Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cad é seo?

• 03-11-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the English but am in need of some help for tomorrow and don't think my Irish is good enough to convey the issue.

Meant to be taking an Irish lesson with infants tomorrow and the topic is éadaí.

I have a range of flashcards and items of clothing and after introducing the vocabulary I am going pose the question; Cad é seo? And the class will respond with Seo é bríste and so forth.
    However ahr happens with socks? Do I need to change the question to Cad iad seo? and Seo iad stocaí. Or could I leave the question and just change the answer.

Also léine is feminine, do I need to change to seo í léine, but I feel like this way too complicated for the children (and me!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Duine ar bith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Well, "Cad iad seo?" is correct for "What are these?" anyway. I'm nowhere near an irish teacher but would have regarded "Seo iad blah" as presenting something rather than naming them.

Is there a reason the kids arent replying "Is stocaí iad/is geansaí é" etc.? I'd have thought that's more fitting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod note:
    KevinK wrote: »
    Duine ar bith?

You might have had more responses if you'd posted your query in the correct forum. Teach na nGealt is a Béarla-free zone. Thread moved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

KevinK wrote: »
    Also léine is feminine, do I need to change to seo í léine, but I feel like this way too complicated for the children (and me!)

It doesn't matter if you think it's complicated. Teach it right ("Is léine í"), or the kids will still be using the wrong version of it for the rest of their lives.

Advertisement