Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning second item

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on a bewildering problem. I bought a Dell laptop in August for €1200, it arrived faulty after going missing for 3 weeks and they eventually attempted a repair which didn't work.

No problem they replaced the laptop with another which had exactly the same problem. They refused to replace again (its their policy apparently) but agreed to repair and this time the repair worked.

The issue is I now have two laptops. I have emailed 4 times and rang on 5 separate occasions to try and return it and despite being told its being elevated to the highest levels, no one wants to collect it or arrange a collection to get it back. I offered to drop it to the depo of the company Dell use but was told this is not possible and that I will be rang the next day with a collection date(has happened a silly number of times).

My question is how long do I have to hold onto it for before I can just recycle/donate it somewhere? its in the way and I don't want to be responsible for it getting damaged over time etc. I'm not looking to sell it or anything but it seems clear they have no intention of ever collecting it so someone may aswel get use from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I don't know if the laptop is technically unsolicited goods (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0047.html) but I would treat it as such.
    I suggest you email them again and inform them that the laptop is available for collection and that if they fail to collect within 30 calendar days you will consider the laptop to be an unconditional gift. Don't forget to provide the model and serial number of the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Yes I considered that but wasn't sure if it counted as unsolicited goods, its a strange situation tbh as it has considerable value!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I don't know if the laptop is technically unsolicited goods (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0047.html) but I would treat it as such.
    I suggest you email them again and inform them that the laptop is available for collection and that if they fail to collect within 30 calendar days you will consider the laptop to be an unconditional gift. Don't forget to provide the model and serial number of the laptop.

IIRC email isn't considered valid communication so you need to write a letter or send a fax, digital signatures aren't recognised

Advertisement