Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curry my yoghurt!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you could support SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you could support SF

O Haha. Well done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

yes, but some represenatives speak as gaelige constantly knowing damn well others in the assembly haven't got a clue what they're saying...now is that right?

I never saw what they get up to.But I believed they were just saying hello every body and that was it.If they talk in Irish a lot maybe they should not be doing that as it is unfair to people who cant use the lingo.

I assume the red poppy would be upsetting to Shinners too as people were shot dead during bloody Sunday but that is another story.You see one side wearing the Poppy and then go over to the other side of the room and no one wears them.Respect is just not there yet for people who are different up the North yet.Maybe someday fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Try some yoghurt/curry pie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And he is refusing to say sorry for his comments.

Good to see progress being made up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I'm unfortunately going to go with they whole "we may not like it,but he has a right to say it" spiel.

Met him in person,and he is a truely unlikable man,with a real disdain for Irish people,heck,I've met ex-UDA men who were a hellava lot more willing to reach across the divide that him.

Oh yeah....... Homestead,homestead- egg shocked kunt-ee (ag teacht chun ti)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If he is not willing to engage and work with his fellow elected members of Stormfront up the North he should resign.People have to respect his Orange marches so he can let people speak the Irish language after all they are Irish and are only saying hello!!.Live and let live.Dinosaurs like him will someday be a distant memory if the majority up there get their way.
    Think you've got that a wee bit wrong buddy.

IwasFrozen I spell it like that as the place is bigoted like Stormfront the forum.It was a joke. :P

IwasFrozen I spell it like that as the place is bigoted like Stormfront the forum.It was a joke. :P
    lol fair enough, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Would have been hilarious if she were able to give a full answer to his question as gaeilge and see how he reacted

The sniggering wee boys at the back of the class were as bad but would any of them have had the balls to curry anyones yoghurt?

He's going to be on utv tonight to explain himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Gintonious wrote: »
    And he is refusing to say sorry for his comments.

Good to see progress being made up there.

Shameful behaviour to refuse to apologise.

He could at the very least have tweeted "Toblerone arm".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

He's going to be on utv tonight to explain himself

Least likely scenario:

Presenter: We're here with Mr Campbell, the idiot.

Campbell: Dia's Muire dhuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Shocking stuff. Really frightening how much contempt exists up there.

Shameful behaviour to refuse to apologise.

He could at the very least have tweeted "Toblerone arm".

:confused: wha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

:confused: wha

Ta bron orm.

If it was a Chinese man or African he was mocking he would be called racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Unionists hit rock bottom long ago and are now drilling to go even lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I reckon he would have got away with it if he hadn't thrown in the word "coca". I've heard worse mispronunciations in my time from genuine people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Northern Irish politics, is there anything more frustratingly depressing?

Round & round we go in an infinite circle of pretty nonsense.

Meanwhile the UK and the Republic of Ireland get on with actual politics and economics and move further and further away from those positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Ah we're being very unfair on Mr Campbell.

He just didn't understand the sit ye asian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

the UK does NOT have a bilingual policy (other than Wales) so there should be no place for Irish, Ulster Scots, Mandarin, Polish or Africaans, or any language other than English.

Nonsense. The Irish Language goes back thousands of years both north and south. This is recognised by the fact that Irish is a protected minority language in the UK under EU charter.

Last week my Mrs was talking to a guy who was governor of a state (ie not Catholic) primary school.

when Caitríona Ruane was in charge of education, they had a meeting with her about her plans to cut funding.

she would only speak Irish.

This 'guy who was governor of a state (ie not Catholic) primary school' if he actually exists, was lying to you. What you described above never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

GaelMise wrote: »
    This 'guy who was governor of a state (ie not Catholic) primary school' if he actually exists, was lying to you. What you described above never happened.

I would have to say that that was my thought exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Heard the comment and his piece on the Nolan show on the bbc after. I just cant fathom how these sorts of people cant see how far they are off the mark!

On the plus side, Campbell (Gaelic: Cam Beal, crooked mouth, pretty apt!), Frazer and co do much more harm than good to the unionist argument. Let them off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Chucky Orla

Chucky Orlav.

In his defence, he was Ukranian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

He's pathetic. It's shameful that people like him and Paisley were continuously returned to office by the unionist electorate.

Before the 'whatabouthem'uns' brigade pipe up the DUP were formed to prevent a deal with nationalists and to split the Unionist vote long before SF were even on the political radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I can't help but feel that someone (Failte Ireland?) should gift him with an all expenses paid 3 week trip to the Gaeltacht to learn Irish, in light of his recent interest in the language...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Karl Stein wrote: »
    He's pathetic. It's shameful that people like him and Paisley were continuously returned to office by the unionist electorate.

Before the 'whatabouthem'uns' brigade pipe up the DUP were formed to prevent a deal with nationalists and to split the Unionist vote long before SF were even on the political radar.

I agree that it is pathetic but is it anymore pathetic than the ongoing deification of Adams and Co?

‘Curry my yoghurt’ DUP MP says he would treat Irish Language Act ‘like toilet paper’

http://www.thejournal.ie/gregory-campbell-toilet-paper-1794090-Nov2014/
    THE DUP POLITICIAN who mocked the Irish language earlier this month has said he would treat a proposed Irish Language Act “as no more than toilet paper”.
    Gregory Campbell made the comments at the DUP conference in Belfast and was also applauded for holding up a pot of yoghurt to the delegates, a reference to earlier controversial comments.

Just what NI needs, another tool to drive a wedge between the communities!

What a horrible person.

• Advertisement

‘Curry my yoghurt’ DUP MP says he would treat Irish Language Act ‘like toilet paper’

Just what NI needs, another tool to drive a wedge between the communities!
    Why must Irish always be assumed a "communities" issue. A person can be against an Irish language act and pro united Ireland.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why must Irish always be assumed a "communities" issue. A person can be against an Irish language act and pro united Ireland.
    As he is a member of the DUP I think that in this case that's very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I agree that it is pathetic but is it anymore pathetic than the ongoing deification of Adams and Co?
    Wow, whataboutery even in response to a post which included the disclaimer "Before the 'whatabouthem'uns' brigade pipe up the DUP were formed to prevent a deal with nationalists and to split the Unionist vote long before SF were even on the political radar"!
    :pac:

This thread isn't about Adams and co., it is about Gregory Campbell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Gregory is spot on and to be applauded, a seat of British local government is no place to air republican sectarianism in the form of this gobblety gook lingo.

Simply another trouble-stirring stunt from our Armani clad terrorists in Stormont.

If certain elements want to follow this then pursue it as a hobby or take it up at night-school or whatever - not use it as a tool to inflame and incite their fellow countrymen.

loughside wrote: »
    Gregory is spot on and to be applauded,

Na, he's an ignorant bigot.
    a seat of British local government

It's not Britain. Britain is the island to the east of Ireland. It's a UK jurisdiction called Northern Ireland. Did you not learn this in primary school?
    is no place to air republican sectarianism in the form of this gobblety gook lingo.

What exactly is Republican sectarianism and how does speaking Irish 'air' it. You're the one spouting gobbledygook.
    Simply another trouble-stirring stunt from our Armani clad terrorists in Stormont.

You should go to the PSNI if you think there are terrorists in Stormont. I suspect the only place there are terrorists is in your head.
    not use it as a tool to inflame and incite their fellow countrymen.

I know it sticks in the craw for ignorant bigots like Campbell but he'll just have to suck it up. Irish is spoken in Stormont and will continue to be while Irish people sit there.

The Orange state is turning green.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

What happens when you get a red card?

Don Kedick wrote: »
    What happens when you get a red card?

You have to go to the Boards.ie offices and wash the dishes.

You have to go to the Boards.ie offices and wash the dishes.

Oh, loughside wont like that. Washing Irish cutlery, hopefully he wont have to dry them with the tricolour tea towel.

Na, he's an ignorant bigot..... Blah... Blah!!!!!

LOL, don`t get yerself worked up intil a state now.. :D

listen up to this fact..

"Irish is the main community and household language of 3% of the population of the Republic of Ireland[1] (which the census showed to be 4,581,269 in 2011).[2]"

now, when you went to primary school (did you??!!) that leaves 97% who spoke what ????

yes, you got it --> ENGLISH

.. take your time... ;)

• Advertisement

It's not Britain. Britain is the island to the east of Ireland. It's a UK jurisdiction called Northern Ireland. Did you not learn this in primary school?

Think ya tripped up a little bit there.

Loughside must love washing them dishes.

now, when you went to primary school (did you??!!) that leaves 97% who spoke what ????

yes, you got it --> ENGLISH

.. take your time... ;)

No not all of the 97%, some speak Polish or Russian, French, German, Urdu or one of the many other languages that recent migrants have brought with them.

Some even speak Ulster Scots.

Think ya tripped up a little bit there.

Britain is to the East of Ireland?

LOL, don`t get yerself worked up intil a state now.. :D

I'm quite calm.
    listen up to this fact..

Irrelevant. Why do you have a problem with people using Irish in Stormont?

No not all of the 97%, some speak Polish or Russian, French, German, Urdu or one of the many other languages that recent migrants have brought with them.

Some even speak Ulster Scots.

True, not all, but probably 99% of the remaining 97, and of course Ulster Scots isn`t a true language more of a dialect.

Have nothing against the Irish language at all, but to see it being used in government only as a tool to goad and inflame `the other side` by well dressed terrorists is disgusting and does nothing to promote it.

• Advertisement

the Irish language ... being used in government only as a tool to goad and inflame

How is using the Irish language goading? Afaia they use it in a ceremonial fashion, like in Dáil Éireann, and repeat what they say in English.

Are you aware that demand to learn Irish is soaring in East Belfast? The Irish language doesn't belong to Republicans.

Right, lets look at it this way. As the Irish language enjoys constitutional status as the national and first official language of ROI, why then is it not used exclusively in Dáil Éireann? Whats this foreign English lingo about then?

Simple - nobody can fully communicate in it.

Also if Campbell were a member in Dáil Éireann and started babbling on in UlsterScotch, something a very few understands, he would be looked upon as taking the pi$$, and rightfully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Gregory is spot on and to be applauded, a seat of British local government is no place to air republican sectarianism in the form of this gobblety gook lingo.

If certain elements want to follow this then pursue it as a hobby or take it up at night-school or whatever - not use it as a tool to inflame and incite their fellow countrymen.

I agree, we need less of the Leprechaun language heard within the halls of power. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

in the form of this gobblety gook lingo.
    ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I agree, we need less of the Leprechaun language heard within the halls of power. :)
    Debate the merits of the Irish language all you want, but keep it respectful. Posts like the above are trolling and bans will be handed out if people can't post without resorting to childish insults.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Debate the merits of the Irish language all you want, but keep it respectful. Posts like the above are trolling and bans will be handed out if people can't post without resorting to childish insults.

Mod, you`re missing the whole point, nothing to do with trolling,

there`s absolutely nothing wrong with any language be it Irish, English or whatever, but in this case it`s patently clear it`s use was primarily to agitate and inflame the unionist politicians.

Even the majority of the SF members can`t communicate in Irish let alone anyone else - so why use it??

Campbell was doing nothing more than poking fun back at SF and they know that,

yes... SF, offended by everything, ashamed of nothing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement