Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preparing for a test - A few quick questions

• 03-11-2014 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I know these threads are done to death but oh well!

I have my test at the end of the month and I'm fairly nervous. I can drive fairly well and confidently, my hill start is grand and so is my reverse around the corner (not 100% perfect but I no longer hit the kerb)

Anyway, what should I bring with me to my test and how well in advance should I get there?

I've never been through the road signs or pointing out the parts under the bonnet with my instructor, is that a worry? Any videos etc. online that can teach these to me?

Can someone PLEASE go step by step with me through the three-point-turn?

The driving test in my area starts from a parked position from a parking space and goes directly onto a main road. Do I indicate from the parking space or is that just unwarranted.

I really want to pass first time but the pass rate in my area is roughly 46% so it's doubtful.

Any tips and tricks ye can give me would be so incredibly helpful!

Cheers in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Get there in enough time so that you can reverse into the parking space at the test centre. It would be great if you could drive straight out of it at the start of the test, instead of reversing out of it. Yes, you should most definitely indicate when you are first pulling out of it.

For the three point turn, you will be driving along & the instructor will tell you to pull over at X point. (Pull in past that post box, pull in behind that van etc etc.) Make sure you do your observations and indicating properly. When stopped, he will give you instructions on what manouver he wants you to do. Remember to indicate and observe as appropriate before pulling out, when doing the manouver, when returning to the parked position & before pulling out out again.

I'm pretty sure the RSA's website has information and videos on what to expect during the under the bonnet checks. Basically he'll ask you to show where the oil, brake fluid, wiper fluids, power steering & brake fluids go & how you check their levels.

You'll find all the symbols and road signs in the Rules of The Road booklet.

Have you considered doing a pretest with an instructor in your area? These are all things that an instructor should be going over with you. He will also know your test area very well. He can probably give you tips on the test itself, such as which are the most popular routes for testers, where they likely to have you do the hill start, reverse around the corner and 3 pt turn, in addition to giving you pointers about your driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Get there in enough time so that you can reverse into the parking space at the test centre. It would be great if you could drive straight out of it at the start of the test, instead of reversing out of it. Yes, you should most definitely indicate when you are first pulling out of it.

For the three point turn, you will be driving along & the instructor will tell you to pull over at X point. (Pull in past that post box, pull in behind that van etc etc.) Make sure you do your observations and indicating properly. When stopped, he will give you instructions on what manouver he wants you to do. Remember to indicate and observe as appropriate before pulling out, when doing the manouver, when returning to the parked position & before pulling out out again.

I'm pretty sure the RSA's website has information and videos on what to expect during the under the bonnet checks. Basically he'll ask you to show where the oil, brake fluid, wiper fluids, power steering & brake fluids go & how you check their levels.

You'll find all the symbols and road signs in the Rules of The Road booklet.

Have you considered doing a pretest with an instructor in your area? These are all things that an instructor should be going over with you. He will also know your test area very well. He can probably give you tips on the test itself, such as which are the most popular routes for testers, where they likely to have you do the hill start, reverse around the corner and 3 pt turn, in addition to giving you pointers about your driving.

Thanks for all of the help! I'm going to book a pre-test/lesson soon. It's just hard to organise a time since I'm still in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Troxck wrote: »
    I know these threads are done to death but oh well!

I have my test at the end of the month and I'm fairly nervous. I can drive fairly well and confidently, my hill start is grand and so is my reverse around the corner (not 100% perfect but I no longer hit the kerb)

Anyway, what should I bring with me to my test and how well in advance should I get there?

Learner permit and your lesson logbook (not needed anymore but bring it anyway.) Make sure the tax, NCT and insurance are up to date on the car or they will cancel the test. Also make sure your lights and indicators are working because they check. Get there about 15 mins early.

I've never been through the road signs or pointing out the parts under the bonnet with my instructor, is that a worry? Any videos etc. online that can teach these to me?

Well it is because you'll be tested on both of those. You should have been going through the signs on your own time really. Before you go out for the test they pull out a sheet that has road signs on it and you have to identify a few at random. You'll also be asked 2/3 questions before you go out about yellow box junctions etc.

When you go out to the car they'll ask you to open the bonnet and identify some things; where you put the oil, brake fluid etc. You also might be asked about how you would measure the oil level.

When you get into the car they'll ask some quick questions; how you use the de-fogger, fog lights etc.

Can someone PLEASE go step by step with me through the three-point-turn?

Has your instructor taught you how to do them?

The driving test in my area starts from a parked position from a parking space and goes directly onto a main road. Do I indicate from the parking space or is that just unwarranted.

You have to indicate out of the space. Remember to indicate into it when you come back, you could be marked even at that stage.

I really want to pass first time but the pass rate in my area is roughly 46% so it's doubtful.

Any tips and tricks ye can give me would be so incredibly helpful!

Cheers in advance! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I highly recommend pre-tests, the instructor will go into "exam mode" and act and even speak just like a instructor. They can highlight any areas for improvement and get you used to the flow of the test.

I also found these videos fairly useful: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheISMNationwide/videos

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I think relaxing is the main thing when it comes to the test. Just try to imagine it as any given drive with any given passenger. Concentrate on the road and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Thanks for all the advice guys! I passed today, although with 7 Grade 2 faults, not the best but at least I know where I need improving. :-)

Advertisement