'anal gland issues' and he licks his bum and it makes his breath honk - hence one of his nicknames 'stinky bum breath' - catchy huh?!

My point being, check if his anal glands needs to be squeezed or expressed or whatever they call it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭patmac

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    My dog occasionally has 'anal gland issues' and he licks his bum and it makes his breath honk - hence one of his nicknames 'stinky bum breath' - catchy huh?!

My point being, check if his anal glands needs to be squeezed or expressed or whatever they call it
    How do you do this as I have a dog that occasionally lets of this smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

patmac wrote: »

There are online tutorial videos showing you how to do it, but we take our dog to the vet as I wouldn't like to risk it plus it really stinks once it is squeezed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If you imagine the dogs bum as a clock, the glands are locates and 4 and 8 o clock. So what you do it put on gloves, (Goggles, apron, hazmat suit, whatever you like :P ) get a good bit of lubricant eg vaseline, insert a finger, you'll feel a little pea sized lump, hold it between your finger and thumb and basically 'milk' it out. And for the love of god keep your mouth shut!!!! :pac: Though if you're any way squeamish it's best left to a vet or groomer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭patmac

If you imagine the dogs bum as a clock, the glands are locates and 4 and 8 o clock. So what you do it put on gloves, (Goggles, apron, hazmat suit, whatever you like :P ) get a good bit of lubricant eg vaseline, insert a finger, you'll feel a little pea sized lump, hold it between your finger and thumb and basically 'milk' it out. And for the love of god keep your mouth shut!!!! :pac: Though if you're any way squeamish it's best left to a vet or groomer!
    She's going for her shots soon we will let the vet do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Oh forgot to mention. Our dog gets this a lot.

The vet recommended putting bran on top of his food as it bulks up their stools (for the want of a better word) and helps the glands empty themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Mother of GOD I wouldn't go anywhere near that area!!! And my husbands a farmer and neither would he!!! Vet or groomer can take care of that issue for you, you will know if your dogs anal glands need doing as the smell is like something from another galaxy plus there's usually a bit of leakage where they've been sitting/lying.

I'm glad I had my dinner earlier today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not me. And I'm trained to do them!! My dog used to have terrible trouble with them when he was a pup. Vet recommended psyllium husk sprinkled on his food. Since then - he's only had them emptied once.

My wallet couldn't take the E70 hit every time he had to have it done. And the dog's howls of agony aren't something I could cope with.

Advertisement