Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Friendly Hotel

Options
  • 03-11-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hi All

We are looking at heading to Galway for a night on the 6th Dec, do you know of any hotels that have music in the hotel bar that are family friendly ? it will be a Saturday night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.spanisharchhotel.ie Quay street
    get very busy at weekends though.

www.thetwelvehotel.ie/galway-live-music
    Barna village outside city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Clybaun have a pool and gym, they do have music sometimes in the bar but I haven't been in ages, so best to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

thanks biko the twelve looks good the kids also love the ballads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

www.salthillhotel.com and www.galwaybayhotel.net
    are both in Salthill overlooking the sea and near the city. Both have pools, music and kids' clubs. They are on city bus route too.

www.theardilaunhotel.ie is similar to the above but is 2km from sea.

Finally, www.theconnacht.ie is the biggest hotel in the city. It has all of the above facilities and is beside a cinema. It's on the other side of the city from the other hotels mentioned above.

My choice would be the Salthill Hotel. The grub is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you mean by a "family friendly" hotel - one with a baby-sitting service in the evenings, a kids playground and menu?

I doubt any will allow children to be in the bar areas in the evening when music is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

What do you mean by a "family friendly" hotel - one with a baby-sitting service in the evenings, a kids playground and menu?

I doubt any will allow children to be in the bar areas in the evening when music is on.

Thanks guys for the responses. Mrs OBumble by family friendly I mean a hotel that has pool and activity's but also a hotel that will allow kids into the bar to listen to the music. My kids love listing to live music ( not looking for a disco type pub ) especially Irish music.

We have a boat on the Shannon and enjoy some summer weekends hitting the small pubs that have ballad sessions and the kids are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

The Salthill Hotel would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

pm. wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the responses. Mrs OBumble by family friendly I mean a hotel that has pool and activity's but also a hotel that will allow kids into the bar to listen to the music. My kids love listing to live music ( not looking for a disco type pub ) especially Irish music.

We have a boat on the Shannon and enjoy some summer weekends hitting the small pubs that have ballad sessions and the kids are always welcome.

According to this link it is illegal for children under 15 to be in a bar even when accompanied after 9pm so as long as you are not planning on letting them stay past 9pm then you should be ok. I can't imagine any hotel will let children stay past 9pm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

zarquon wrote: »
    According to this link it is illegal for children under 15 to be in a bar even when accompanied after 9pm so as long as you are not planning on letting them stay past 9pm then you should be ok. I can't imagine any hotel will let children stay past 9pm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html

I've been in rural pubs where this is definitely overlooked, doesn't mean it isn't illegal though :) Some hotels turn a blind eye to kids around, particularly when there is an event and music on (weddings for example). After 9 is trickier in a lot of places. A Sunday session is often time a notable exception/different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

inisboffin wrote: »
    I've been in rural pubs where this is definitely overlooked, doesn't mean it isn't illegal though :) Some hotels turn a blind eye to kids around, particularly when there is an event and music on (weddings for example). After 9 is trickier in a lot of places. A Sunday session is often time a notable exception/different thing.

Special events such as weddings are an allowed exception to this law.

Rural pubs are a different situation, and you can be sure they don't care about the law. Its also illegal to drink drive, but it doesn't stop rural drivers from jumping into the drivers seat after going over the limit. Rural pubs tend to have a more "flexible" approach to the law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement