Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curry my yoghurt!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

What has south Armagh got to do with it.

Ach, surely jack, what indeed - nuthin much happens there ya know.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30170984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

loughside wrote: »
    Ach, surely jack, what indeed - nuthin much happens there ya know.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30170984

What's that to do with the poster or the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Firstly, I see you've dodged everything else I wrote and just gone with this. Nice one, no one will notice.
    Secondly, that happened in 2007 and frankly has nothing to do with me or south Armagh as a whole (pretty sure it actually happened in Monaghan) or the people of south Armagh as a whole or anything to do with this thread.
    Thirdly, tell me where youre from and well see how long it takes me to google a crime from that area and then claim everyone in a 20 mile radius is open to being tarred with the same brush.

Conversely, can you please tell me what is offensive and outrageous about an Irish member of an Irish parliament saying thank you in irish?

But in this case it was in a British parliament - you`ve gotta change that aul map in the hall jack lol!

But in this case it was in a British parliament - you`ve gotta change that aul map in the hall jack lol!

So I see completely avoiding the points raised when you have no response is your thing.

• Advertisement

What has the linked post below got to do with the poster or the thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93174591&postcount=155

Nodin wrote: »
    What has the linked post below got to do with the poster or the thread?

You want me to draw up a complete list of OT replies since this thread began??

No, didn`t think so - and if you insist then do it yourself.

I apologise if it offended your republican sensitivities

You want me to draw up a complete list of OT replies since this thread began??

You made a very specific reply. I want to know why you referenced what you did and why you brought it up in regard to that poster?

So I see completely avoiding the points raised when you have no response is your thing.

just pointing out your little errors jack ;)

or were you just acting the saft man ?!!

You made a very specific reply. I want to know why you referenced what you did and why you brought it up in regard to that poster?

check the other posts which made specific replies will you and interrogate them.... then come back.

you didn`t have a job in Castlereagh Holding Centre at one time did you btw??

• Advertisement

check the other posts which made specific replies will you and interrogate them.... then come back.

you didn`t have a job in Castlereagh Holding Centre at one time did you btw??

Why can't you answer a fairly straightforward pair of questions? Why did you make this post in relation to that poster and what does it have to do with the thread?

what part of post #164 don`t you understand??

what part of post #164 don`t you understand??

It's irrelevant.

Why did you make this post in relation to that poster and what does it have to do with the thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=155

Why can't you answer?

its totally relevant,

and i`m getting curious as to why a certain link offends and irritates you,

please explain why you are so uncomfortable

???

just pointing out your little errors jack ;)

or were you just acting the saft man ?!!

Ok, so you wont be addressing any of the points raised then, just attempting to bait people into a daft circular arguement?
    Good luck with that.

its totally relevant,

and i`m getting curious as to why a certain link offends and irritates you,

please explain why you are so uncomfortable

???

Because I don't see what has to with (a) the thread and (b) the poster. Could you answer now please?

Because I don't see what has to with (a) the thread and (b) the poster. Could you answer now please?

Could you please answer why this irritates and agitates you so much?

You could have asked the exact same question 10 pages back to other replies!!

So why now??

Lets all hear?!!

Could you please answer why this irritates and agitates you so much?

You could have asked the exact same question 10 pages back to other replies!!

So why now??

Lets all hear?!!

I've already explained myself. Why can't you answer? Whats wrong?

I've already explained myself. Why can't you answer? Whats wrong?

lol, fed up with the to and fro now, for some reason you don`t want to disclose...it just gonna be one of those unexplained mysteries then..

for an experienced poster like yourself noddy its reasonably obvious if you come at it from a neutral angle and re-read and observe,

calm down, go back and take yer time over it again.

lol, fed up with the to and fro now, for some reason you don`t want to disclose...it just gonna be one of those unexplained mysteries then..

for an experienced poster like yourself noddy its reasonably obvious if you come at it from a neutral angle and re-read and observe,

calm down, go back and take yer time over it again.

Why can't you answer?

Why did you pose that link to that poster and what has it to do with the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Actually this is a perfect example of how SF arent petty. They could have pushed a vote on the issue to get it taken down completely, which would have been the fair thing to do. Instead they compromised and merely reduced it to designated days. Ever been in Belfast City Hall, it's wall to wall with union flags and british insignia yet SF even compromised on this simple move. How was that compromise rewarded. Damn near a year of UUP/DUP/TUV stirring up the violent thugs in their communities and encouraging them to wreck the place.

It's a perfect example of pettiness. Let the Unionists have their damn flag. Why does it matter? SF poked loyalists with a stick and condemned the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Neither side in NI have a monopoly on tolerance.
    I dunno... Even Kevin Myers - THAT Kevin Myers - would concede hardline loyalism has a monopoly on intolerance.

My issue when threads go in this direction is not criticism of the IRA (murdering bastards), it's obsessive focus on republicans only - as if the Troubles = the IRA and no other element. And on top of it: downplaying/defending/supporting bigots like Gregory Campbell.

I think regardless of where you stand we can both aagree the right to mock a language is as important as the right to speak it.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I think regardless of where you stand we can both aagree the right to mock a language is as important as the right to speak it.
    It's unbecoming and unprofessional of a public representative to do so in the public domain (this shouldn't have to be pointed out, really) no matter what they represent - whether they're Enda Kenny, David Cameron, Gerry Adams or Gregory Campbell.
    Worse again, doing so to inflame.

So no, we can't both agree. I have my suspicions you wouldn't be supportive of an Irish elected representative taking the piss publicly out of Ulster Scots or Welsh.

It's unbecoming and unprofessional of a public representative to do so in the public domain (this shouldn't have to be pointed out, really) no matter what they represent - whether they're Enda Kenny, David Cameron, Gerry Adams or Gregory Campbell.
    Worse again, doing so to inflame.

So no, we can't both agree. I have my suspicions you wouldn't be supportive of an Irish elected representative taking the piss publicly out of Ulster Scots or Welsh.

That's a matter of opinion, an opinion you are free to hold as long as you respect the right of people to mock the language in public.

You can condemn a person for expressing an opinion you disagree with but you can never try to stop them without infringing on their freedom of speech, especially in the assembly where speakers are protected under Parliamentary Privilege.

Don't accuse others of trolling, if you have a problem with my post report it.

That's a matter of opinion, an opinion you are free to hold as long as you respect the right of people to mock the language in public.

You can condemn a person for expressing an opinion you disagree with but you can never try to stop them without infringing on their freedom of speech, especially in the assembly where speakers are protected under Parliamentary Privilege.
    Oh the "free speech when it suits" thing.

bit uncalled for that?

whats wrong with people/politicians having freedom of speech?

isn`t this a western democracy, Putin hasn`t got to this part of europe yet.

• Advertisement

whats wrong with people/politicians having freedom of speech?
    Well nobody is actually able to say absolutely whatever they like - if they were, it would be ok to, for instance, verbally abuse.
    But in those cases where people do say things that will provoke, others have the free speech to refute them.
    I don't accept Campbell should get a free pass just because he's a loyalist (I mean, that kinda IS what much of this boils down to) - it's not unreasonable to disagree with a politician - any politician - publicly sneering and being provocative at a particular language, and by extension, a particular group (Irish speakers).

Oh the "free speech when it suits" thing.
    I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to that. You made an unfounded and unsupported assumption. (For clarities sake the assumption being that I would react differently if another politician mocked the sound of another language). Which I ignored (because it was irrelevant) and now you're using that assumption to make an accusation that I'm not consistent (that I only support freedom of speech when it suits). Not before accusing me of trolling of course.

Your arguments are all over the place and you have no logical leg to stand on. Unless you're going to actually address the points I raised please don't waste my time with accusations of trolling and assumptions based on assumptions.

Your arguments are all over the place and you have no logical leg to stand on.
    What are you basing that on? Me disagreeing with you?
    Unless you're going to actual address the points I raised.
    But I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Ye know the rules regarding calling out trolls, please don't do it. Report in future.

What are you basing that on? Me disagreeing with you?
    No. I explained it in my post.

"I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to that. You made an unfounded and unsupported assumption. (For clarities sake the assumption being that I would react differently if another politician mocked the sound of another language). Which I ignored (because it was irrelevant) and now you're using that assumption to make an accusation that I'm not consistent (that I only support freedom of speech when it suits). Not before accusing me of trolling of course.

Your arguments are all over the place and you have no logical leg to stand on. Unless you're going to actually address the points I raised please don't waste my time with accusations of trolling and assumptions based on assumptions."
    But I did.
    You accused me of trolling and claimed that I only value freedom of speech sometimes based on an assumption that I would react differently of another politician mocked the sound of another language, please don't waste my time.

it's not unreasonable to disagree with a politician - any politician - publicly sneering and being provocative at a particular language, and by extension, a particular group (Irish speakers).

only imo the politician was sneering at the use of a language which in his opinion was for political purposes only, SF knowing full well it was unintelligible to the majority of the chamber.

btw just to bring things into context, no one was blown to pieces, hurt or severely injured by this incident.
    no one will be found in a bog years later,
    no one had to endure a vicious rape by terrorists because of this incident,

need i go on?

• Advertisement

btw just to bring things into context, no one was blown to pieces, hurt or severely injured by this incident.
    no one will be found in a bog years later,
    no one had to endure a vicious rape by terrorists because of this incident
    But nobody is saying it's as bad as those, doesn't mean they can't criticise it.

the assumption being that I would react differently if another politician mocked the sound of another language). Which I ignored (because it was irrelevant)
    Kinda like the way you... constantly... throw in whatabouting when it's not of relevance?
    I'm familiar with your posts for many years - my assumptions are not without foundation.

I'm familiar with your posts for many years

you do mean many days, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

You only need to listen to Campbell's response to what he said to realise that he shouldn't be taken seriously at all. His idea of British 'culture' in the north is waving a flag and marching down streets to prove themselves.

Anyone who wants a united Ireland with these lot needs to have a long hard think.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Maybe Campbell(good Scottish name) should look across the water at the land of his ancestors and see how things are handled in the Scottish Parliament (Parlamaid na H-Alba) with regards to how they deal with the Gaelic Language??

• Advertisement

kingchess wrote: »
    Maybe Campbell(good Scottish name) should look across the water at the land of his ancestors and see how things are handled in the Scottish Parliament (Parlamaid na H-Alba) with regards to how they deal with the Gaelic Language??

Hmmm,.... throw in a bunch of well dressed ex-terrorists into the mix and it might not run so smoothly in Parlamaid na H-Alba land.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a united Ireland with these lot needs to have a long hard think.

so you`re tarring a million people with the same brush?

very friendly attitude.

It's a perfect example of pettiness. Let the Unionists have their damn flag. Why does it matter? SF poked loyalists with a stick and condemned the consequences.

So if someone's going to threaten violence just give them what they want? I'd hate to live in your democracy. I would say I cant believe that someone is on here accusing a democratic compromise of being petty as opposed to the knuckledraggers who tried to burn belfast to the ground, but given your previous posts it doesnt require much of a leap of imagination.

So if someone's going to threaten violence just give them what they want?
    Only when loyalist. And probably Israeli.

Only when loyalist. And probably Israeli.

oops, lets throw a little bit of racism into the mix - Hey, we`re on a roll - why not !!

dear o dear

oops, lets throw a little bit of racism into the mix - Hey, we`re on a roll - why not !!

dear o dear

Racism? The poster documented a well established link between unionism/loyalism and the apartheid state of Israel. Where's the racism?

dear o dear

Still can't answer the questions?

Still can't answer the questions?

Still can`t figure out the answers!!!??

c`mon noddy i know you can do it..

Racism? The poster documented a well established link between unionism/loyalism and the apartheid state of Israel. Where's the racism?

must have missed that - link please??

Still can`t figure out the answers!!!??

c`mon noddy i know you can do it..

Why can't you answer? What, exactly, is the problem?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement